• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

anybody know what length these for ends are?

I'll take a guess here.. Maybe hit in between the ribs with a rougher sand paper then take a q tip and get in between the ribs wet and then stain lol?

hit in between the ribs with a rougher sand paper?

Pretty much. The wood is sealed so nothing will penetrate, not water and not stain. This gives us a great opportunity to selectively stain the forend.

Sand down in the ribs with fairly rough sandpaper. Then water pop. Then stain and let soak. This will give us a deep dark stain down in the ribs, but nowhere else since the rest is still sealed.

After the stain has cured go ahead and sand the rest of the forend. Stain everything. This gives us a deep double stain in the ribs and a standard stain elsewhere.

Thanks a ton that is going to look awesome! how much water do you apply to water pop in the ribs. I feel like you can over soak the wood but then again i have no clue about any of this haha.

and I'm definitely going to post pictures my wife found me an old bayonet at the gun shop she works at for 4 bucks cant beat that. its an m7 bayonet in an m8 sheath. good thing I'm in the army so surplus stores are everywhere here so finding a bayonet or an old od green sling is easy.

so do you think this guy water popped the ends of the forend ? I like how this one looks too.

Attachments

• forend .jpg
    forend .jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 14
Each piece of wood is different so you will have to find what works for you. You may be able to get the desired finish w/out popping.

The goal for water-popping is to open up the grain. This doesn't take much water or much time. No need to soak; just a wipe down with a wet towel (or Q-tip). Wait a few minutes and the wood will open up. There is no mistaking it; the wood goes from a natural smooth feel to quite rough.

Good catch on the bayonet. Be mindful that some bayonets fit the 590s very well; others a little too long. But they all work!

could the darkening just be from use and oils from hands. Kind of how wood railing on stairs turns blackish over time.

and just found a heat shield for a 590A1 paid a little more than what i liked but there hard to find so i wasn't bummed. Im definitely going trench gun with this one.

but they're hard to find

Yep, we were only able to get a couple of those and you got the last one. I packaged it up to ship out today -but- was at hospital all day with one of our men. I'll be sure to get it out tomorrow.

Installation is pretty simple. It is easiest with the barrel off and bead off. Be sure to not scratch the bayonet lug when you slide it on. The hardware on those heavy heatshields is the same as the others; you will have to squeeze the 'ears' of the heatshield to get the nut + bolt on due to the larger diameter shield. I have to hand cut the polymer bushing on them to fit the bayonet lug since they are full-length when we get them. The bushing will either be perfect or slightly long- file to fit as needed.

I'll put a safety bolt in there for you as well since I didn't get it out today...

and here is the furniture it does not have the urathane on it. I just completed this a few minuets ago. It came out a little crazy but i think it look kinda cool.

Attachments

• finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 12
Great vintage look. Now you understand why we say the wood stains the way it wants to!
I definetly understand it did its own thing but I'm happy with the results I'm sure once it dries and i get the urethane on it will look good. I got the semi gloss like you stated.

Last edited:
i put on the urethane about 2 hours ago and i went to look at it and the grains look hairy in spots like its been water popped. when it dries would these go down or do i sand it smooth?

Back