• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

action too stiff?

Ttutt

.270 WIN
I hear of people saying their action being as smooth as glass. while I don't have alot of shotgun experience, I can definitely attest that my action is anything BUT glass-like.

how might I go about slicking up the action on my 500a? might it be as simple as rounding off corners and edges of certain parts and polishing others?

Put a few hundred rounds through it and it takes care of that on its own. The actions can be a bit stiff at first, but will loosen up naturally with use.

You can try smoothing things out and buffing here and there but nothing seems to work as well as just shooting it and letting the parts wear together naturally.

If you can't make it to the range, just cycling it several times a day can do wonders over a short period of time.

Try dipping the whole rifle into a vat of used french-fry oil, you can prolly pick some up at a local fast food joint for free. Then let most of the fry oil drip out, then proceed to shoot a few boxes of magnum loads. After that should be right as rain AND you will have the benefit of the wonderfull french-fry smell cooking off your gun as it warms up :)

DISCLAIMER: please do not attempt anything I just posted above while in theory it may work and provide a nice aroma to your shooting I am almost positive it is very very bad for your shotgun.

rats. I was already planningto go to the nearest krispy kreme and get a batch of that oil. ;-)

better yet, douse it in linseed oil and let the heat from firing polymerize the excess. nice and gummy.

what not to subject your poor shotgun to. could make a fun thread.

rats. I was already planningto go to the nearest krispy kreme and get a batch of that oil. ;-)

better yet, douse it in linseed oil and let the heat from firing polymerize the excess. nice and gummy.

Ttutt said:

Hmmm don't know what would be better donut smell or french fry...

In all seriousness though. Both Shotguns I have owned one of them being a Mossberg 500A got smoother the more I fired it.

Just sit on the couch watching TV and cycling the action. People may look at you funny, but I'll guarentee that no one will be too loud to hear it. Worked in my house... *evil grin*

Back