• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR build and my target prices

I'm starting a thread, hopefully interactive, about prices I should be expecting in this current "firearmageddon" time. I realize there are a whole bunch of variables, so with this exercise I hope to nail down some realistic pricing. As a few of you know, I have chosen the worst time in years to take up building an AR. I'm in absolutely no hurry except for pending legislation. These are prices that I have seen parts go for, or I bit on in the past several weeks on the web, granted they didnt last long. That said let's get this started.

Stripped lower receiver (forged)- (purchased) DTI mil-spec $138.24

Stripped upper (forged) A3 w/ M4 feed ramp- (purchased) Red X mil-spec $68

Bolt carrier group- (purchased) AR Stoner M16 mil-spec $154

ALL FROM RAINIER ARMS
Charging handle forged mil-spec- (purchased) WOA $19.95
Magpul CTR mil-spec- (purchased) $79.95
Mil-spec buffer tube kit- (purchased) RA $72
UPK- (purchased) RA $24
S & H- $7.95

LPK w/o trigger group- (purchased) PSA $71.19

FFL- $40 :x

Trigger- (purchased) ALG (QMS) $44.95

Total investment thus far-

LOOKING AT

16" CL 1/7 barrel assembled with FS post- $280?

MI flip up rear site- $120?

I'm getting there! Looking like the build is going to run me just over 1k.

You may already know this, but a 14.5 inch barrel will need either:

A. Brought to 16 inches permanently by pin and welding or silver solder brazing on a barrel extension to be legal

or

B. $200 tax stamp be paid and registered with .gov as an SBR

Just in case you weren't aware, 16 inches is the shortest you can go without registration.

cdnn investments had collapsible M4 stock assemblies with commercial tubes for $40 the other day. Unsure if they still do.

John A. said:
You may already know this, but a 14.5 inch barrel will need either:

A. Brought to 16 inches permanently by welding on a barrel extension to be legal

or

B. $200 tax stamp be paid and registered with .gov as an SBR

Just in case you weren't aware, 16 inches is the shortest you can go without registration.

cdnn investments had collapsible M4 stock assemblies with commercial tubes for $40 the other day. Unsure if they still do.

Thanks John I did not know that about the barrel. This particular barrel does not come with a flash suppressor, would that be included in the overall length? I will check the site for the stock and edit my original post. Thanks again.

M4 Stock is gone, but I have a target price!

Yes, you may pin/weld a flash hider onto the barrel to add to the overall length, but it'll have to be a special one like the yhm phantom that is at least 1.5" long. Most AR/M16 flash hiders are only 1 inch long, and aren't long enough to bring the overall barrel length to the legal minimum 16 inches.

You'd be better served by just getting a 16 inch barrel to start with. You don't have to weld anything onto the gun with a 16 incher.

Plus, would allow you to later change forends and gas blocks and things that would otherwise be a 1 time deal with the the welded barrel since you couldn't disassemble that one.

You would also need to be mindful of the barrel extension whether it has M4 feedramps or not, and the specific upper receiver because some are different internally.

There are 2 types of Barrel extensions. Rifle and M4.

And upper receivers are cut somewhat differently between the two.

what kind of upper are you wanting to get? That would determine the cost of the upper parts. There are 3 different types. A1, A2, and A3 uppers. All have different parts where the rear sights are concerned.

I know a lot of people say that AR's are like lego's and everything is interchangable, but that's hardly the case when you're talking about building from the ground up, there are quite a few technical details to watch

John A. said:
Yes, you may pin/weld a flash hider onto the barrel to add to the overall length, but it'll have to be a special one like the yhm phantom that is at least 1.5" long. Most AR/M16 flash hiders are only 1 inch long, and aren't long enough to bring the overall barrel length to the legal minimum 16 inches.

You'd be better served by just getting a 16 inch barrel to start with. You don't have to weld anything onto the gun with a 16 incher.

Plus, would allow you to later change forends and gas blocks and things that would otherwise be a 1 time deal with the the welded barrel since you couldn't disassemble that one.

Got it editing my post!

That's OK, I edited my earlier post to add more info too LOL

what kind of upper are you wanting to get? That would determine the cost of the upper parts. There are 3 different types. A1, A2, and A3 uppers. All have different parts where the rear sights are concerned.

Ugh! More research to do.

huskers15 said:

Ugh! More research to do.

Okay going with the A3 upper with M4 feed ramp

Those uppers look good.

You'll need a 5.56 caliber bolt carrier group and charging handle with either one of those two you choose though.

The 300 blackout will generally be a little harder to find ammo for since it's not been available for near as long as 5.56 has, but just getting either right now will be pretty tough in any meaningful quantity.

I'm hoping the market straightens up pretty soon, but I'm not holding my breath to wake up tomorrow to find ammo shelves full. Now's probably the worst time you could've picked to be getting started buying for any caliber.

Other than that small inconvienience, either of those two uppers should be just fine.

On a technical level, the twist rate in the 5.56 barrel probably won't be all that great in the accuracy department if you put 75 and 77 gr bullets through it. They tend to prefer 1:7 twist barrels, but the upside is that barrel should shoot just about any other commercial and nato surplus ammo really well. 45-65 gr bullets.

Just maybe not so much with the heavy stuff.

They'll shoot them, they just won't be very accurate. Especially at longer distances.

If it makes you feel better, all of my AR barrels have been 1:9 twist because I don't shoot the expensive match grade 75 gr ammo LOL. All my ammo reserves are in the 55-62 gr bullet varieties and I am content with that.

The Seekins lowers are great from what I hear and quite honestly, Even their $260 lowers are a good price, if I could swing it I would like one, That or a LAR Grizzly lower, but they were recently bought out, That is another thread.

In your list of items, the adjustable stock, did that include the buffer and spring? If so, that a good price as well.

I don't even know why I'm looking, I still have yet to shoot my daughters AR
Best of luck

In your list of items, the adjustable stock, did that include the buffer and spring? If so, that a good price as well.

Not sure, I just checked availability. If you google that company, it might answer your question.

Ok, moving on.... Picked up a lower receiver today, have the LPK on order (still waiting on a charge to my cc). Received 4, 30 round mags in the mail today :D .

Next step is what is my price threshold for an, upper, barrel, bcg, etc.?

You folks have been the best with advice, hence I keep coming back.

Thanks, Jeff

What is the consensus on here on collapsible stocks? There are quite a few available out there just don't have the experience with them to narrow down my choices.....

folding stocks won't work on regular AR's. They'll only work on the 22lr conversions

Just pick the one you like.

No one hears about a bad buttstock very often.

John A. said:
They'll only work on the 22lr conversions

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhh. I just had one of those moments where I just realized something that should have been completely obvious to me. This realization may alter the direction of my current project. :twisted:

Back