• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ADJUSTABLE POWER: Target/Precision Shooting Scope Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Adjustable Power scopes for target/ precision shooting? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

Re: ADJUSTABLE POWER: Target/Precision Shooting Scope Option

I've always been a budget optics guy and have used NcStar Scopes for a while. They work very well for my needs and have yielded great, consistent performance at the range. I use the Shooter II series 10-40x50 Rangefinder on both of my Remy 700s...

Features:

■ One piece anodized aluminum main tube
■ Multi Coated Lenses
■ Four times Zoom Range
■ Quick Focus eyepiece
■ Reticles illuminate in Red with multiple brightness setting
■ Target style adjustment knobs with turret caps
■ Includes one inch aluminum weaver style rings, lens caps, and an extra battery

Specs:

■ MAGNIFICATION: 10X-40
■ TUBE DIA. 1"
■ OBJECTIVE DIA. (MM) 50.00
■ FOV (FEET AT 100 YARDS) 19.4-2.6
■ EYE RELIEF (in) 3.35-3.54
■ EXIT PUPIL(MM) 4.4-1.1
■ RETICLE: RANGEFINDER
■ N.W(OZ.) 27.16
■ LENGTH (in) 19.88
■ CLICK VALUE : 1/8 M.O.A
■ EXTERIOR FINISH: MATTE BLACK
■ LENS COATING: GREEN
■ MOUNT INCLUDED: WEAVER STYLE RINGS

Here's some pics of them all mounted up...

I picked these up a couple years ago at opticsplanet.com for about $150. They're on sale now for under $120, http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-illu ... efr10.html

I also use an NcStar Mark III Series 10-40x50 G-Ill. Rangefinder on my Bushmaster...

Features:

■ One piece anodized aluminum main tube
■ Multi Coated Lenses
■ Four times Zoom Range
■ Quick Focus eyepiece
■ Reticles illuminate in Red with multiple brightness setting
■ Target style adjustment knobs with turret caps
■ Includes one inch aluminum weaver style rings, lens caps, and an extra battery

Specs:

■ MAGNIFICATION: 10X-40X
■ TUBE DIA. 30mm
■ OBJECTIVE DIA. (MM) 50.00
■ FOV (FEET AT 100 YARDS) 19.8-2.7
■ EYE RELIEF (in) 2.0-3.0
■ EXIT PUPIL(MM) 5-1.25
■ RETICLE: RANGEFINDER
■ N.W(OZ.) 23.70
■ LENGTH (in) 15.50
■ CLICK VALUE : 1/8 M.O.A
■ EXTERIOR FINISH: MATTE BLACK
■ LENS COATING: GREEN
■ MOUNT INCLUDED: WEAVER STYLE RINGS

Great scope for the price, http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-new- ... ens-s.html

I have owned numerous budget optics over the years and only 2 scope that were what I considered high dollar and that was a Bushnell Yardage pro 3-12 scope with built in digital rangefinder that showed the distance in scope about 1/4 way down the reticle. For anyone needing long range precision, it's very handy. That scope was around $750 new.

LR2upgradesneekpeek001.jpg

The other was a Schmidt and Bender that I put on a Barrett M82A1 that I bought to resale. The scope and badger rings were about 3 grand by themselves.

barrett50bmgsbpm2scope006.jpg

barrett50bmgsbpm2scope004.jpg

Barrettinpelicancase.jpg

Simmons has always performed well for me. I really like their 3-9x50's for a bright picture.

tigerstripe002.jpg

Bushnell used to be my preferred optic of choice, but I felt a little burned by their unwillingness to warranty my Bushnell Holosight scope and now will not buy any more of them. Actually I am leary of any of their products anymore and only own 3 now as I have sold the rest of them.

camo001-1.jpg

Lately, I have been using Barska scopes with good success. They're clear and pretty bright and watertight :lol: Nitrogen filled that helps prevent the lens from fogging on those cold mornings.

The first Barska I got was a 1.5-6x42 that I use on my 5.56 AR for coyote hunting and it also has an illuminated center.

The other is a 3-9x42 and non-illumintated, and it's on my 6.8 medium game AR. It has performed great in all weather conditions.

huntingARs015.jpg

Aimpoints are alright, although I prefer the Eotech reticle

MP5Kcompletecollapsed.jpg

NFAgrouppictures006-1.jpg

I've never had any success with NCstar scopes, although I tried 2 of them years ago, I was less than impressed with them. 1 had a canted cross hair and the other required a different zero when going back and forth between the lowest to highest power magnification. That one seemed to "jump" when you would adjust the magnification enough that you could actually see it wiggle.

