• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone have experience with 500 Talo Home Defense model or new 590 SP with 6 shot magazine tube?

DTL

I'm looking at adding a 500 to my stable. Namely a 500 Talo Home Defense model # 51236. This model is a standard 500 Purseuder with a matte blue finish. Wondering if anyone has one and if they can chime in. I'm also comparing this model to the new SP 590 # 50778 which is a 590 with the six shot magazine tube. I'm wondering if the 500 would still be lighter than the 590 even though the 590 does NOT have the heavy walled barrel like the a1 version. I already have an a1 and I'm looking for a bit lighter HD gun.

I have one of the talo 500 home defense models. Its been hanging on my bedroom wall for about 3 years now. The finish i believe is a little different and something talo uses. I remember mossberg didn't have a matte black home defense model with a black bolt at the time and thats why I went with the talo, plus some have a 13" lop stock. Mine cost no more than any regular 500 so the choice was simple. the 500 will be a little lighter than the 590, I find the 20 inch barrels a little less unwieldy but its still perfectly capable of being a great home defense gun.

Kurtis, thanks for the input. How has the matte blue finish been holding up? I've read at least one review that says it scratches up pretty easily. Also (if you have the shorter length stock) is the LOP a true 13 inches measured from the butt of the stock to the trigger or more like 12.75 or 12.5? Thanks

Kurtis, thanks for the input. How has the matte blue finish been holding up? I've read at least one review that says it scratches up pretty easily. Also (if you have the shorter length stock) is the LOP a true 13 inches measured from the butt of the stock to the trigger or more like 12.75 or 12.5? Thanks
It hasn't worn anymore than any of my other mossbergs. I have the talo version with the standard stock but everything else is the same as the talo with the 13.5 stock

I'll try and find the model number, be carefully because not all have the 13.5 stock

Back