• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A few Thoughts on Personal Safety

NCLawman

In today’s society from the big city to rural America you cannot take your personal safety lightly. In my profession I have found that many good people become victims because they fail to react at the first sign of danger, maybe because they are too trusting, or embarrassed to react. I’ll tell you about a brief encounter that I had off duty that turned out well, and hope that it helps someone reading this.

Last Monday while I was off duty I went to the Post Office in town to send out some Ebay packages for Mrs. 131. While leaving the parking lot I observed a man walking on the side walk preparing to cross the exit. I stopped, and motioned for him to cross in front of me. As he did, we both exchanged a friendly wave, and as he passed, looked back and asked “How are you doing?” I simply answered “Fine. Thank you.” And that should have been the end of that. The pedestrian turned back and started to walk back to my vehicle. Recognizing that I was not in a position to react to a physical confrontation (seated position, in a vehicle, not able to see his hands, blocked by traffic). I reacted with a firm voice. “I don’t recognize you! I recommend that you step back please!” The pedestrian turned and went about his way as I did to.

About two days later, while on duty, this fellow and I ran into each other again. After he identified himself to me I was able to recall that we met the previous Saturday during a brief call for service. He and I talked briefly and I told him that I didn’t recognize him during our last encounter and meant no hard feelings. We shook hands and went about our own way.

Call it like you see it, be direct, don’t be embarrassed to react. Take care and be safe.

Excellent point! In additional to being willing to risk embarrassment by suggesting that someone not interfere in your "business", I've also found it helpful to cultivate a persona that communicates the same message. I'm not a big guy by any means, but a number of people - after they have gotten to know me - have indicated that I looked "intimidating" or "no-nonsense" or "military" or something similar when they first encountered me.

An ounce of prevention ....

Good story and a good point to make. Most people, I believe, only look within their personal space and no further. We've not been trained to maintain an active situational awareness (SA) beyond that. The first thought I had when you mentioned this, was of the shooting in Texas a while back. A man walked into a restaurant and started shooting. He killed several people.

I've had two major incidents in my life. The first one was when I was a teenager. I walked with some friends to a store to get some junk food. When we walked in the clerk was on the phone stuttering and shaking. She had just been robbed before we walked in. In the second one, I was a security guard getting ready to go to my first site, I usually stopped at a particular convenience store to get coffee. I walked in on a robbery. Fortunately he did not have a firearm. He took the clerk hostage and I called the police.

It's very easy to become complacent and not be aware of your surroundings. When I walk my dog, especially, at night, I always carry some form of protection and a flashlight. I've been surprised once or twice and that gave me a wake up call that I was not keeping aware like I should.

While a majority of the time we are safe and secure in our person, there ARE people that would attempt to deprive us of that security. We ultimately are responsible for that security. Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away!

Good thread, good posts, good information.

Act bold. Be confident and don't hold back on projecting body language that says "I am strong and watchful."

It works.

10-4 Kodiak and Nitesite. While I am a Police Officer myself, I would like to thank Kodiak for his last comment. Unfortunatly the Police or Sheriff's can not be every place at once.

my situational awareness has saved my butt more than once...i try to teach the habit from others that are close to me, but it's hard...luckily for me @ 6'4 and 240lbs of not fat i tend to scare most problem starters away from me so i dont encounter much trouble, but what really concerns me is how to teach the habits i have to people i love like my mother and my fiance. at least i got them both to carry pepper spray

Always been naturally aware of my surroundings and I believe that the way you carry yourself can deter most random criminal opportunities. Twice I have been in situations where I was stopped and outnumbered......the first one I was able to talk my way out of and let's just say the second situation, their window of opportunity closed too quickly for them to follow through. I never over estimate my personal safety. Here in Canada, CC is a distant dream.

I have had several instances at home where I had to be firm with strangers. Several times, when getting home and unloading the kids from the vehicle, strangers approach us from the street. I put up my hand and order them to stop/wait before they set foot on my property, thus allowing the kids to get safely into the house. Once the kids are safe, I direct the stranger to state his business from the street. I had to brandish my weapon only one time when a stranger did not stop when ordered to do so. He continued onto my property and got closer to the kids. The kids were on the same side of the vehicle as he was and I had to confront him at gun point. Vigilance is an important key to being safe.

All these posts of various encounters, shows just how often personal space is invaded and how important SA really is!

@NCLawman, thank you for the compliment and for your service to the community. I've always believed that LE is reactive and not proactive especially when it comes to personal safety.

Great post with some great examples! I've never had any real situations where I needed to be firm, but I do try to stay very aware of my surroundings. My wife actually calls me safety patrol making fun of me lol. But in the event something comes up, she will be thankful. You guys have any tips to teach young children in any dangerous situations, besides just telling them what to do in a specific scenario?

ToastiestLemon said:
Great post with some great examples! I've never had any real situations where I needed to be firm, but I do try to stay very aware of my surroundings. My wife actually calls me safety patrol making fun of me lol. But in the event something comes up, she will be thankful. You guys have any tips to teach young children in any dangerous situations, besides just telling them what to do in a specific scenario?
I remember watching a show, where parents left their kids at home alone and someone tried to get them to open the front door. This was all staged so the kids were safe. Regardless of what the parents taught the kids, most of them opened the door anyway. The one that sticks out in my mind was a guy came to the door with a puppy, balloons and a gift box. At first the kids hesitated but couldn't resist.

Kids don't have the same mindset that an aware adult has. Teach your kids the best you can, BUT don't let them get into bad situations. An example would be that your in a hurry, do you take the short cut through the dark alley and get there on time or do you stay in a lighted area and go around the block and be late and safe? A kid has a dilemma now. On time but with risk and not get in trouble or be safer but late and in trouble.

Trust but verify. Teach your kids, trust your kids, verify your kids actions! BTW, I have four sons.

Sounds like some good advice. I guess like with anything else it's a process. Takes time, dedication, hard work, and faith. Much thanks for the advice.

Back