• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The AK47 Pic Thread

How is it possible that I haven't been in this thread yet? Silly me. I'll get some close ups of my Saiga 12gauge and pin em up her.

Dave, is there a page you can link to me for the Saiga legal stuff I can have on mine? When I bought it the gunshop told me that a pistol grip was illegal to put on mine......

ripjack13 said:
How is it possible that I haven't been in this thread yet? Silly me. I'll get some close ups of my Saiga 12gauge and pin em up her.

Dave, is there a page you can link to me for the Saiga legal stuff I can have on mine? When I bought it the gunshop told me that a pistol grip was illegal to put on mine......

Hey rip, I don't have a page of legal stuff but I do know that adding a pistol grip to the Saiga 12GA is illegal in CT. The rifles on the other hand can be modified all you want. My 5.45 is done I converted it last night in about an hour.

Before

after

Very happy with the conversion and it's nice and small and light compared to the 308..

DaveinCT said:
Hey rip, I don't have a page of legal stuff but I do know that adding a pistol grip to the Saiga 12GA is illegal in CT.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i need to figure out , when it arrives, how to remove the pistol grip but keep the recoil reducing stock...hmmm. i wonder if'll work...

Where did you purchase it, rip?? I have the knoxx recoil on my 20" 590A1 and love it. I don't think the Saiga will need it but nice to have. The AK style action on the Siaga takes a good amount of the recoil and my Siaga 12 was smooth but a bit unreliable as some require a fair amount of tinkering to shoot reliably and empty the 12 round mag or 20rnd drum. My buddy had much better luck with his while I traded mine for the 9 shot 590A1..

EDIT: Also, rip the recoil stock extends into the grip so it may be tricky. I didn't realize they made a Knoxx stock for the Siaga either..

I've got 2 stock Saiga butt stocks if you need one and on the 12GA it feels good.

I got it at Carolina shooter supply. I ordered a Phoenix stock. From what I can tell by checking out the one on my 835, I might be able to cut it off. But Idk. I really don't want to butcher it. I think I'll save it for an AK down the road when I have the funds again.

I almost picked up that exact Timbersmith stock set for my AK before I found the Romy handguard set. I love the silver-black finish. They're selling them locally at Ronnie Barrett's place for $120+tax. I've handled the set out of the box and it felt solid, appeared to be very good quality...

ripjack13 said:

==================================================================

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

http://922r.com/

==================================================================

The grip itself on a sporterized version would classify it as an assualt weapon according to 922 as far as I know.

BUT, if you put enough US made parts on the gun (including magazine, magazine follower and floorplate, furniture, fire control parts, pistons, etc), then it would be legal.

There are numerous USA made parts for AK's in general.

ATI, Tapco, Alliance Armament, Ace LTD, and the list goes on.

Thanx Shooter, and JohnA. The 922 page is great. Looks like I'll be buying a bunch of stuff from the good ole U.S.of A. for my Russian baby.

My buddy at the gun shop told me when I bought mine that it was illegal and couldn't be done. He's not just a gun salesman he's also a a firearms instructor and teaches Pistol courses. He owns a Siaga 12 himself and believe me if it could be converted it would be done by now.

I found a thread over on AR15 and this was the response that made most sense. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=348619

"A pistol grip is not legal on a Saiga 12ga in CT due to the fact that it accepts a detachable magazine. Shotguns are different, the detachable mag isn't a qualifier, it is a feature, and you can only have one 'evil' feature."

^^ This is why my 590A1's are good to go with Knoxx stocks..

In that case, you would be talking about a local/state law.

On a federal level (and in my state) it is completely fine.

As long as I replace enough parts with US stuff to be in compliant of 922.

Sucks that you live in a place that wont' let you do things that everyone else gets to do.

John A. said:
In that case, you would be talking about a local/state law.

On a federal level (and in my state) it is completely fine.

As long as I replace enough parts with US stuff to be in compliant of 922.

Sucks that you live in a place that wont' let you do things that everyone else gets to do.

It sure does John but I think we are a little better off than states like Cali, NJ and NY City..

Looking back through this thread, there are some fine looking AK's here!! :cool:

I just painted the furniture on my Saiga 5.45. My LMT made the photo too..

Like the paint job on the furniture, Dave. That turned out nice.

I wish all the Saigas were still priced like they were a couple years ago. Heck you throw a rock and find any of the shotguns for around $279, and the rifles were all priced similar. Now a shotgun is going for close to $800 :eek:

But, like you have done, they do make great AK conversions. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back