• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another blast from the past...

You cleaned off all that wonderful patina! :eek: ;) Heck, now you gotta just spray bomb it with a can of gold paint! :D

PS: IF you find the left side plate and/or some screws with washers to hold the lockwork on, clean the fire hole/nipple to see if it goes into the chamber. Might need a tiny drill bit then work your way up until the hole is clear. Then get a BP cap, dump a little bit of smokeless (or BP if you have it) down the barrel followed by a wad of some sort, point in safe direction (outside), pull the trigger and see if it coughs! :)

DO NOT use smokeless powder in a blackpowder gun...EVER.

No problem Hombre.

This one will never fire again. She's destined to be just a wall hanger.

BTW, I just saw this exact gun brand new in the display cabinet at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday.

But it did not say CVA on the barrel. It was a different brand and now I'm wondering if they bought up Connecticut Valley Arms?

BTW, I just saw this exact gun brand new in the display cabinet at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday.

But it did not say CVA on the barrel. It was a different brand and now I'm wondering if they bought up Connecticut Valley Arms?

You probably saw a Traditions. CVA used a Spanish manufacturer and when they stopped making sidelocks and kits, Traditions took up the slack and is using the same manufacturer. I am sure there are others but Traditions is the main one nowadays. I was looking for another CVA Kentucky Rifle kit a couple years ago and found out that the parts for the traditions are identical to the CVA. That Kentuck I posted some time back was the second one I have built. It is a .45. I may build a .50 next but I have a Wolf from CVA that handles recoil well...better than the brass buttplate of the KY.

Thank you, I looked on their website and yes it was a traditions. They had three models and one looked exactly like mine.

Only brand new!
Mine is a crusty hulk.:oops:

By the way I never realized these were so inexpensive! I wouldn't have held on to this piece of chit all these years.
:rolleyes:

Thank you I looked on their website and yes it was a traditions. They had three models and one looked exactly like mine.

Only brand new!
Mine is a crusty hulk.:oops:

You won't be able to restore the bore, but you may be able to scrub out some of the gunk, or even drill out enough of the rust to make it look like a clean smoothbore. A file and some emery cloth on the surface of the barrel may clean it up nice. Maybe if you soak it in Naval Jelly it will dissolve all that gunk and save a lot of hand work. The lockwork may benefit a from a soak in Naval Jelly too but they will never work smoothly.

By the way I never realized these were so inexpensive! I wouldn't have held on to this piece of chit all these years.
:rolleyes:

You should build a rifle or pistol. Blackpowder is a hoot. If you decide to look for some blackpowder guns or kits, let me know and I can send you some links of places where I get stuff. If you want to see what is available from a real blackpowder dealer look at Dixie Gun Works. (Not sure of their link URL. ) Just do a search. They are the only Dixiegun out there. They are expensive nut they have the very best just short of going to a custom maker.

Wow that's crazy. I'd likely never attempt to shoot it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back