• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Advice? A 54303 now or a 54301 later?

GRV03

.22LR
Hello folks, so im in a rut and im hoping for some advice. Weve decided to make our first firearm purchase: a Mossberg 500 Tactical in 20 gauge as a home gun that the wife and i and later our children (theyre not even tweens yet) can shoot and be comfortable with in the years to come

Heres the problem, where I live model 54301 is impossible to find which is the blued version with black furniture. However the 54303 *is* readily available for pretty cheap but egad, is that ugly and even wifey is not a fan of Muddy Girl. Now im doing aome shopping and a replacement stock is fairly cheap though dont get me started on the foreend. If or when i am able to measure the action tube length then we can change that too

Any pointers or advice? Should i just get the muddy girl and replace rhe stock and later the fore end or should i just wait ir out and get the 54301 which is a gorgeous gun right out the box (but anybodys guess when itll be available again?)

Depends on how badly you want the gun right now. If you can wait, I would. On Gallery of Guns, you can sign up for e-mail notification when it becomes available.

If you don't like pink camouflage, you can always take the furniture off and spray paint it black with flat black or semi gloss krylon.

As John said is a good idea.
I took the wife's 20g and chemical stripped the stock and forend and restained it a purple color since she wanted a purple [her favorite color] stock and forend and it was much cheaper than getting the stuff milled out of purple heart wood.... way cheaper to strip and stain.

Great responses all thanks

- ive looked online at dealers listed from mossberg's site and spoken to a local shop who searched all the distributors around and he said no ones got it but i have signed up on GoG for stock watch
- i hadnt considered painting the fore end, that would be pretty simple though with spray pai t id be worried about longevity. Wouldnt want black crud on my palms in two years or less

In any case youre right we need to decide how soon we want it. Weve got a big move across the country coming in '17. Gonna have to do some research on dealers there

Back