• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aimpro Tactical 930SPX Rail review

NoAim

.22LR
A real amateur review that is.

I had planned on doing a really nice one with good pictures, some video, etc. Well, it's already been two weeks and I still don't have it done.

Here's the short:
- Nicely built and tight
- Serves an excellent function
- It is definitely bigger in girth, but it's a necessity. This dictated some additional accessories for me.
- Would buy again.

The full review:

Mossbergwrail.jpg

Note that the light and light mount are due to be swapped out, and I'm toying with using an Aimpoint micro. The other side has a 3GunGear 2pac, leftover 6-shot side saddle on the buttstock and a Choate bolt handle.

My philosophy is that there's no reason to add weight if there's no need. The railed forearm weighs an additional 9 ounces over the stock forearm.

However, a basic barrel clamp/light mount will weigh an additional 2. So in reality, going with the full rail is a net increase of about 7 ounces (.43 pounds).

But, there's some history here. First, with the Mossberg 930SPX there are 2 different barrel diameters. Barrel clamps for 870s work for the thin barrels, but not for the newer thicker ones (I've tried). I did try just screwing on a MagPul MOE rail section on the stock handguard. There is VERY limited room inside the handguard in the foward section due to the gas block. It worked, but it wasn't great. It also felt like the light was too far to the rear (I hate tape switches).

Additionally, the 2nd gen 930SPXs have no forward sling mount. So I'd need to add that somewhere. Standard shotgun sling mounts put it where the mag tube meets the extension. With the light mount, this leaves it vertical.

Finally, I said screw it and ponied up for the full rail. Now I treat the shotgun like a rifle. Everything has a place.

The GOOD:
- This thing is TIGHT. There is no play at all between the handguard and receiver anymore.
- It's in-spec
- Comes with all the nice ladder covers (at $10/ea. these days that would be close to $60).
- I can reuse existing things I have for the rifles (grips, mounts, whatever...no more specialized stuff that is custom to tube diameters, etc.).
- The handguard doesn't reflex over the receiver as much. This clears the area around the loading gate.

The BAD:
- The rail covers are a little slippery.
- The rails add significantly to the handguard diameter. The stock handguard is as thin as they could go. Add another 1/2" in diameter for this. In fact, it's big enough around that I ended up having a problem being able to actuate the light tail switch and maintain a good grip on the gun. This is partly due to the low mount of the light (switching this soon) and the diameter.
- Because of the non-textured grip and that they are perfectly flat, it's hard to pull the gun into your shoulder. You'll see that I've added a reverse KAC handstop to help pull the shotgun into the shoulder better. Additionally, this serves as a forward sling mount out of the way of the light and my hand.

The FUTURE:
- Texture rail covers to get more grip.
- Swapping light and light mount to a Fenix TK11 and VTAC offset.
- Adding front sling swivel and rear sling mount for MS2 type sling.
- Trim up 8 shot side saddle to fit better. It's a little long. Worst case, I'll swap it out for a 7 shot. Need to play with it slung up to see what direction to go in.
- Try out Aimpoint.
- Shorten buttstock by 1". But I'll probably forgo this since it would be a giant PITA.
- Thread barrel for chokes. Need to see it pattern first.
- Add oversize safety.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the AIMPRO Tactical TriRail! I will be adding one of these to my Mossberg 930 in the near future.

Well, I did encounter a little bit of an issue.

While attempting to install the VTAC offset light mount with the light high (near the barrel) there's a clearance issue between the screw retention of the mount and the rib that runs down the top part of the rail.

I have the aimpro rail on my 930 SPX and I enjoy it, the only issue I have with it, is that the tolerances are too tight to add a heat shield.

Back