• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Alien Gear IWB (XDm 4.5") - Quick Review

Benson X

.270 WIN
I originally posted this in the "Holsters - We have 'em" Thread, but I thought it was worthy of it's own review.

I needed an IWB for my full-size (4.5") Springfield XDm. Saw a banner for Alien Gear while browsing Armslist and actually clicked on it. It was in my price range (cheap) so I went ahead and ordered one.

It took exactly 28 days to arrive, and so far I love it! Very comfortable, barely noticeable - even with a full-size 4.5" XDm. Still waiting on my Jones Tactical EDB, but it has held fine with my regular woven belt.

Seriously nice for under $40! I would highly recommend them to anyone.
  • Great quality (thick) leather
  • Thick molded Kydex
  • Incl. Extra parts and swappable components
  • Versatile mounting options and adjustments (tilt, ride height, retention /"tightness")
  • Low cost
  • 30-Day Buy-Back Guarantee
  • Free kydex shell Trade-Ins for life (if you purchase a different handgun)
  • Lifetime Warranty on all parts (incl. clips/hardware)
  • Swappable shells for different models
  • Different versions available - IWB, OWB, Padded IWB, Combo kits etc.
  • Cheesy name, but who cares
    alien.gif
IMG_20140614_000012.jpg

IMG_20140614_000134.jpg

IMG_20140613_235418.jpg

IMG_20140613_235439.jpg

This is with my full-size 4.5" XDm @ 4:00. Not exactly the most compact CC, but barely noticeable with a semi-loose T-Shirt.
IMG_20140613_235817.jpg

Here's my standard XDm OWB holster and mag-holster (the side rails are a nice touch on the mag holster)
IMG_20140613_235541.jpg

Loving the AG so far...can't say anything bad about it. :)

Here are some other reviews that I found helpful before purchasing:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...m-4-5-a-2.html
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-ta...m-4-5-a-3.html (same guy as above)
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-gear-iwb.html
http://www.txdft.com/cloak-tuck-iwb-...gear-holsters/

Make sure you Loctite the screws! Had two fall out of mine. I use the Blue version just in case I want to move them at some point.

Me and a buddy just discussed alien vs. Crossbreed last weekend. The alien has considerably thicker kydex. 1/3 the price. You can order different molds and keep using the same leather, and he thinks they're now available in horsehide. Almost a no brainer.

Make sure you Loctite the screws! Had two fall out of mine. I use the Blue version just in case I want to move them at some point.

Thanks for the heads up! My screws are still holding tight, but I might throw some Blue on there to be safe. I really like the fact they throw in extra hardware (for situations like that) :)

Me and a buddy just discussed alien vs. Crossbreed last weekend. The alien has considerably thicker kydex. 1/3 the price. You can order different molds and keep using the same leather, and he thinks they're now available in horsehide. Almost a no brainer.

Exactly, I was researching a few brands prior to AG: Crossbreed, Milt Sparks, Galco, Old Faithful etc. I didn't have it in the budget to spend over $50 on a holster, and AG seemed to have great features, good quality components, and glowing reviews. Not sure about the horsehide option, but they just released the Cloak 2.0 which has a padded neoprene backing on the inside for "improved comfort".

On a side note, there have been a few discussions about the similarities between AG and Old Faithful (design, pricepoint, features etc.). Shortly after posting my first reivew in the "Holsters" thread, I received an email from AG about the two companies merging:

"June 17, 2014

Hayden, ID – Alien Gear Holsters, the makers of quality, concealed carry holsters announces that they are merging with Old Faithful Holsters, also a manufacturer of concealed carry holsters and accessories, to become the leading hybrid holster manufacturer in the United States under parent company Tedder Industries.

The merger of Alien Gear Holsters, based in Hayden, Idaho, further increases Old Faithful Holster’s share in the concealed carry holster market. “The merger is also expected to result in greater efficiencies and significantly increase our market share,” said Thomas Tedder, president of Tedder Industries.

“A merger was arranged between Alien Gear Holsters and Old Faithful Holsters to strengthen our market position,” commented Tedder. “Our combined assets will allow both companies to continue to create quality products, allowing us to pass the savings on to our customers.”

The combined companies now have 45 employees
."

I lined the backside of the leather with moleskin. About $1 at my local grocery store. Added a bit of comfort if worn next to the skin.

The more its worn the better it feels! Alien was the only IWB I could find at the time for my SP2022. Love the retention factor.
TJ

Back