• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

American Hunter- 100 ATR .30-06

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Brought my bone stock 100ATR in .30-06 home from the LGS yesterday! :D Even though I own quite a few rifles that would get the job done as far as hunting is concerned, I wanted a purpose built rifle that would get the job done on anything I'd want to kill in North America (hence the .30-06).

I had been looking at other budget minded rifles that got good reviews, but since I'm a Mossberg fan... I decided to come back to the ATR. As the title eludes to... I'm making this an all American build... rifle, stock, rings and scope... all built right here, keeping jobs in the States. I've got a few things ordered that should be here the end of next week, and I'll elaborate on each one as I put this together.

Here are a few (REALLY BAD) pictures of the ATR as it sits now. I already removed the scope that came with it... and will probably sell or trade it for something else in the future (maybe a box of ammo???)

Got some goodies in while I was in training last week. Boyds was quick to deliver their Classic Hunter pepper laminate stock and made it to AK in 3 days! I was on the fence about which stock I wanted.. because i sure love me some classic walnut... but I didn't think the matte finish on the 100 would go well with a purty walnut stock, and I'm glad i went with the Pepper... the colors match well! I'll end up doing a garage bedding job using JB weld once the new trigger guard and action screws make it here from Mossberg (That'll be it's own thread :D)

Also got the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40, and for $200 it's damn good value and quality. I decided on the traditional 4 plex reticle since this will be my primary hunting rifle. I should also be seeing the DNZ Game Reaper one peice mount in the mail, from the reviews it looks like a stout piece and I'm excited for everything to come together! Pics will follow as the build process continues...

Totally forgot about the bolt! While I will certainly brag about being a Mossberg fan and owner... I'm not so huge on the "Mossberg" emblem on the bolt. So... I sent it off to Skip at Baldwin Jeweling to give it an unmistakeable flashy finish. For $30 I get a nice custom look and in keeping with my "Made in U.S.A" theme... giving a small town American business owner my patronage. It's already on it's way back, I'm sure I'll be happy with the results! :D

Nice. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

I really need to pick up a Mossberg rifle.

MikeD said:
Nice. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

I really need to pick up a Mossberg rifle.

My goal is to prove that these rifles can hold their weight with the big boys. I'm certainly aware of it's limitations... I won't try to take 20 shots and expect them to be under 1", I know better. I think the biggest weak point of this rifle is the follower and spring, we'll see how it performs for me, but I've got a few ideas if it starts giving me troubles.

aksavanaman said:
My goal is to prove that these rifles can hold their weight with the big boys
I'm enjoying following along AK. I am doing something similar but with a Ruger American in .308. I also considered the Savage as well as the Mossberg. I have had to deal with a defective rifle that Ruger replaced for me and cheapo scope rings. When I bought the rings it was in the middle of the post Newtown buying frenzy and it was all that Cabela's had. They won't hold zero for more than 3-4 shots. I have had a one inch 3 shot group so the potential is there. This is reminding me to get off my butt and get them replaced.

I've been wanting to invest in a nice bolt action rifle in .308 or greater... I'll be following along this build with interest!

Still waiting on the trigger guard and action srews from mossberg... they've been floating around in Anchorage for a week.... soon I hope!

Trigger guard finally came in yesterday and I was able to put it all together... without further ado...

Here's the Boyds pepper laminate stock. It's the classic hunter version and gives a nice flared cheek rest. It does add about a pound to the overall weight (which came in at 8lbs 5.6oz with everything you see). I wish I would've coughed up the extra $50 for the checkering option since the stock is pretty slick, but it's very comfortable. I also bedded the action with some JB weld... but that's for a different thread.

Here's the jeweled bolt from Skip at Baldwin Jeweling in MI. He did an outstanding job and had it back to me within a week... the picture speaks or itself :D

(If you notice the Redfield's a little far back... that's from me not torquing down enough... no wonder I had a horrible time trying to sight in! :oops: ) The DNZ mount was easy to install and is one solid piece... it also brings that 40mm objective nice and low to the barrel.

Now just need a good leather sling (made in 'Murca of course), another trip to the range now that the scope rings are torqued down and loctite'd... and she'll be ready for deer this fall! Season is open now and I can't wait to get out!

Awesome. I really like that!!!

I had a 10/22 stock from Boyd's in the same color and absolutely loved it.

You really have me wanting an ATR in 30-06. Damn You!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why did you need a new trigger guard? Was the original one molded into the stock?

Back