• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A few quick, easy questions

TNSAF

.22LR
Thanks for your help guys! I own a Mossy 590A1.

1. Will a bronze brush hurt my barrel? Is a nylon brush better?

2. Is it ok to work the brush back and forth or am I supposed to only push it one way (the way the round travels)

3. Is it a good idea to put the gun in a silicone treated/impregnated gun sock for storage? Is that ok for a parkerized finish?

4. What is the best way to clean a parkerized finish?

5. What do I use a cotton swab rod attachment for? If it is for lubrication at the end of cleaning, do I need to do more than one pass? Should I run a dry swab/patch through afterward to make sure theres not excess lubricating oil in the barrel?

6. Is there a good cleaning rod that I should buy? I heard the Hoppes cleaning rod that comes in the standard shotgun kit can be cheap and bend in the middle where it screws together, during cleaning. I don't want that to happen inside my barrel.

Thanks for helping me out guys. I appreciate it a lot.

Attachments

• Mossy.jpg
    Mossy.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 161
1.) The whole idea behind the bronze brush it that is a softer metal and won't scatch a steel barrel.

2.) Brush the dirt one way out the barrel...not into the action

3.) Yes

4.) wipe down with an oily ( not soaking wet ) rag or silicone cloth

5.) I don't use the mop...unless I'm dusting out the barrel before shooting. I use a bore snake...

6.) Other rods are available...teflon coated comes to mind.

2.) Brush the dirt one way out the barrel...not into the action

5.) I don't use the mop...unless I'm dusting out the barrel before shooting. I use a bore snake...

I will be cleaning the barrel with it removed from the gun so dirt falling into the action won't happen. With that being said, is it ok to brush it back and forth or just in one direction? Isn't that how most guys clean the barrel? How would I push a rod in through the breach if the shotgun is fully assembled? I just figured I could clean it better with it removed from the gun.

And

Is the mop used for cleaning the same way a boresnake would be? I thought it would be for applying lubricating oil or solvent. If it is for applying solvent, I think a brush doused with solvent would do a better job, right?

Back