• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Annoying news... and some good news

Glad it went well WM. Take it easy and don't try to rush the recovery. Hard to resist when you feel good but I've seen it too many times and it will hurt you in the long run.

OK FULL UPDATE:

Been 21 days since the surgery. Total surgery took about an hour. According to the doctor the procedure was text book in which he removed damaged tendon from my bone and re-attached the remaining tendon.

Swelling was an issue the first 10 days. I could be up and about for about an hour and then my hand would swell up pretty good so I had to lay down and keep my arm elevated with pillows. So I spent the Christmas and New Years vacation pretty much in and out of bed.

Day 10 I was able to see improvement in my movement of my arm and was able to start staying up more often without the swelling becoming an issue. Having the arm bandage on for 15 days was super annoying but the holidays kept me sort of pre-occupied.

Day 15 the stitches came out and I was able to work out the stiffness in my arm by extending my arm fully (which wasn't possible with the bandage on).

Day 20 I returned to work and I am keeping a light bandage on it more so for cushion due to it still being a bit tender when rested on a desk.

Day 22 (tomorrow) I'll be starting my first PT session. I know the guy very well (my shooting instructor's father in law) and he helped rehab my back during 2017-2018. So he will take good care of me.

Here's some pics of the timeline:

Day 2 after surgery:

46677728641_ac6ac5ca0f_z.jpg

Day 15 - Stitches out
46677728971_56c5902101_z.jpg

Day 18 - after giving it a good washing and letting it soak in neosporin for a few days

31736020017_8d74f9272c_z.jpg

Day 19 - one day before going back to work - enjoyed some nice Kentucky Bourbon Whisky (Four Roses Single Barrel)

31736019187_76dc0fb909_z.jpg

Funny story - since I'm going to be down for a little bit I figured I'd start a bourbon bar. Finished Woodford Reserve but moved on to Four Roses Single Barrel which is much smoother. I actually think I like it more than Macallan 12 Scotch.

Well that's my story... well almost. My wife and I switched churches a little bit before my surgery. Long story but if you want to know a small reason why: http://www.liherald.com/stories/dio...tinues-paying-clergy-sex-abuse-victims,106013

Word got around that I'm a martial arts instructor so I'm in the midst of completing a women's self defense program for the church. I'm going to pitch a 6 week program once I'm all healed up for free. I completed the outline so now I just need to sit down with the Pastor and his wife to figure out timing, space and equipment availability. It will be a well rounded program - class room instruction in pre-attack indicators, general strategies on how to avoid the predator selection process, hands on unarmed responses as well as the use of legal self defense implements in NY and legal ramifications.

It looks like ya can't keep a good monkey down. ;)

Thanks for the update. Seeing as how it's hard to reload single-handed, please go easy on the quick-change maneuvers.

I approached the pastor regarding the women's self defense seminar. I created a 6 week syllabus including a PowerPoint presentation on pre-attack indicators and I'm cutting some cctv footage of attacks on film.

Just waiting on a sit down if they are interested.

I go back to instructing feb 1 on a limited basis at the dojo.

Update - after 7 months and out of PT my elbow still isn’t 100% BUT better than before the surgery. Been trying to cut down my weight- lost 15 pounds in 2 months running and watching my diet. Another 15 pounds to go and I’ll be back to my normal training weight.

I’m hitting the bags again. Did some sparring 3 weeks ago but I banged my elbow in a clash. My elbow is fine but I’m ordering a sleeve with some padding in it to protect it.

Handgun shooting is still kinda tough. I made a PCC in 9mm from some AR parts lying around. The KAK adapter is tits. So far it’s been running like a champ with 3 failures to feed with mixed ammo (factory and a buddy’s reloads) in about 500-600 rounds. Straight factory seems to feed like a boss. Have the JP bolt and JP 9mm silent capture spring. Damn thing is a fast accurate shooter.

I can shoot extended sessions with it with minimum elbow issues. Took a buddy with me for the first time and it made him look like a boss:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_Qv6Xh8M4/?igshid=4e5q1dnpaeda

I’m scheduled to to get the other arm done most likely in December again. Sucks but I’m at 5 shots again with no relief long term.

At this point I’m going to liquidate most of my handgun collection. I don’t believe I’ll be shooting handgun for a few years like I was before. I’ll be focusing on PCC competition, AR range practice/day training and Skeet shooting since the pressure on my elbows isn’t as significant.

If you’re interested in a Wilson Combat 1911 in 9mm or a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45 acp hit me up.

My new church has been disappointing in the self defense program I’ve been offering (FOR FREE). I’ve spent hours making a 1 hr presentation on predatory behavior and hours cutting video on street violence not to mention a few days constructing a 6 week women’s self defense course. In 6 months I’ve only met with the pastor once for discussion, a meeting was supposed to be created by him for me to present to the team leaders which didn’t happen regardless of my several emails and course materials being sent to him for review. I was passed off to the security lead who wants me on the team. I transferred all my correspondence to him on Monday but still no email response on the proposal or confirm he got the email. My final proposal is to train the security team on close contact aggression with a heavy emphasis on the clinch range with locks and throws. If I don’t get any feedback by the end of next week I’m going to officially remove my offer to the church. Shame cause they engaged me first for a program. I’m literally wasting my time at this point.

Water Monkey

(Two words, One awesome)

Too bad the self defense class hasn't worked out the way you had hoped. Everyone could use that type of training these days. Too many instances of people, usually solo women getting attacked at places like a mall parking lot. A little training could go a long way in those instances. Makes one become a victor instead of a victim. Just the self confidence one exudes could be a deterrent in most circumstances.

Too bad the self defense class hasn't worked out the way you had hoped. Everyone could use that type of training these days. Too many instances of people, usually solo women getting attacked at places like a mall parking lot. A little training could go a long way in those instances. Makes one become a victor instead of a victim. Just the self confidence one exudes could be a deterrent in most circumstances.

Security head and the team is interested in a 5 week course. Some are really pumped about it. The pastor never really relayed the info to others but it may come together August 10th. I sent out the syllabus, equipment list, and the dojo owner just wants a small mat fee of $10 per person per session.

The communication with the members is basically a black void. I send emails and no acknowledgment that it was received via an email back. Weird. They are getting my emails. I made sure of it last week when I was talking to them.

I’ll find out Sunday if it’s all a go I suppose.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. That won't help much, but I will anyways. I personally think it is a worthwhile endeavor, for more reasons than just the self defense part of it.

Happy to hear your recovery is progressing nicely. Sorry to hear your handguns are going away. Keep at least one or two to help fight your way to the rifles/shotguns. Then bury the rest... ;)

The local Sheriff's office here offers "free" classes all the time. I had my daughter go to the Teen Driver Challenge earlier this year. She was the only student with two instructors (deputies)... But they were happy to run the class with only her in it--they still get paid either way. The class is grant-funded. LINK That is her BACKING through the cones. There was also a Crown Vic with hard plastic rear tires they had her "drift" (or attempt to) around a figure 8 with. That was amusing although the deputies would not let me try... :(

One of the local PDs offers a course for women. I'm trying to get my 18yo daughter to attend.

We ARE going to attend "Active Shooter" training later this month. Should be interesting... :)

Attachments

• conage.jpg
    conage.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 3
  • safe.JPG
    safe.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 3
  • activeshooter.JPG
    activeshooter.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3
Back