• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Action Control Release on Mossberg 500

Shoten Tactical

Tactical Support Director
Sponsor
In 1961, the first Mossberg 500 came off the assembly line and recently, they celebrated the 10,000,000th product. Versatility, accuracy, reliability and consistency. Within the last few years, the use of Pistol Grip Only and/or Tactical Pistol Grip Stocks has created a difficulty in using the Action Control Release located on the left side of the receiver behind the trigger guard. Shoten Armory has resolved this issue 100% with the Patented Extended Slide Release Lever. http://www.shotenarmory.com/products-and-pricing.php.

What methods have you successfully used to deal with this?

I resolved this by not using a PG only stock. :D I do use a PG stock on my turkey gun but that it used only for the recoil reducing qualities, I really don't like PG's on a shotgun.

That said I like the solution you came up with and would definitely give it a go if I used that setup more extensively.

Many have resolved to go outside of the PGO and tactical stocks which are also pistol grip. Reasons vary, of course, but the issue with the Action Control Release is certainly one.
There is, however, a heavy percentage of Mossberg Shotgun owners who do use the PGO and Tactical Stocks with Pistol Grip configuration. This applies to the 500, 535,835, 590A1
and the Maverick 88. The Shoten Armory Extended Slide Release Lever is a direct fit to all of the above. A PGO setup does take some realistic training to use correctly. Many don't like
them, but those who do certainly have their reasons. For those who do use the above setup, The Shoten Armory Extended Slide Release Lever eliminates the problems of accessing the
OEM Action Control Release. When using the above setup, an ammo switchover can be a disaster especially in a high stress situation. Bears have been known to roll up just about
anywhere and when that Tom Turkey is replaced by a large bear, that qualifies as a high stress situation also and most likely an ammo switchover and a defined need to maintain
line of sight and target acquisition. Try it in real time with a pistol grip tactical stock with the OEM Action Control Release. I've seen experienced shotgun instructors fumble rounds
during an ammo switchover while using a tactical pistol grip stock and the stock OEM Action Control Release even when using the recommended 18" workspace many subscribe to. One
can go to http://www.shotenarmory.com/products-and-pricing.php to see it further.

Since the last time we posted, there have of course been advances not only in the design and finish of the Shoten Armory Extended Slide Release but also its popularity. 82nd Airborne contacted us as they use pistol grip 500s in their breaching teams and saw a direct need for the lever. Other branches of the service using the 500 for similar purposes have also become involved and the usefullness of the lever in the 590 and 590A1 has also been explored and found to be extremely useful. Additionally, at Shoten Armory, I took it upon myself to spend a good amount of time and effort which has resulted in a 500 you can reliably completely cycle fully with one hand! This obviously has its benefits and has become a show stopper when one can clear six plates at 15' with one hand. This wouldn't be possible without the lever and our exclusive porting service. With over 10,000,000 Mossberg 500s produced since 1961 and with at least 25% now wearing a PGO or pistol gripped tactical stock, it amazes us that more are not using it. In any event, we have been able to get the 500 to accomplish more than anyone would've thought possible. For this, I am grateful and pleased.

Some of the greatest ideas are the simple ones. Great job on the lever and can't wait to get one for mine.

Mossberg has had three samples of the Extended Slide Release Lever for almost a year and haven't done a thing with it continually saying it is 'backed up in testing' which is crap. Mossberg and others have been using PGOs and pistol grip oriented stocks and grips for almost 15+ years and I know that we are NOT the first to have recognized the obvious issues with the smaller OEM Action Control Release and obviously many before us went to Mossberg with complaints though they never did anything about it. We did and now they're sitting on it. That is one of the things which is limiting it use.

Back