• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The AK47 Pic Thread

Dave,

What mount are you using? I tried a couple of those side-bracket mounts and they had way too much wiggle for me. I couldn't get em to hold still for nothin.

John A. said:
Here's the Integral I built.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrh82xbGp_k[/youtube]

Holy smokes, thats pretty sweet!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Dave,

What mount are you using? I tried a couple of those side-bracket mounts and they had way too much wiggle for me. I couldn't get em to hold still for nothin.

I'll have to look at the shop, I bought his one a while back for the Saiga 12.. My buddy that runs the shop uses the same mount on his Saiga 12 with EO on it.. This mount with the 3 allen head set screws won't move, I'm pretty confident in that.

And, Thank You Dan..

Makes sense.

The ones I tried had QD lever. I liked the replacement receiver cover with the tri-rail best. It had adjustment screws that tightebed it down. Now I'm just runnin irons though.

Great lookin set-up brother...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Makes sense.

The ones I tried had QD lever. I liked the replacement receiver cover with the tri-rail best. It had adjustment screws that tightebed it down. Now I'm just runnin irons though.

Great lookin set-up brother...

Thanks LAZY..

I'll keep you posted on how the mount performs, it's going to the club with me tomorrow..

Got the Saiga 308 out today with newly mounted EOtech, results are awesome!! 100 yards on this one..

Very happy with the EOtech on it. I'll play with it some more tomorrow and work on the irons which are pretty dead on anyways..

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Dave,

Lazy,

Here's one that I've had pretty good luck with, from K-VAR.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16166&cat=381&page=1

Also a link on 'how to tighten quick release side mounts'

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pso/clamp_adjustments.htm

and on this link, there are a couple different options for quick-release side mounts - made in Belarus. ;)

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html

Thanks for the links mister_e, but I'm done with optics on my AK. It's straight-up irons from here on out.

This is the tri-rail receiver cover that ended up working best for me...

The two allen screws at the rear tightened down to eliminate any wobble. It has a see through center to enable use of irons as well. But since I restored it to wood and added the Romy handguard, it just looks way better with the classic, simple receiver cover. Using the irons is just as much fun for me anyway...

I am with you Lazy when it comes to irons only on an AK47 but I may give optics a try at some point...

The mount I'm using allows use of the irons too. My buddy at the LGS has used these style mounts for a long time and never had any trouble with them and mine is great so far..

Thanks for the side mount links mister_e.

And that Saiga sure looks and shoots good Dave...!!

I'm afraid I'm with SNIPER on the iron sights on an AK...it's an in-close weapon. My AR has a red dot and I can swap out a 4x scope when needed...then there's the 3x9 scoped 700BDL for the real long shots. ;)

hey, no problem.

I keep the quick disconnects loaded with a 1-4x scope, and another with a red dot. They are both easy on-off, so switching to iron sights is a non-issue. But for quick transitions between targets, having the red dot or even the 1-4x on there can add quite a bit of accuracy - within reasonable ranges.

The thing I don't like about dust-cover mounted rails is that some of the dust covers tend to shift, which takes away your zero. I haven't tried the one that Lazy has shown, so I can't speak for that one.

On my VEPR II, cranked up to 4x, I can keep groups around 1.5" easily out to 100yds, and under 3.5" at 200yds. Alot of that also has to do with the fact that it's built around an RPK receiver, trunion, and barrel, so there is very little flex or variation. But having a good scope sure helps a bit, too, especially for these aging eyes :shock:

Sure, AR's are a bit more accurate, but this is thing has 'never' let me down yet.

SHOOTER13 said:
Thanks for the side mount links mister_e.

And that Saiga sure looks and shoots good Dave...!!

I'm afraid I'm with SNIPER on the iron sights on an AK...it's an in-close weapon. My AR has a red dot and I can swap out a 4x scope when needed...then there's the 3x9 scoped 700BDL for the real long shots. ;)

My mount is see through, I have the best of both worlds the way I see it. The red dot when the oportunity presents itself and the irons are ready to go..

My new project, Saiga 5.45 with pistol grip conversion on order from Carolina shooter..

"Debanned" MAK 90...

IMAG0029.jpg

Arsenal SGL-31

IMAG0023.jpg

Bulgy AK-74

IMAG0033-2.jpg

DaveinCT said:
My new project, Saiga 5.45 with pistol grip conversion on order from Carolina shooter..

Very nice Dave!

Lookin forward to seeing how it turns out...

OK, I'm game

Two Rommy "G's" I built from scratch,
DSC01179-1.jpg

the digi cammo one before the final cammo
DSC01075.jpg

the flame thrower Saiga 308 in silver/gunmetal
DSC00909.jpg

308 in black
DSC01213.jpg

Saiga 12
DSC01212.jpg

and I'm working on a 9mm with a Suomi drum.........

Some fine lookin' weapons there son...!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back