• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aguila 12 ga buckshot mini/ low recoil shell thoughts?

Im pondering some low recoil shells for my mossberg 500 with the raptor buttstock. I remembered my dad used to sell the aguila 12 ga mini buckshot shells. Just curious, if anyone has used them, how did they feed in your mossberg 500? How was the recoil? Im told the mini shell is a bit misleading and packs a punch that you might not expect. For those that have tried a few low recoil buckshot loads, any opinions on what was the lightest felt recoil shells?

Thanks

Tagged..

because I want to follow this and I have been really tempted to try the short shells.

Found this on the Midway website....
"Notes from Aguila on Shotgun Modifications to use Minishells:
First of all, any SAAMI/CIP approved 12ga shotgun may fire Minishells, be it side-by-side, over-and-under or pump action; however, the latter type will not cycle them flawlessly. The out-of-the-box shotgun that we have tested cycling Minishells very well, is the Winchester M1300 18" Defender. Winchesters 1897 seems to like the shorter rounds, however not as much as the Winchester 1300. We still have to test the Winchester 1887.

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle Minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. To further solve the problem, we have lengthened and widened the little short metal bar (shell elevator), which catches the round to be subsequently fed to the ramp and chamber. This modification will not prevent you from firing regular size shot shells. The other modification that would decisively help in the proper cycling, would be to install the ejector in a more forward position to catch the spent shorter shell and eject it, before it may flip and cause jams. However, we DO NOT recommend you to do this, because you will most likely no longer be able to fire regular size shells.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to perform the modification to the elevator described above.

REMINGTONS 870s seem to require a more involved modification, which we have never attempted. We have received calls from clients stating that they have tried our Minishells in their 870s with excellent results, and that they did not understand why we have always mentioned the potential cycling problems. To this, we would like to state once more that Minishells will not cycle flawlessly in regular pump action shotguns, no matter how well some customers are able to cycle them. Again, the Winchester 1300 Defender would seem to be the one cycling Minishells best."

FWI, it appears the the payload for the buckshot Mini shells is about half of a standard 12 gauge load. I calculated the ME to be about 980 ft lbs. Not the magic sword Excalibur, but shabby either.

Thanks for the information.

Im gonna scratch aquila off the to use list, without even trying them. I need something thats reliable and even with a modified weapon, sounds like theres still room for less than desirable function.

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on low recoil loads. Im looking for light buckshot loads.

Everything I read leads to fiocchi 00 low recoil (cheap low recoil) and federal premium LE132-1B (tight pattern, reasonably low recoil).

They were 100% in a 1300 I foolishly sold, but I would be hesitant to trust them in any other pump. They could be useful in a coach gun or an O/U for someone who might be extremely recoil sensitive such as a small framed woman. They feel extremely tame fired out of my Marlin 90.

I just tried them in my 590A1 maybe a week ago, and they worked flawlessly. Recoil is zip and they penetrated one side of an empty oil drum at about twenty feet. They almost made it through the other side as well. Not a very scientific test but I was impressed with both how well they functioned and their obvious power. Was using both mini buckshot and slugs firing as fast as I could rack the action.

csnider

csnider said:
I just tried them in my 590A1 maybe a week ago, and they worked flawlessly. Recoil is zip and they penetrated one side of an empty oil drum at about twenty feet. They almost made it through the other side as well. Not a very scientific test but I was impressed with both how well they functioned and their obvious power. Was using both mini buckshot and slugs firing as fast as I could rack the action.

csnider

Seriously? At 20 feet (approximately 7 yards) buckshot that would not cleanly penetrate BOTH sides of an empty oil drum? Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem like it's enough penetration to get a HD/SD job done. Take care. Tom Worthington.

csnider said:

csnider

How far did the buckshot not make it through? Like just a dimple? or almost to where you could see the shot sticking out?

As I said the buckshot almost made it through and made a pretty good dent on the opposite side. Forgot to mention the slugs went throught both sides.

BFTD%2B(1).jpg

I have read a lot on the net about the mini shells
Most of it is repeated internet stuff

Bought 500 of the Herter mini 00 buckshot
Will let you know how they work in a Mossy 500

Edit
I have been working 2 inch snap caps through the mossy 500 and it has been flawless
I fully expect the mini shells to work also

Last edited:
I tried some of the Aquila mini's in my old 590 Mariner a while back. They tended to flip over on the elevator. Fired ok if I could get one in the chamber. So I decided to only use them in my double.

I wish they could be 100% functionally reliable in a Mossberg pump. They would probably get Federal and Winchester to follow suit. Man, that would be a lot of 00-buck rounds in an extended tube pump gun.

(Notice that I did not use the term "shotty")

Well ammo came in
Shot it quick 10 times no problems
Will pound it with 50 rounds as soon as I can, expect no problems
Might be a works in some pump guns only thing ?

Glad they work for you. Like you said some "shottys" like 'em some don't. :D

None of my various pumps would cycle them.

They do work in a single shot, though I don't have anymore and didn't really see any advantage to using them in single shots anyway.

My Lee re-loads measure 2" and I have no problems using them in my 500. Plus I now have a 10 shot 500. ;)

My slug loads are shorter than 2 3/4" too, but not short as those aguila's.

The Herters are 2 1/4 work fine in my Mossburg 500
Only put about 24 through it but seems to work fine for me.
I like them , slightly reduced recoil , extra round capacity, enough pellets left to do its work .

Back