• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone here use a 590A1 in the sandbox? Shotgun questions...

What do you think I should do with my 590A1's?

• 1. Send back Example B. Mossberg will make it right.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2. Sell Example B. Don't waste any more time/money on it.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 3. Sell both. QC at Mossberg is poor, CS is poor, just get back what money you can.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 4. Other (please describe)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Delacroix

Copper BB
Short review: picked up one, then went back and got another, Mossberg 590A1 USSM. Both are NIB, unfired.

Example A is pretty nice, no gripes, but something that looked like rust appeared at muzzle inside of barrel, and also a spot on receiver left side. Now, it *could* be that this was just preservative that dried and caked-up there. But it's the same color as rust. Wiped off with CLP.

Example B is a disappointment. Same orange, rusty-looking goop on LH side of receiver are exposed screw on that side. Can't get all of it off with a nylon toothbrush and CLP.

Another thing: this is a USSM but it has an incorrect, commercial buttpad on it. WTF? It also has scratches in the finish on the bottom of the receiver, as if it was roughly handled or dragged around after assembly. Now I don't mind scratches... if I am the one who put them there, or I paid a discounted price. But on a NIB piece for which I paid full retail? Honestly, it's like this gun was put together by someone who was in a hurry.

I am kinda' pissed off at myself for not doing better homework on these. I have since found a lot and I mean LOT of complaints about lack of QC running rampant at Mossberg, as well as poor customer service making things right. Then, there's this:

http://forums.officer.com/t168225/

Please note near the bottom where one guy says they had LOTS of issues with these in the sandbox. Almost all of the other accounts I've read gave them high marks... almost.

Anyone here stake ever have to stake their life on a 590A1 before?

I am concerned what will happen to an aluminum receiver over time and with heavy use. This already show galling inside on the top of the receiver just from their test-firing/racking.

I have read other reports about FTF, FTE, weak springs, lots of stuff with these. I am not happy, again, mainly with self for not asking more questions before buying.

I didn't want a Remington because of their political stand in NY re: the 2A but to be totally fair-minded, I hear both they and - gasp - Benelli, too, have a number of QC issues/gripes these days, as well.

Not sure what to do, so I thought I'd solicit your input. Do I...

1. Keep both, sending Example B to Mossberg to get things right...

2. Sell Example B, rather than spend any more time or money on it...

3. Sell both and chalk it up to lessons learned about performing DD, first?

Thanks for your input...

Re: Anyone here use a 590A1 in the sandbox? Shotgun question

Cut your losses, sell/trade them and buy something else from another brand because it is apparent that you're not happy with these guns, and probably will always look back on this as negative experiences.

If you are not happy with them, why keep them?

No, I am not being sarcastic.

I'm with John on this one...

I had to fix my cartridge stop in order to get my 590A1 working when I first got it, and to many people it's one of those black and white things that would have left them doubting the gun, but to me it wasn't a big deal having to correct the issues myself.

I look at firearms as machines... machines that were made by human beings. With that comes an inherent possibility that something may go wrong. I know that doesn't excuse QC issues and we're all aware of Mossberg's shortcomings.

I trust my life with the 590... but if you have your doubts I would go with another gun... one that functions reliably for YOU and that YOU trust.

Since the firearmeggedon I've noticed Mossberg's QC issues extrapolate.

If you are not happy force mossberg to make you happy. Or sell them.

As for the sandbox… my range is a sandbox. No issues, after I fixed the cartridge stopper issue.

I also trust my life and my family's life on my Mossberg. Any mechanical thing made MIGHT need some kind of fine tuning. I agree their QC needs a BIG shake up.

I also believe when it comes to any type CS, you get a lot more with honey than vinegar.
Two sides to every story.

As a side note, the first one is S/N 00097 and it looks pretty good. The second one that looks slapped together in a rush is numbered 00715.

Bad batch, maybe?

Also agreed on using honey...

Delacroix said:
As a side note, the first one is S/N 00097 and it looks pretty good. The second one that looks slapped together in a rush is numbered 00715.

Bad batch, maybe?

Also agreed on using honey...

It's hard to tell Delacroix if it's sloppy assembly or some out of speck parts being put together. Whichever,,,,it is poor QC.

I know one thing,I would contact Mossberg till it was taken care of. I'm sure they will resolve it.

I've got ussm004xx and my forend was molded by a blind kindergartner .... went with a Magpul moe forend.... now I'm happy ...... over 500 3"magnums through her plus all the other crap..... always the same point and BOOM! gotta love it!

Called Mossberg CS today and explained the issues - asked what, if anything, my options might be. I was careful to use honey, as directed above.

