• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Any pix of a 500 with a black forearm but wood stock?

I have been thinking over what my second Mossberg shotgun will be and there are many choices. For example I have found a pistol grip cruiser in blue, not parkerize, it has the black synthetic forearm/fore end. I've been thinking about buy it and keeping it with the pistol grip BUT also buying a wood stock for it so I can interchange them as desired. I have scoured the internet for photos of this combination, a blued 500 cruiser with the black forearm and a wood full stock, but no luck.

Does anybody have a gun with this mix matched set up, a blued 5+1 cruiser with black forearm and wood stock? Or even if you have a photo found on the internet? I would appreciate seeing a photo of how this looks.

Other ideas I have had were keeping the blued cruiser with the pistol grip but adding a wood forearm. I found a youtube video with this combination and it looks good.

I cannot decide if I like the parkerized versions of the above ideas or the blued more.

I have many ideas of what I want to do, or even buying an old blued 500 with wood front and back and just adding the heat shield. There are one or two members who have posted photos of their guns in exactly that configuration and they are beautiful!

I'm also consider another 590A1 or just the plain 590 but I'll save that for the 590 section of this board. Thanks all!

I'm going with the wood set on my 88 shortly (Still need to buy the action slide) but I got the heat shield on mine can't wait to post pics when its done!

Blacksmith, MY SINCERE THANKS!! That gun looks GOOD!!!!!!!!!

I like that look!! I had a hunch it would be a nice contrast, and it is, very nice! Thank you

Thanks Fastang, the other way is also an option, if I keep the gun with only a pistol grip, I like the look of a wood forearm. There was a link for this on youtube but it has since been removed. I really like the look of a blued pistol grip shotgun with a wood forearm. I also, as demonstrated, like the reverse, a wood stock with a black synthetic forearm...

gun.jpg owner.jpg

Just put a hogue forend on mine I think it looks pretty slick with the dual comb stock

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from NY. Good lookin' Mossy. Thanks for the pics.:)

You don't need to mismatch them... just strip and refinish the stock in Ebony (common stain color) and you won't be that far off. More coats you go, the darker it will be. I like wood and have installed a lot of wood furniture over the years on black shotty's.

590A1wood0001_zps57d524dd.jpg

This is a 500 with wood furniture, stained ebony (from the web):

ehu6y9e5.jpg

9e5y3a2e.jpg

Last edited:
Fooling around with my 14" 590A1 (no, not a 500 but takes the same furniture).

Spare wood stock has a longer & thicker pistol grip section on my 14" 590A1 and shaves off a good inch of LOP. Might strip it and paint/stain it black. I have other stocks coming to try but I'm impressed with the feel of the old wood stock. Of course, options are limited to the short action bar forend unless I can find a short wood set made for the 6.5-6.75" action bars...

Below is my 18.5" Road Blocker with stock brake and Hogue overmolded forend/PG.

14and185mossy0001_zps7a34ae78.jpg

Call NUMRICH (866.686.7424) they have one for a Mossberg 835 short tube. Same forend.

my HD Mossberg...it has the Hogue(black) forend and for a buttstock i wanted a specific LOP(13"). I took a wood buttstock,cut it down and fitted recoil pad to LOP i wanted, sanded it a little,primed and painted it flat black. It's hard to cut down a syn stock like you can a wood stock, and bottom line is if i run outta ammo wood makes a better club......Mikemossy 1.jpg

not a Mossberg but i'm real fond of wood stocked pumps.....check this one out. I have a grand total of 65 bucks in this shotty......can you say Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight 12 gam37.jpg

Back