• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammunition Performance Reviews

Anyone have any information on WOLF brand Slugs or 00 Buck?
I know their rifle ammunition is average for factory ammunition but I cannot find too much on their shot shell stuff.

Hmm... Thanks Old Mossy! I am considering bulk purchased ammunition and WOLF or RIO is right in my price range. However, RIO has the same issue of being over sized when length is concerned... I was looking at "targetsportsusa" for bulk Federal but I have seen A LOT of horror stories recently concerning them and stuff not being in stock but saying it is online... :/ hmm

from what i read about wolf i did not like the idea of cardboard ends instead of crimping.

Meh for some SHTF stuff it would suffice lol. RIO has some really bad stuff along the lines of being so long that they don't eject... I have most recent;y read those reviews. Looks like I may risk it and go with Targetsportsusa and get some Remington or Federal.

What are you intending to use it for? Something to trust your life to? Does it need to meet any sort of criteria such as " every pellet in this much space." ?

If you answer yes to either of those, id be lookin for either flitecontrol or versatite.

Itsricmo said:
Meh for some SHTF stuff it would suffice lol. RIO has some really bad stuff along the lines of being so long that they don't eject... I have most recent;y read those reviews. Looks like I may risk it and go with Targetsportsusa and get some Remington or Federal.

i ordered from targertsportusa, had a order of over 200.00 and everything was great, took a little long as you might expect because of all that is going on right now, but their website is constantly updating what order day they are processing, and once it left their facillity, i got it the next day!
i have no complaints about them, if you dont mind the wait, but im sure you will expierence that anywhere you order from for now.....

Yesterday's results- 12" targets at 50 yds. First target-9 shots, Winchester, 2 3/4, 1 oz, 1600 fps. 2nd target, 8 shots, Remington slugger, 2 3/4, 1 oz, 1560 fps. Both targets aimed center bulls eye, no compensation. No observed change in wind, etc. 590A1, 20 " barrel, GRS, at the bench. I presume the difference in fps resulted in the grouping "drop", ya'll think? Practice, practice, practice!!!
232323232%7Ffp54395%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3644%3C%3A456534%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp54434%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3644%3C%3A456634%3Bnu0mrj

Awesome! Slugs are the best thing going for shotguns, IMHO ;) :lol:

This is an example, however, that each gun will shoot ammo differently. I wish I had a target to show but my 500 shoots high at 50yds... probably about 2" or 3". Maybe I will pick up some Rem sluggers next weekend, I have a few zombies that need taken care of! :D

Itsricmo said:
Awesome! Slugs are the best thing going for shotguns, IMHO ;) :lol:

This is an example, however, that each gun will shoot ammo differently. I wish I had a target to show but my 500 shoots high at 50yds... probably about 2" or 3". Maybe I will pick up some Rem sluggers next weekend, I have a few zombies that need taken care of! :D
but are you shooting through an adjustable grs or over a brass bead?

maybe his I'd just dubbed in at a 50yd range ;)

I think groupings are what matter most. Poi compared to poa should be adjusted anyways for every individual shooter and gun/sights setup.

does yours group similarly?

Minor Detail overlooked is the Ghost Ring Sights. I am shooting over a brass bead haha

My groupings are a little bigger but I shoot off-hand with support from a support column. Kind of like shooting around a corner :p If I shot full bench rest, I am sure my groups would tighten up.

maybe his I'd just dubbed in at a 50yd range

I am confused on your term "dubbed"

Thanks, guys! Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good, heh-heh. Haven't fired the slugs at a standing position yet. At the bench so I could get a steady sight picture to adjust the rear sight . Out of the box, wind-age was pretty close, just a small turn to the left. But elevation, had to raise rear ghost ring a good bit. Still a work in progress, especially with the stiff trigger pull. The addition of a Limb Saver recoil pad relieved a lot of the anticipation, for sure. I would recommend one for everyone. Plan on going this weekend to try different firing position. Definitely will find out how much "sway" I will have with the heavy 20" barrel and magazine. Oh, BTW, was at 50 yds, no BS allowed here!

Ross, did my informal review of Winchester's PDX1 in 12 gauge and posted it up. I see you already had someone post up on that particular load though. Promise, in the future more proper range/pattern reports next time around and hopefully with some loads no one else has posted up about. I look forward to contributing to this thread and giving the OP chances to update this great thread possibly.

Itsricmo said:
Minor Detail overlooked is the Ghost Ring Sights. I am shooting over a brass bead haha

My groupings are a little bigger but I shoot off-hand with support from a support column. Kind of like shooting around a corner :p If I shot full bench rest, I am sure my groups would tighten up.

maybe his I'd just dubbed in at a 50yd range

I am confused on your term "dubbed"
bahaha...

I use my mobile phone to surf more often then not and so I get auto-correct issues all the time... usually have to edit each post multiple times... this one I obviously forgot to proof read.

"maybe his is sighted" is what I intended to write... sorry for the confusion

Just a note to say I have bought from targertsportusa a couple of times and had no problem - this was late last year and they did fine on ship and price. Since I only use my 500 for HD, I use Fed 127 00.
I haven't shot many slugs, but I'm impressed with the 50 yd results and need to try that for sure.

I know there is a great deal of easily accesible information on test patterns of the many different shot sizes at varied distances but I am having a difficult time finding serious penetration stats on the two primary buckshot rounds available, oo and #4. There are a few gel penetration tests for oo buck but I'm interested right now in #4 buckshot. Right now I'm running a 930 SPX with an 18.5 inch barrel and I've tested for patterning with different bird/target and oo buckshot at 15 and 25 yards so what I'd like to find is some reliable information on penetration test results for #4 buck (honestly from what I've read and seen penetration of oo buck is not an issue, unless of course you're talking about over penetration). Does anyone know of links or has anyone any experience testing seriously the penetration of #4 buckshot at 15-30 yards? The more specific the better. Thanks guys.

Back