• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ADJUSTABLE POWER: Rimfire Scope Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Adjustable Power scopes for rimfire rifles? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I have a NCStar 3x9x40 on my 802 and love it.
100_3212-1.jpg

Just ordered a Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32 rimfire scope for an upcoming build project...

Adj Size: 1/4 MOA @ 100 yds
Magnification: 3-9x
Objective: 32mm
Field of View: 33/11ft @ 100 yds
Eye Relief: 3.75"
Tube Diameter: 1"
Length: 12"
Weight: 10.3 oz
Finish: Matte Black
Reticle: Truplex

I'll update with pics and a review once it arrives.

I've been using a tasco 3-9 on my tac-22 for a while.

Love it, cheap, clear optics, fast, no focusing to mess with.

3-9 is a very good mid-speed optic. Enough magnification to reach out a bit. ID targets at range, but still be able to crank down and function for closer quarters

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325564205.469902.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325564205.469902.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,415
My favorite .22 rimfire scope has been a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5~4.5x - 32mm. Great eye relief, and the 1.5x comes in downright handy a lot of times. Also it is very compact and doesn't overbalance the looks of the smaller rifles.

I've bought three and been happy with every one and paid I think around $100 each.

Bore sighted the Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32 on my Remy 597 this morning and headed out to the range for sight-in.

The first three shots of the day at 50yds yielded a .5" spread (1 MOA)...

...and here is the worst 50yd grouping of the day. It was a full ten round mag shooting fairly quickly that yielded a 1" spread (2 MOA)...

All other ten round groups averaged around .75" (1.5 MOA). I started out with 50rds of the 36gr CCI Mini Mags and then switched to 40 grain Federal Target AutoMatch bulk. All rounds performed well with not a single mis-fire or jam. The only ammo that gave me any difficulty was the Remington .22lr Golden Bullets. The bullets wouldn't even stack properly in the mag and I couldn't get through a single mag because the second round wouldn't feed. I have no issues with the ammo in my pistols, but I won't be using it in my 597 anymore. Go figure, the only rounds that gave me problems in my Remington rifle was Remington ammo.

I'm VERY pleased with the scope's performance and can't wait to take her back out.

Mueller makes very nice optics for a moderate amount. I've talked with them on several occasions and the lower price is due to the fact they don't spend very much on advertising, not a lack of quality.

I'm using a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 scope on my 10/22. It's fun to shoot and hit what you're aiming at with real precision!

The rifle
2012-01-05_07-18-45_119.jpg

2012-01-05_07-22-31_722.jpg

The result (3 rds)
2012-01-05_17-00-07_982.jpg

Most of my 22's are iron sights, but I do have a compact fixed 4x30 AIM scope on one of my rifles.

It does surprisingly well.

rossigroup003.jpg

I've got my scope all dialed in, just going through different types of ammo now to see which is the most consistent and which ones my rifle likes best. The group shot above was with some pretty cheap federal bulk ammo. I've got about 5 different brands waiting to be tested.

smykowski said:
I've got my scope all dialed in, just going through different types of ammo now to see which is the most consistent and which ones my rifle likes best. The group shot above was with some pretty cheap federal bulk ammo. I've got about 5 different brands waiting to be tested.

I consider this all part of the fun of learning a gun and spending time behind the trigger is my favorite part about it.

John A. said:
I consider this all part of the fun of learning a gun and spending time behind the trigger is my favorite part about it.

couldn't agree more, and let's be honest, you don't get much cheaper than 22's as far as shooting is concerned.

I own two Nikon rimfire scopes. Everyone who has looked down them always compliments them the brightness, the clarity and the quickness to sight in. IMO the best scope fore the buck.

Lazy-

that simmons scope still holding up well? I was thinking about ordering the same one for my Marlin .22wmr, everything I have read online makes it sound like a good scope for a good price.

100_2801.jpg

100_2803.jpg

100_2804.jpg

Leupold VXII 6-18x40 AO. Has the target dot reticle. It's great on the rifle it's on (Remington 513T), but it'd be overkill on something used for a hunting rifle or a plinker. Certainly the nicest scope I own.

100_2652.jpg

100_2654.jpg

100_2649.jpg

100_2650.jpg

100_2655.jpg

This one's gone now, and in the pictures it's mounted on a M700 Varmint Special in 6mm, but I found it to be an awesome piece of glass for a .22. It was mounted on my Savage MKII when I sold it to my brother. It's a 6.5-20x 44mm Simmons 44 MAG with an Adjustable objective, resettable target knobs, and a mil-dot reticle. Still produced under the Weaver 40/44 model line, though I believe they have a different external appearance treatment, and low profile target knobs.

I've tried all kinds of "target" scopes on .22s, from Tascos to NcStars to the Leupold above, and these are the only two I've gotten any kind of long-term consistency from, as far as the adjustments go. The lower-priced stuff just doesn't hold up under a lot of use.
With that said, my hunting .22s Tasco and Bushnell 4x scopes. I zero them for 40 yards and let them alone, though.

nitesite said:
My favorite .22 rimfire scope has been a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5~4.5x - 32mm. Great eye relief, and the 1.5x comes in downright handy a lot of times. Also it is very compact and doesn't overbalance the looks of the smaller rifles.

I've bought three and been happy with every one and paid I think around $100 each.
Got one on my AR - was looking for a 1-4 and came across this Bushnell at a great price!

I am sold with the Nikon scopes... Most of my rifles have the Nikon Prostaff with the exception of my Savage 243 and Marlin 17HMR which have 3200 Bushnell Elite and BSA sweet 17 respectively.... I'm in the process of replacing my BSA with another Nikon Prostaff.... I'm not happy with the BSA it's kind of blurry to me but it could be because of my bifocal glasses.... Too old I guess.... LOL

Back