• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aftermarket iron sights and co-witnessing question

Huntwell

Copper BB
Not sure if anyone out there would know the answer to this, but I would like to mount a scope/red dot, and want to use a picatinny adapter such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Dovetail-W ... B32422QB0J

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gea ... KV04JK55SE

but I still want to be able to co-witness some iron sights. It does not appear that the standard issue iron sights would be able to co-witness with the combination of the dovetail converter and scope, what aftermarket iron sights would work? The rear sight isn't really the issue, it's the front sight. What front sight would be able to be attached that would be tall enough to accommodate the rise from the back due to the dovetail converter? Any suggestions? Or do most or all the aftermarket sights already adjust for the rise of the picatinny adapter and would work without any problems?

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this, I would like to order the adapter and sight, but want to make sure that I have iron sights that can be co-witnessed through the reticle sight I like.

Welcome Huntwell.

Mounting a dovetail to picatinny to accomodate a red dot is pretty straight forward for the 702.

The stock sights will not co- witness even with the lowest mount available. Also you will want the red dot at the optimum height for your sight picture. Ideally one would have a picatinny rail front and rear to mount mount a new set of back up iron sights (like an AR15) that would be at the proper height to function in concert with the red dot. This would be quite an undertaking with a 702.

There are see through rails - viewing tunnels - a 'U' channel type rails that will mount a red dot on top that can be zeroed AND also allow the use of stock iron sights to be viewed independently at their stock height. THIS is probably (IMHO) the system best adapted to your wants with 'back up' sights and optics for your 702.

Sorry, meant to mention that your previous 2 links did not work.

These sights would require a front and rear picatinny rail beyond the one used for the red dot sight. I'm really not sure where or how you would mount then to accomodate the sights.

Have you looked at the 715t versions of the Mossberg 702 OR guns like the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22?!

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Dovetail-W ... B32422QB0J

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gea ... KV04JK55SE

Thanks for letting me know about the other links. Hopefully these work. I would have liked to go with something more like the 715t, but don't have the money all at once to do something like that at the moment. I plan on buying these various items for the 702 as time and money allows so I'm hoping I can piece together some more tactical elements for my budget .22.

I hadn't realized I would need an adapter for the front sight rail as well. I thought perhaps it was more like a Weaver or Picatinny than the dovetail found on the receiver.

Anyway, thanks again for the info, you have been very helpful.

I think those two items (rail with peep and red dot) will be a good start and probably serve you long term as well. That gets you an adjustable red dot while still being able to access your stock sights in the case of a failure.

The type of co-witnessing that I think I hear you describing would involve major surgery - locating new rails, proprietary parts (I don't know anything that will convert the front sight to your spec).

See how you like the new red dot set up and if you still remain interested in flip up BUIS that co-witness then I'd start saving for a gun that is built to accomodate that setup better than the 702.

Late to the party, but if you check out my "My Pair of 702s" thread here you can see my co-witness options. For picatinny, the selection I made ***just barely*** works with the stock sights.

Back