• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Action Slide Locked to the Rear

Ghmann

.270 WIN
Brand new 590A1. I've had it about 2 weeks and fired 15 rounds through it. I have cycled it a couple hundred times with dummy rounds with no problems until this afternoon. I was cycling the dummy rounds through it and the slide locked back. I mean solid..no movement, no wiggle, no nothing.

I pointed the barrel downward on my work bench and put some weight on it. That unlocked it, but when I racked it again, it locked back again. Did that 3 more times, and suddenly it's working fine. I racked it 15 or 20 times and it seems perfect again.

I read the trouble shooting thread relating to the shell stop problem they were having back in 2013. Is this the same problem? I don't want it to lock up again at the worst time.

It very likely is the shell stop.

When it locks up, you should be able to see the action bar stuck behind the shell stop. When was your 590A1 made? Sometimes these guns will sit in a warehouse for a year or more before they make it out to retail. The problem has been less frequent lately, but we have seen the odd issue with new shotguns every now and then...

Mine appears to have been manufactured sometime after Sep 2014, going by the info posted in another thread on this forum. I checked the shell stop when it was locked up and didn't appear to be in front of or over the action bar. It seemed to be in the normal position to me. I have cycled the action 30 or 40 times since it first happened and haven't been able to duplicate it. Possibly something was jammed in there somewhere, but I never saw anything.

Have you disassembled, degreased, and cleaned the gun yet?

My 590A1 shipped from the factory looking like it'd gone through a shake 'n bake with soot from a coal stove. It was so gunked up inside and out that it'd barely cycle. Gave it a detailed clean and lube, then it's been good to go since...

Have you disassembled, degreased, and cleaned the gun yet?

My 590A1 shipped from the factory looking like it'd gone through a shake 'n bake with soot from a coal stove. It was so gunked up inside and out that it'd barely cycle. Gave it a detailed clean and lube, then it's been good to go since...
I have not taken it down any farther than removing the barrel. I watched a video on how to field strip it. Guess I was a little intimidated by all the parts. I wiped everything I could reach inside the receiver and lubed it a little. Tomorrow, I will tear it down completely and clean and lube it properly.

I tore it down completely and cleaned and lightly lubed everything. Cycled a hundred or so dummy rounds through it and shot 15 rounds of buckshot at the range. It hasn't locked up again since that one time. Gonna call it good to go.

Back