• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo/Mag Pouches

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
It seems that vendors of IWB hybrid magazine pouches are very proud of their work - at least if you look at the price tags. I'm sure they do quality work but it seemed to me that making such a pouch wouldn't be all that difficult.

I picked up a Kydex press last fall and made a couple projects before things got crazy with the holidays. Today I had a few spare minutes so I decided to dig it out and try my hand at a hybrid magazine pouch. About a month ago I picked up a toaster oven for something like $7.00 on a garage sale so I didn't have to clutter/stink up the kitchen by heating the Kydex in our oven. This pleases my wife greatly. :D

I have to say, it really wasn't terribly hard to make this rig. I think I spent longer looking for my tin snips, to do the rough cut on the Kydex, than I did making the thing.

Once I decided on a design, I cut the Kydex to the rough dimensions (within 1/8") that I needed. I heated up the toaster oven to 275 and popped the Kydex in on the little plate that came with the oven. I set the timer for 10 minutes and turned around to get my press set up. When I turned back, the Kydex was "cooked". The toaster oven heats up a LOT faster than my kitchen oven. Having learned a valuable lesson, I cut another piece of Kydex and set the timer to 5 minutes. Perfect. Pliable but not cooked.

Out of the oven and into the press. I set the press and went to grab a bite of lunch. After lunch, out of the press and down to the basement to cut some leather.

A few rivets and a couple clips stolen from one of my CrossBreed holsters later ...

IMAG0192.jpg

I think it came out pretty good for my first one. Retention is excellent with the Glock magazines as you can form the Kydex into the notch for the mag release. Yet, the mags draw smoothly and easily.

Next project is a hybrid holster for my Glock 20. Not a lot of companies out there making IWB holsters for the 20. :lol:

Re: Hybrid Leather/Kydex IWB Magazine Pouch Project

that my friend...is one sweet piece...
are you done with it? or are you still trimming it up?
:?: also.. where does that go on? a belt or something. just looking at the placement of the clips. is it backwards? :oops: just wondering. i'm not familiar with the placement of it...

ripjack13 said:
that my friend...is one sweet piece...
are you done with it? or are you still trimming it up?
:?: also.. where does that go on? a belt or something. just looking at the placement of the clips. is it backwards? :oops: just wondering. i'm not familiar with the placement of it...

The leather needs a bit more polishing but that's about it.

It goes inside your waistband (IWB = In Waistband) like so (sorry for the crappy pic; it's really hard to take a pic of your own waist at the 7 o'clock position).

IMAG0194.jpg

That .. is .. bad ass. How does it feel on your belt? You should definitely think about making more of those because I'd for sure pick one up. If you're taking custom orders let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. ;)

Here's a pic of the one that CrossBreed sells.

mc-iwb-single-ob.png

Feels good on my belt. The only down side is that your pants now need to be big enough to accommodate a magazine inside the waistband as well as your pistol if you carry IWB.

If you have a little bit of a jelly roll or spare tire, I would recommend the taller leather - like the one in the CrossBreed picture - to keep the bottom of the mag from digging into your side.

What gun Sn3aKy? If I have the magazine - or you want to send me one - I can make you one. No guarantee on time frame though. :roll:

aha...now it all makes sense to me...so it's a hidden holster. i was thinkin it went on the outside of the belt.

i see the crossbreed's tan leather back piece is a little taller than yours. is that so it doesn't get caught up on yourself when you're putting in a cartridge?

ripjack13 said:
i see the crossbreed's tan leather back piece is a little taller than yours. is that so it doesn't get caught up on yourself when you're putting in a cartridge?

See above. It's so the mag doesn't dig into your spare tire. :D

i was in the process of askin that when i posted you had already posted an answer.... :oops:

Glock 19 and I think I could possibly get a mag sent your way. I have a Galco IWB holder for the G19, but the thing I don't like about it is that the leather 'crushes' to easily and I have issues re-holstering it quickly. How does this material hold up? Not really familiar with Kydex.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Glock 19 and I think I could possibly get a mag sent your way. I have a Galco IWB holder for the G19, but the thing I don't like about it is that the leather 'crushes' to easily and I have issues re-holstering it quickly. How does this material hold up? Not really familiar with Kydex.

In case you hadn't noticed, this one has a Glock 19 magazine in it. ;)

I don't have any experience with the Galco IWB holsters but I know I had problems with the MTAC Minotaur holster's Kydex crushing. I have no such problems with my CrossBreed holsters. This Kydex is the same thickness at the CrossBreed Kydex.

Would you want yours "cut down" like the one I made today or "full cut" like the one in the CrossBreed picture? Also, would you want a single belt clip, like the CrossBreed pic, or a double clip, like the one I made today?

Cut down. I'm a slender guy and I usually wear a size or two bigger pants wise with a tight belt to accommodate my gun. The Gen4 mags have the mag release cut out on both sides due to the mag release being movable from left to right. Is that going to create issues?

Oh, and how hard would it be to make a double mag holder work for IWB use?

CrossBreed makes a double mag pouch so I'm sure it could be done. Personally, I'm not sure I would want that much leather and Kydex, but that's your call.

I used a Gen 4 magazine to make the pouch in my pics. No issues.

Mud, Seriously nice work!!!

Back