• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anti-gunner turned pro-gunner

MikeT

.270 WIN
I had the opportunity to take my wife and one of her co-workers to the range a couple of weekends back.

This was a young lady that spoke highly of banning guns even though she had never held one, never shot one, never wanted to learn about one. My wife invited her over as the young lady moved to our area for her job and was missing friends and family.

She arrived quite early so she could help with the dinner prep. I took the opportunity to introduce her to several of my friends and this led to a range invite. At the range, she was nervous (To be expected). I started he out on my wife's Ruger Mark III 22/45. She really enjoyed knocking down 8" steel plates at 20 yards with it. My buddies were doing the same but with 38 super, 40S&W, and 45ACP. She decided to give a centerfire a try. I loaned her my STI Trojan 1911 in 40S&W. She rocked the plates really well (Not just for a beginner either). This evolved into shooting on the shotgun range. I loaned her my 930 12 gauge, and she did pretty well with as well. She asked if anyone had an assault gun so she could try some full auto. We explained that full auto was not allowed on out range, but we had AR-15's she could use. She seemed excited at the idea so I let her try my M&P15. She came away with a huge grin. She then asked who had the baddest gun at the range. I rolled out the Marlin 1895 in 45/70. She ooed and awed over the nice grain and how pretty it was. I explained that this was my one and only closet queen. I let her have aa go with a standard 45/70 load (Cowboy Action load actually). She had to take a half step due to recoil. She then stated that it kicked less than the 12 gauge! So, I offered her a chance to shoot one round of Buffalo Bore 350grain at 2160fps. I explained it had a bit more energy than the 12 gauge. She asked me to shoot it first, so I did. She decided to give it go! She took a step and a half back on recoil, but looked at me and asked to give it another go!. I gave her a couple of suggestions to control recoil and off she went. No steps, huge smile!

We went home for dinner, she could not stop talking about how much fun she had.

She now owns a Glock 19 and is getting her concealed carry permit.

She is also part of the regular crew when we go to the range to run and gun.

From gun hater to gun owner (And without being a victim first)!!!

Quite honestly, that scenario of being an anti with absolutely no experience or real information is something I've run into many, many times.

It's really hard for them to explain their position but they are just dead set against firearms. I've had countless conversations like that...very frustrating.

Glad you were able to show her the other side!! I think that's often what it takes; a really good, positive experience with firearms to chase the "demons" away. They see real, normal, functioning and productive people enjoying firearms and realize they've been on the wrong track.

Right on man!!

Another successful mission! :) Good job, Mike!

I've converted a few, myself and won many debates with those who would not take the opportunity to convert. Many converts are amazed at the level of professionalism and safety that goes on at the range--it is not just a bunch of yahoos shooting up the place!

Awesome job! If more people had an opinion based on their actual experience & knowledge this world would be a better place. It's like people who say they hate sushi for instance but have never tried it, meanwhile it may turn out o be tbeir favorite food [emoji19]

Sounds much like what my wife was like when I met her... Everything was going great when we started dating. When she found out what level of a gun nut I was and actually kept loaded guns in my house, on my person, and in my truck it was almost a deal breaker. Fast forward several years into the future from that point. She's a huge outspoken supporter of The 2A, owns an AR, a couple of pistols, a 20 ga and has a CHL.

Awesome job! If more people had an opinion based on their actual experience & knowledge this world would be a better place. It's like people who say they hate sushi for instance but have never tried it, meanwhile it may turn out o be tbeir favorite food [emoji19]
I've tried sushi...me no like...jus sayin:rolleyes:

Good job, sounds like she was more on the fence than a hard core anti, as she didn't seem to take much coercing to get on the range. I've done this a few times with people. Some refuse to even give it a try, some will give it a go if you sell it as though you are not trying to change their minds, just wanting them to have an educated view of what they are against. ;-D Even if they don't change their minds at least they have a real world understanding of how the guns work rather than the Hollywood/media version of reality.

I've tried sushi...me no like...jus sayin:rolleyes:

I fully support you in this, just leaves more for me!!!

Good job, sounds like she was more on the fence than a hard core anti, as she didn't seem to take much coercing to get on the range. I've done this a few times with people. Some refuse to even give it a try, some will give it a go if you sell it as though you are not trying to change their minds, just wanting them to have an educated view of what they are against. ;-D Even if they don't change their minds at least they have a real world understanding of how the guns work rather than the Hollywood/media version of reality.

I fully support you in this, just leaves more for me!!!

Oh there was no fence to sit on for her. She was most definitely and anti. Had it not been for my wife's encouragement, this would have never happened. All credit goes to my honey who grew up in Quebec and hated guns herself. Until she said, I can do that while I was shooting plates. The fore-mentioned Ruger Mark III 22/45 is her favorite pistol for plates now! I found out yesterday, after posting, the young lady now owns a 20 gauge shotgun for home defense! She is really rocking the "gun thing"!