The very old BEC scopes were alright, but the newer ones are total crap and not even airsoft worthy. I bought one and tried to do a water immersion camo on it when I did my 6.8 AR and it leaked like a sieve. it took months for the inside of the scope to dry out completely and there's no way I would put that on a gun that I use. Here's a couple of my old BEC's. The first is a little reflex on the Max10 SMG and the bottom pic was the old 3-9x44 scope I used to have.

Max10NineHKPDWfurniture008.jpg

425yardbobcat-1.jpg

I dont' like BSA scopes. I looked through one of their "cat's eye" scopes and could not get the focus to adjust at all. Maybe it was a fluke, but I didn't like it at all. Especially that ugly greenish hue. Although the little reflex dot I have on the PS22 conversion SMG upper is alright

Heman009.jpg

Tasco is so-so, although they're owned by Bushnell now and see my comments above where that is concerned.

Weaver and Leupy and others have always proven good for me too.

Sweet!

Thanks for the input Sir.

What would you do if you were in my position?

My .308 will primarily be used for target shooting, but I'll occasionally use it for deer hunting as well. I know that I'm going with a 50mm. What magnification would you suggest? I feel that 3-9x is not quite enough for target, but 10-40x is way too much for hunting.

Do you think that a 4-16x would be a decent compromise? Most of my target shooting is within 350 yards.

I think a 4-16 would be adequate for either purpose.

4x16 would probably be good. I know a lot of military sniper rifles don't use very high magnification. I'm pretty sure the Canadian C3A1 Parker hale .308 uses a fixed power 10x or 12x. Effective range of 800+ yards.

For target, I prefer higher magnification so it doubles as a spotting scope at closer ranges. Such as being able to see your own holes at 100.

I had a ZOS 6-25, 69 dollar paperweight. Worked great on my .17hmr, the .308 would make it shift focus. And the adjustments were way off. Blurry at high magnification
On the .17
b8973f90-c21d-04cd.jpg

On the .308
b8973f90-c24b-1fdc.jpg

6-25X56 millet LRS ($350 on ebay with rings) is currently mounted on my .308, it works okay. Massively massive too, but it works.
b8973f90-c0cb-6045.jpg

My first high dollar scope is off to a bad start being backordered... :(

what is it about a 3x9 thats not working for you at your yardage ?

The 3x9 works fine. I just feel that the higher magnification would allow me to be more accurate when target shooting.

what kind of grouping are you getting at 300 now ?

So really not that far off moa. Have you tried other ammo? Sounds like you are doing well. 3 inches is 1 moa at 300 yards right ? Bigger scope might help if everything else has been tried and the gun is actually capable of better grouping. Sounds like you are having a good time anyway

4-5 groups at 300 yards is not really too bad at all I dont' think. matter of fact, is down right respectable.

But a scope with more magnification, and/or one with a thinner crosshair may help shrink the group some too, especially if you're already doing that well.

I don't know which model Barska scope you're using, but the cross hairs in my Barska scopes are a bit thick for very long range precision accuracy.

Mine gets me minute of animal without breaking a sweat which is what I use mine for and works great at, but could use a little thinner center crosshair if it's precision you're going after.

The 3-9x42 Barska I have has a little circle around the cross hair center. Since I use it deer hunting, doesn't bother me any, but I could see how it could be a little "busy" for precision.

That scope is a Ridgeline model and they call it the EZ shot Reticle.

BKAC10820.jpg

The other Barska scope I use is a 1.5 - 6x42 Barska ProHunter model with an illuminated center crosshair they call the 30/30 that I use coyote hunting.

BKAC10816.jpg

Again, good for the distances I use it for, and illumination for how it is used (mainly in the dark) works great for me.

But again, would be a little thick for trying to be surgically precise. Especially with it illuminated, which seems to make it even thicker.

The Barska on my gun now is a 3-9x40 with a 30/30 reticle. Thanks for the help guys. Especially you Oli.

yep, keep up the good work

Also take a look at SWFA, I don't have any personal experience with them due to ridiculous export policies. But I have heard nothing but rave reviews from some very picky people. Their price point isn't a but clincher either

Back