The lady with whom I spoke was very belligerent and so I was about to give up, but then she backed off and said to email pictures.

I'll do what she said and send them tomorrow, but this development was not encouraging...

I want a USS model. I'll buy it if you don't like it, jee whiz.

Mossbergs quality control goes up and down, and right now its down. No big surprise; 2013 was the busiest year ever.

But please remember that the QC issues are almost totally nicks, scratches, etc. The shotguns are still the rock-solid performers they've always been. These things have been proven in the dove field, battlefield and everywhere in between. I don't understand why folks say Mossberg Shotguns jam, fail, etc since they plainly do not.

Delacroix I think you have read too much into this, no doubt fueled by the recent "rusty barrel" post by another member. Shotgun 'A' doesn't sound like it has any problems. I don't fully understand Gun 'B' but you may only be seeing the threadlocker on the ejector screw.

Don't sweat the Al receiver. Aluminum and even Polymer have proven themselves many times over. The wear you see inside is mostly worn finish with some deformation; there is no galling as the material does not transfer.

I'm sorry your CS rep was unpleasant but please remember the is the exception not the rule. If you need anything let us know; there is a wealth of info available!

It's disappointing to read that so many Mossberg owners are having issues with their brand new shotguns because I really like Mossberg and chose it over a Remington 870 Police but I too ended up with a 590A1 that had an issue, the front sight being crooked. Mossberg customer service, well, the first guy was difficult and not very helpful, I forgot his name. When we hung up the phone it was left at my having to send the barrel back to Mossberg but I didn't like that option nor being without my brand new shotgun intact.

I contacted somebody on this site and was given another point of contact, but a week or two or maybe three weeks passed with my not finding the time to contact that person and continue this process as I've already been through this hassle REPEATEDLY with other gun manufacturers. Strangely, there was a knock at my door one night and it was the Fedex man delivering a new barrel, I have no idea who at Mossberg decided to have it sent. The bead sight on the new barrel is straighter than the old one but it still seems off by a bit, but it is a DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT over the original so I've decided to just be happy with it. My thanks to that person at Mossberg who decided to just make things right, or at least attempt to.

When I did a google search for QC issues with Mossberg I found too many. So here's my main problem and reason for even writing this...

I REALLY LIKE MOSSBERG SHOTGUNS! Aside from QC issues, and yep, that's a biggie, how can you not like Mossbergs?

I don't like their current level of quality control. It's maybe kinda like being a fan of the Chevy Corvette but hating the fact that they aren't (this is hypothetical) building them well.

Mossberg makes a very neat shotgun, whether it be the 500 or the 590 series, but reading about all these problems and issues time and again on this site is disappointing, frustrating, and my own experience confirms that there are issues.

All I can say is, if, you are like me and you like this brand Mossberg, but hate all the issues they're having, get on the phone, better still right a letter, on paper, even an email, to Mossberg and let them know their reputation is sinking. We're not interested in their excuses, just build the gun right.

I really want to continue to like and respect this brand, but these issues need to be addressed by management, they are UNACCEPTABLE. I really like this brand, I mean, most of us are in agreement, assuming the dang thing is working, that these are very neat, awesome shotguns, and it's hard not to want one, and I would REALLY ENJOY buying another, like a 9 shot 590A1 SPX or military issue model, but at this point, NO WAY would I buy one sight unseen, not when I see the truly sloppy brazing of the sight base or that ring that goes around the magazine. No way I'm spending $700 to $900 bucks so I can open the box and see crap like that.

I've actually collected photos from gunbroker, of new 590A1's with the very sloppy brazing. Not acceptable. Cosmetic, yes, but I'm beginning to read too many function complaints regarding the Mossberg, and I've now seen several people complain that the safety engages at the worst possible time. At a local gun shop I found one new 590A1 with a very crooked front sight and another 590A1 with a seriously crooked rear ghost ring protective ear set up. No more buying Mossbergs sight unseen.

It's a frustrating position to be in, liking the Mossbergs as much as I do, but then reading that so very many people are having issues with them. I'm sure most of you realize I'm not bashing the brand, but hopefully I'm motivating many of you to contact Mossberg and demand they get their act together. This wonderful brand of Mossberg is too good to let go to the dogs and I sincerely hope people light a fire under their butts and Mossberg management gets their act together. I don't want to see this wonderful shotgun manufacturer become what it is becoming.

Myself, I'd enjoy buying myself another 590A1, a 500 JIC, and a 500 with a full stock, but maybe I should buy an old used one from back when they had less issues. Please contact Mossberg and put some heat on them to return to being company with a sterling reputation! Thank you all, speech over.

Back