• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone running a Reflex Sight on their 590A1?

st1264

.270 WIN
Having trouble with my black bead on my 14" 590A1 (my eyes aren't what they used to be) so I purchased 2 red dot Reflex sights to try on it (and my Thureon Defense carbine 40 S&W).

Just wondering if anyone is running a reflex sight on their 590A1?

I bought a well reviewed rail off of Amazon, Vortex Venom and Bushnell Strike Fire red dots (still en route to me). I know the Bushnell has some mixed reviews but I didn't pay that much for it and there's a $30 rebate on them. I'll post pics if there's interest in the thread.

Not on a 590 but I did have a TruGlo reflex on an 835 at one time. Took a nice turkey with it. ;-D

I swapped it out because I like a little magnification as I primarily use my shotguns for hunting. I feel stuff like this is pretty subjective and you really need to try it out and decide.

#1 reason people don't like them on shotguns is because reflex , RDS , and other optics add too much rise . This screws up your cheek weld, some people don't mind. I hate it.
Shotguns are designed to be sighted down the receiver so when you add height , the comb , or drop, of the stock on a shotgun is too low for proper form.

Only way to tell if its for you is to try it.

The other thing I didn't like about my reflex set up was the fact that I could not co-whiteness the bead. I suppose you can rig some AR sights to it somehow to allow for back up sights but again that's not for me on a shotgun.

I never really worried about it till I lost batteries one day and was absolutely amazed at what I could not hit. I had to still look through the glass and try to estimate the POI but it was way tougher than I thought it would be. I have been shooting shotguns all my life and it sucked, the placement of the reflex prevented my from falling back on the bead for a back up.

I too have tried a red dot on a shotgun. For the reasons Oli listed with regard to comb height, cheek weld and sight plane, I too ditched it.

Never had battery issues, and it was reasonably effective for both buckshot and slugs, but I never could get accustomed to the height and not having a proper cheek weld.

I also agree its subjective, for some folks it works and can be effective. I'll be looking forward to hearing your experiences.

There is one I'm interested in that mounts super low on a vent rib called Red Ring, but I can't justify the cost any time soon.

I too have tried a red dot on a shotgun. For the reasons Oli listed with regard to comb height, cheek weld and sight plane, I too ditched it.

Never had battery issues, and it was reasonably effective for both buckshot and slugs, but I never could get accustomed to the height and not having a proper cheek weld.

I also agree its subjective, for some folks it works and can be effective. I'll be looking forward to hearing your experiences.

There is one I'm interested in that mounts super low on a vent rib called Red Ring, but I can't justify the cost any time soon.
on the other hand when I did have the Knoxx stock I added the cheek riser that comes with the stock and it did give me a good hold. In fact when it was all clicking I really believed I shot faster and more accurate with the reflex on.

I didn't end up liking how the Knoxx made it butt heavy . Then the batteries.....just went back traditional but I had to try it all for myself. It had its advantages for sure but ...

I don't think the cheek weld will be much of an issue, the reflex sights aren't much taller than the LPA rear sight I have on my Fabarm (or the peeps on 590A1's for that matter). I'll try it out and see if I like it. Here's someone with a 930 and a Fastfire III reflex sight:
attachment.php

Picked up my Vortex Venom today at the PO:
Venom0001_zps9cnc9psk.jpg

Venom10001_zpsurrwyip8.jpg

Venom20001_zpstbryaj3q.jpg

Venom40001_zpsvrynpxkl.jpg

Lowest setting, gets quite bright. Still have to take it to the farm and sight it in.
Venom50001_zps1m19n0d3.jpg

Venom60001_zpsl75xwyqq.jpg

Initially was worried about my cheek weld, but after holding it - doesn't seem to be an issue.
Venom70001_zpsbsqyggbx.jpg

Venom80001_zpsueagvrwc.jpg

Bottom is a bore sighter, top is the red dot (about 8yds). Unsure where I should zero it or if I should adjust anything at this short distance.
Venom100001_zpslw4eyc8u.jpg

^ Wish the dots were that clear to my terrible eyes, my astigmatism plays with it... they look more like stars with flares coming off them but it's still effective for me. Love my Vortex Strikefire on my JRC.

Cheekweld will be known when you shoot it.....You will not have a proper cheek weld with that stock/sight combo.
If you can manage with it then you should be fine.

A good way to tell is multiple target drills under time.....when you're point shooting as fast as you can, managing 12g recoil is when you will find it gets out of shape before you know it , squaring up behind the gun with a good tight cheek weld is one of the keys to getting back on target and "driving" the shotgun

If you just shoot occasionally , slow fire , having fun range gun you probably wont be bothered by it

Sight in at you furthest expected distance of use and just remember to put the asterisk on the target, it works for me. I got that eye sight too.......I finally found the answer in Eotech, works better for me, not on my SG though

It's a range/farm/HD gun. Won't see much abuse... think I ran 100 shells at most through it in a year. That stock felt the best to me and that's why I put it on. If not, I have the original stock and an old walnut one I can toss on.

Won't know until I start shootin'.

It's a range/farm/HD gun. Won't see much abuse... think I ran 100 shells at most through it in a year. That stock felt the best to me and that's why I put it on. If not, I have the original stock and an old walnut one I can toss on.

Won't know until I start shootin'.
hope it works out. If anything I'm sure you can use the sight elsewhere as it is an excellent sight

Didn't have much time and only access to an indoor range today so I shot about 10 slugs. Dot was bright and it was a little tricky to sight in, as the L was R and the Up was Down o_O

Got it close and had to leave. Man, does that SBS 14" 590A1 turn into a flamethrower with slugs! Wish I had some pics or video of it. Put a smile on my face :)

I love this shotgun.

The First Strike on my Thureon Defense .40 sighted in easier, but the dot is significantly duller, it's high riser is too high to co-witness with my Magpul back up sights - although it did it's job. Hopefully both of these reflex sights hold up for the long term.

right on.

when doing the red dot sometimes left means "move the dot left" sometimes it means " move the hole left"

Simply hold the dot on a bulls eye.
Make a nice trigger pull.
Now hold on the bull again, take your adjustment tool and while holding the dot on the bull and move the dot with adjuster untill the dot covers the hole you just shot
you should only be slightly off on your next shot , adjust for the last little bit

Just remember with a red dot , or scope you chase the hole

I don't know about the First Strike but the Vortex should last a while......and if it doesn't you can keep on getting new ones. Vortex is truly a no questions asked warranty

I put a big dot over the bead on my 590a1. Very fast target acquisition and tritium for low light.

I'm thinking about one of the Trijicon RMR's as well.

You can get all kind of MOA's in them.

What MOA would you guys get in a shotgun?

Mine is a 3 MOA, but you can definitely use larger for a shotgun... depends on what you prefer.

RMR is an excellent sight.

Back