• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo Storage

Elbert Garrett

.30-06
Supporter
Exceptable temperature ranges and storage containers, metal box vs the hard plastic.

I`ve done some research but I want to hear real world exerpience on ammo storage. Thanks!

I have been keeping my ammo in my shop in Plano ammo boxes, it`s high and dry but there is only heat and air in use if I`m there and Oklahoma can be a little extreme at times.

100_8148.JPG

I know a few people who lost a considerable amount of ammunition in past hurricanes that used plastic boxes.

Even metal surplus boxes seals should be checked. If they are cracking they're toast regardless. If the rubber seal appears dry, apply a thin coat of Vaseline.

I store ammunition that is placed in vacuum seal bags with a triple seal, then placed in a metal surplus ammo box for long term storage.

And to be honest, 5 gallon pails with lids work well too as long as they are stored in a dry location.

This is an unlikely website for this information, but I'm sharing it with you nonetheless for the educational value.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06...riment-video-shows-you-which-doesnt-work.html

video of the link above:

I have ammo in factory paper boxes at my cabin tbat has been there for many years through temps ranging from 100+ (closed cabin, no shade) in the summer to well below 0 in the winter. It still shoots fine.

If i lived where I thought flooding would be an issue I would probably use water tight ammo boxes, esp for shotgun ammo.

You're probably right Mike. Shotgun hulls are more susceptible to water damage due to the crimp and the different materials that make up the shell how they're joined.

I tend to err on the safe side where it pertains to water though. I treat all my long term ammo storage like it's going to be stored in a submarine with a screen door.

I have read reports from the military that concluded that high temperature is more detrimental to large ammo caches than anything after so much time in the litter box in the middle east. I think the failure rate (dud/misfire) increased to 5 or 7% ??

I don't really recall the exact counts right now, but it was enough to know that I don't want to store my ammo in my attic for long term.

Cool dry places seem to be pretty universal storage recommendations for nearly everything. Appears ammunition was no exeption.

All my ammo is stored in GI Ammo Cans after the contents of the factory paper boxes are marked then dumped into plastic Zip lock bags and sealed...then the cans are stored in a cool dry spot in my basement...knee level and above...on a wooden rack I built. Has worked so far...

{ +1 on petroleum jelly lubrication of the seals on GI cans }

BTW...I don't think the Plastic "cans" have water resistant O ring seals like the GI Field Cans do.

From my understanding modern ammo is very resilient. Even submerged in water.

Heat tends to be the biggest factor in degrading the powder inside.

I have some ammo in surplus ammo cans. But most are still in shipping boxes that were delivered.

I live in a second story apartment and ammo kept in a locked closet which the apartment is regulated in temp.

I haven't had any issues.

I keep some ammo in my gun safe, and have three small Sentry containers (locked) that I keep the rest in.

Rubber.

What grade?

I have no idea.

Regarding shotgun shells,

The Olin (Winchester) Mil-Buck shells I've been buying are the only ones which are actually hermetically sealed.

Every other shell has a little hole at the crimp. Roll crimped shells are possibly better, but they have a little crack all the way around.

But those Mil-Buck shells are heat sealed after crimping and I believe they are completely waterproof.

Now the Box they come in wouldn't stand up to a good sneeze.

I keep my shotgun ammo in the metal 50 cal ammo cans with a couple of those silica packets to absorb moisture. Temperatures are not too extreme in the storage area, 45-85 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the season of the year.

Any idea what the seal on the GI cans is made of? I've heard that petroleum jelly can degrade O-rings over time.
Seems to be a high grade rubber of some sort. I have heard that Vaseline PJ can be harmful to the seals, but no proof of it. I use a product made for rubber seals called Nyogel, specifically made for rubber seals. I bought it years ago for my all my flashlights when I was a flashoholic. A little bit goes a long way. I use a Q-tip to apply it to the gaskets, let it sit a couple of minutes, then wipe off the excess. Renews the gaskets on those old weather worn GI ammo cans. Makes them look and feel new. https://www.amazon.com/NyoGel-Synthetic-Flashlight-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B00BOMKGPW

A cheaper alternative would be Super Lube. A clear synthetic lube. It is also safe for rubber gaskets. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-2...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MWABQG3EFFJ6CT5Y2GKS

Those gaskets crumble and fall off in the desert, or at least the old ones did.

I have old, old cans I won't use for ammo because the gakets are shot.

Just took a look at the video shared by John A. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Now I'm gonna have to take a look at mine. Most of mine are military either new or used, but I do have a few that are retail plastic such as the two shown in the vid. That's a job for another day so I can figure out how many more military cans I need.

Thanks for the share really appreciated.

Back