When I started shooting with my USPSA, IPSC and IDPA friends, they were kind enough to put together a "adopt a shooter" kit for me. I got a number of spare magazines for my 1911 (If I could get them to work and I did), a pistol bag, a 40cal boresnake, cleaning implements, and some ammo. I was touched by the generosity so I decided to the same for others. I did this for my wife, and am in the process of getting the stuff together for this new lady shooter. Loads of fun (Pun intended).

She asked if anyone had an assault gun so she could try some full auto.

Sounds like she is confused about machineguns. Just because the evening news and some elected officials call guns machineguns doesn't make it true.

In all honesty, there are not that many civilian legal machineguns in circulation (and thus the astronomical asking price).

Furthermore, I think there has only been 2 incidents since 1934 that involved legal full auto machineguns. And one of those was a police officer that killed his wife with his issued weapon because she was supposedly cheating on him.

Give her this link. It does really well about explaining about the legalities and owning one.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/21/machine-guns-legal-practical-guide-full-auto/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/12/machinegun-ban-will-not-go-away/

I love these stories.

My wife is a teacher and never knew much of, nor cared about guns--Always horrified about the school shootings on the news and a blind-faith democrat.

The first time I took her shooting, she had to go again, and she also had to have her own target rifle. :)

She even paid for it. :D:D
Now shes had several range days and pistol range sessions, and she shoots .22s Ok for a 60 old lady.

Now I'm working on getting her to want a pistol too, but she's adopted my Ruger Mk3 at the range and it's too big for a carry piece.

She's talking about a bigger caliber too. :cool:

I had the opportunity to take my wife and one of her co-workers to the range a couple of weekends back.

This was a young lady that spoke highly of banning guns even though she had never held one, never shot one, never wanted to learn about one. My wife invited her over as the young lady moved to our area for her job and was missing friends and family.

She arrived quite early so she could help with the dinner prep. I took the opportunity to introduce her to several of my friends and this led to a range invite. At the range, she was nervous (To be expected). I started he out on my wife's Ruger Mark III 22/45. She really enjoyed knocking down 8" steel plates at 20 yards with it. My buddies were doing the same but with 38 super, 40S&W, and 45ACP. She decided to give a centerfire a try. I loaned her my STI Trojan 1911 in 40S&W. She rocked the plates really well (Not just for a beginner either). This evolved into shooting on the shotgun range. I loaned her my 930 12 gauge, and she did pretty well with as well. She asked if anyone had an assault gun so she could try some full auto. We explained that full auto was not allowed on out range, but we had AR-15's she could use. She seemed excited at the idea so I let her try my M&P15. She came away with a huge grin. She then asked who had the baddest gun at the range. I rolled out the Marlin 1895 in 45/70. She ooed and awed over the nice grain and how pretty it was. I explained that this was my one and only closet queen. I let her have aa go with a standard 45/70 load (Cowboy Action load actually). She had to take a half step due to recoil. She then stated that it kicked less than the 12 gauge! So, I offered her a chance to shoot one round of Buffalo Bore 350grain at 2160fps. I explained it had a bit more energy than the 12 gauge. She asked me to shoot it first, so I did. She decided to give it go! She took a step and a half back on recoil, but looked at me and asked to give it another go!. I gave her a couple of suggestions to control recoil and off she went. No steps, huge smile!

We went home for dinner, she could not stop talking about how much fun she had.

She now owns a Glock 19 and is getting her concealed carry permit.

She is also part of the regular crew when we go to the range to run and gun.

Now the young lady owns a Ruger 556 AR and a Beretta 1301 12 gauge and is a demon child at the range (She is now saving for an STI 2011 for 3 gun) !

You won the internet today Mike.

Great job !!

". . . never held one, never shot one, never wanted to learn about one . . . "

Its very sad, but most of our population is trained to be like that.

One at at time, you can change this.

Thank you Mike T. :cool:

It's the way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time. We have to teach folks the other side of firearms. Great post with a happy ending.

Yessir.

My wife, my two daughters, my granddaughters, my niece, my sons in law, and my sister were all totally uninterested in shooting, until I took the time to take each one of them out to the range and introduce them to the whole business.

Now my wife owns a Ruger and a Savage, my sister has bought an AK47. My daughters are both looking for 9 millimeter pistols, one son in law has confessed that he was a shooter years ago (as was his father) and the other one has confessed that he owns inherited guns that he doesn't know how to shoot and has never fired.

My niece has married a gunsmith lol.

All of the granddaughters whom I have taken are begging me to go shoot again. The 6 year olds are unhappy that they're not allowed to go yet.

They say charity begins at home. Well I guess so does education, & this is how it works for me folks.

Back