• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Assembled/Complete AR's

I'd try your Bushnell to see if it cowitnesses first.

I've posted that question up on a few boards, but haven't gotten a real answer yes or no. Since it is at least based on the ACOG design, I would guess that it will cowitness OK, but not having one to check first hand, I can't say without a doubt one way or another if Bushnell deviated from the ACOG sizes or not and the last thing I want to do is tell someone wrong.

Still, I'm sure you can use the Bushnell as the primary optic on the flat top, no doubt there. Just can't comment about cowitnessing with irons.

As for UTG, their quality has gotten a lot better than when they first came out.

Besides using their detachable rear sights, the last few hunting AR's I built, I am using their 1 piece scope mounts on them. I just can't justify 130 bucks for a 1 piece mount. The $30 UTG scope mounts have served me well and I have really used them in the field. They even hold their zero when you take them off and put them back on.

huntingARs014.jpg

The paint on those is sweet!

Yeah, def gonna give the Bushnell a go! Did I mention it has a "T" reticle and is dual color, red/green with 5 brightness etteing per color? ;) It is kinda a nice sight!

Man really excited! A guy at work got a Colt AR this weekend... our friend who is in the Navy may even have some mags! ...thinking abouyt the deal Troy has goin on magazines. $45 for 3.

JoeBob Outfitters has their Magpul PMAGs for $13 a piece and free shipping on orders of $90 or more...

I'm in the same boat. My short list has the S&W M&P sport at the top of the list. I'm a paycheck or two away from buying and price IS an object. There are Bushmaster and Olympic units and a few more with good reviews that I would go for. I have a dealer who has been willing to do his best to match web prices - total, bottom line. We'll be talking a lot in the coming days. I'd like to do 3 gun this year and my current best candidate is my SKS. I'd use it just to gain the experience but I think an AK will serve me better. The SKS is still at 10 rounds and will probably stay that way. A 308 would be great. Too bad the Saiga is limited to 10 rounds as well. Chances are that if the S&W is priced right in a few weeks that I'll pick one up.

Thanks for the heads up LES!

Mingaa, The S&W M&P Sport was a close second for me! Real good prices on those too!

The reason I'm goin with the Olympic? John introduced me to a forum much like this one, but its an OA forum. It is THE forum for Olympic Arms with a number of OA staff as part of the membership. There is a great deal of support without pretention. Good group of folks, the site is as laid back as ours here!

Good rifle, good price, great support!

Looking for Pmag's? Try Botach Tactical. Free shipping on ALL orders. Regular $14.98 ea. Coupon Code: slickmag 20% off all Magpul Products, until 12/31/2012

Rossignol said:
Thanks for the heads up LES!

Mingaa, The S&W M&P Sport was a close second for me! Real good prices on those too!

The reason I'm goin with the Olympic? John introduced me to a forum much like this one, but its an OA forum. It is THE forum for Olympic Arms with a number of OA staff as part of the membership. There is a great deal of support without pretention. Good group of folks, the site is as laid back as ours here!

Good rifle, good price, great support!
We'll see where the market is and what my buddy can do in a couple of weeks. There are a few good guns (IMHO) in the 'starter' range that I'd own based on reviews and hands-on at shops / shows. Oly, DPMS...

What kind of gas block and hand railis on th tan ar in this pic ......I want mine to look like that one.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 231
ernestrincon said:
What kind of gas block and hand railis on th tan ar in this pic ......I want mine to look like that one.

I would guess a low profile gas block with a 13" free floating rail. I think that barrel looks like a 14.5 with the flash hider making up the extra 1.5 requirement. But I am new to the AR platform. As for brands there are plenty of them out there, you just need to shop for the ones you like and an afford.

With Johns help, I was able to refine my searches for magazines... I was just gonna go with the Troy, but I'm also having to cut some expense a little.

The deal on the Troy magazines certainly isnt bad... 3 magazines for $42. $14 a magazine compared to Magpuls $15 per Pmag.

John pointed me towards the GI magazines, making sure they include the anti tilt follower, (Green and not grey, from Magpul) or at least get the anti tilt followers to upgrade surplus mags or whatever.

So I was checkin out Palmetto State Armory for Federal XM193 FMJ (which I went ahead and ordered, the lowest prices I could find!!!) and I checked out their magazines. They have the GI aluminum magizines, black teflon coated, with Magpul's green anti tilt follower for $9.99 ea! I ordered a few of those for now too!

DH 5.56 30rd Aluminum Mag
1767.jpg

I've had a lot of help from all of you here, Thank You! I should be ordering my rifle this weekend! Headed to a gunshow I hope this weekend too to look for more ammo, sights, magazines and anything else that looks fun! :D

I may not be able to get all the exact and specific parts I want right now, but I'll have a fully functional rifle! We'll be able to shoot and get the stuff I really want on down the road somewhere! ;)

Later!

I have a bunch of D&H mags. All of mine have been good to go.

With the magpul follower already installed, $10 a mag is a good price and will do just fine.

As for followers, the very old school black followers are the least desirable and generally will let bullets nosedive in the magazine giving feeding failures.

There are a couple versions of GI spec green followers. They're an improvement over the black followers, but the magpul anti tilt followers like what are in the mags you bought are the best of the 4 types of followers available.

If I think about it tomorrow, I'll try to take a picture of all 4 types to show the differences.

I've had a long time to collect a few different magazines :lol:

firearmmagazine004.jpg

Kodiak said:
Looking for Pmag's? Try Botach Tactical. Free shipping on ALL orders. Regular $14.98 ea. Coupon Code: slickmag 20% off all Magpul Products, until 12/31/2012

too bad they wont ship em to CA...i hate this state...good thing Nevada is next door

I need help.

Additionally, I need some advice regarding some things I'm lookin for.

Are there any significant differences from maker to maker in colors? Like Magpul FDE and ERGO tan or dark earth, or Troy, or anyone?

Are there any that may be called similarly, but are just stupid goofy lookin when you put them together?

Please advise, I think my head is spinning from lookin at a bunch of stuff... Thanks!

There will be a bit of variance in color between manufacturers, but Magpul and Ergo are pretty darn close. Here's a Magpul PMAG and AFG in FDE and an Ergo grip in TAN on my SCAR...

The Ergo grip is just a hair lighter, but not by much.

I just remembered that the ladder rail covers on the forend are also from Ergo...

Ooooh! Awesome!!! Thats pretty much what I need to know! I want the MOE handgaurd and ERGO F93... that works! Also, I intend to paint my Bushnel red dot the color of the skull in my avatar. I think it will be pretty close! Hmmm, paint on teflon coated mags wont work well I dont think...

Thanks man! ;)

all b'danged!!! I had no idea!

Thanks!!! ;)

The thing to remember about AR's: if you can dream it up, chances are someone already makes it. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back