• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another holster project

diyguy

.270 WIN
My uncle-in-law won a 9mm handgun in a volunteer fireman’s raffle/fundraiser. Not a great gun but it only cost him 5 bucks. It didn’t come with a holster. He wants to wear it while bowhunting and asked if I would make him one. I was more than happy to do it.
kermit1_zpsa9e186eb.jpg

I make holsters and knife sheathes from 6 to 8 Oz tooling leather so I always have a good supply on hand.
kermit2_zps92f2574d.jpg

It’s a small handgun so scraps will work.
kermit3_zpse718118e.jpg

I make all my patterns from “crapalloy” which can be found in empty cereal boxes of 24 packs of soda. It creates the rough concept or outline.
kermit4_zps85bbdff4.jpg

Then the face is wet, allowed to normalize and is then wet fitted to the contour of the handgun with antlers and bones and wooden shaping tools.
kermit5_zpscc3a9612.jpg

kermit6_zps8d117da6.jpg

kermit7_zps9b0e09a7.jpg

It spent Sunday afternoon in the sun to dry and forever lock in that shape.
kermit8_zps3ad83e56.jpg

kermit9_zps06879d86.jpg

kermit91_zps742939f2.jpg

A backing piece is made of the same leather and contact cement holds the pieces from shifting during sewing and riveting and belt loop cutting.
kermit92_zpsc2c41f3d.jpg

Tubular rivets are used in high stress areas.
kermit93_zps2c026b2e.jpg

Then stitching holes and belt loops are made.
kermit94_zps46848c4b.jpg

After hand stitching the excess is trimmed.
kermit95_zps463ffad0.jpg

I need to make a thumb snap feature.
kermit96_zps4095ab3c.jpg

kermit97_zps3a648fdf.jpg

kermit98_zps414593ae.jpg

So far so good.
kermit99_zps013ce1c7.jpg

He wants it black and it don’t get any blacker than USMC black.
kermit991_zps1e922131.jpg

Before sewing it together, would it not make it easier to waterproof the insides ?

That looks so professional it's awesome!
Great job sir!

Based on this thread alone I'm reasonably confident in sending my freshly cerakoted Gladiator sword off to this fella. It seems like I'll be getting it back wrapped in a top notch sheath for a very reasonable price.

I would do a pictorial build along here so you could see all the steps that go into the production of your sheath. If thats somethingyou would be interested in?

Very nice!! I've made some knife sheaths but was not adventurous enough to tackle a holster.

I would do a pictorial build along here so you could see all the steps that go into the production of your sheath. If thats somethingyou would be interested in?
Absolutely not! ............ :D

Just kidding of course I wouldn't mind. I think everyone one here would appreciate it as well. Shot a PM off to you this morning. Lets do it.

Just discovered this thanks to LES posting the link, very nice work!!!

This is really nicely done. You are a very skilled leather worker. It is amazing how those 'scraps' are transformed into the finished product.

Back