• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone know how to make a Trail Cam External Battery Pack?

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
I have a couple of cheapo Wildview EZ Cams that have a battery life of about 3 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own 12v external battery packs and would like to pass on their idea to me. Thanx. My apologies if i have this posted in the wrong section.

Re: Anyone know how to make a Trail Cam External Battery Pac

no, but this summer we put out a fire caused by a trail cam modified to use an extermal batt.....the owner paid the suppression costs

I have a camera that takes 4 C cells, one that takes 6 C cells and my recent one that takes 8 C cells. They want 70.00 for the external pack and that doesn't include shippng from what they said when i phoned them. You can buy the batteries cheap and locally and then you can wire the unit up yourself. There would be no worries about a fire as i want to hang the camera out for the whole winter when the hunting season comes to an end. The rest of the year i usually go out and exchange the batteries myself while i'm scouting.

Gary Murray said:
4 C cells, one that takes 6 C cells and my recent one that takes 8 C cells.

Just calculating the factory battery (voltage) requirements.

Each C cell battery is 1.5 volts.

1.5 volts x
4C= 6v
6C= 9v
8C= 12v

I would be very concerned about converting the first two you mentioned over to a 12v battery because they probably would fry the electronics in short order. At least without some type of voltage step down between the battery and the camera.

And since DC doesn't step down through a transformer the way AC current does, the only way to accomplish that is convert the DC to AC and step it down, and then convert it back to DC after the fact. While entirely possibly to do, it would be pretty cost prohibitive to do it for something like a camera. Not to mention a lot of parts and likely a homemade circuit board.

when I was learning how to calculate voltage requirements when I was going to electrical school, they only allowed a 1% difference in voltage.

So a 6v power supply could only deviate .6 volts to be within spec (not much more than a half of a volt) and a 12v would be alright either 1.2 volts more or 1.2 volts less than 12.0 volts exactly (why raw car batteries are often in the low 13v range).

But throwing double the voltage on the camera's that aren't designed around 12v, probably would not end well in the long run.

What I did on my camera that took 4C batteries, I started using a 6v rechargable lantern battery. Lantern batteries are still the required 6v I need for that specific camera, but have considerably more amperage (life) and why they last so much longer between charges.

The first 2 are not the ones i want the pack for. It's for my Stealthcam that takes the 8 C's. The first one is a very cheap camera (Wildview EZ Cam) and the batteries for that one only lasts about 3 weeks. Plus they aren't that good in cold temps. I had fresh deer tracks in front of one of those cameras but no pics of the deer on the camera. My Moultrie the 2nd one has a great battery life but the Stealth is good for a month according to what they told me. The Stealth is guarding my ATV right now and i hung my Moultrie out for the winter.

Back