• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR: Confirmed a Permitless Carry State

Scoop

.30-06
LINK

Arkansas is Now Confirmed a Permitless Carry State

Carrying a firearm without an Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry Licenses has been in a somewhat grey area. Since the General Assembly enacted Act 746 in 2013, which amended statute 5-73-120 to state:

A PERSON COMMITS THE OFFENSE OF CARRYING A WEAPON IF HE OR SHE POSSESSES A HANDGUN, KNIFE, OR CLUB ON OR ABOUT HIS OR HER PERSON, IN A VEHICLE OCCUPIED BY HIM OR HER, OR OTHERWISE READILY AVAILABLE FOR USE WITH A PURPOSE TO ATTEMPT TO UNLAWFULLY EMPLOY THE HANDGUN, KNIFE, OR CLUB AS A WEAPON AGAINST A PERSON.

The important part of this is the last part, “with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.”

Since then many people have argued that Arkansas was a Permitless Carry state. But the Attorney General Leslie Rutledge disagreed stating open carry was legal but an Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry License is still required to concealed carry in Arkansas.

Then on October 17, 2018, the Arkansas Court of Appeals made a ruling that pretty much cemented the fact that Arkansas is a Permitless Carry state. Spats McGee summed it up nicely in a forum post on The Firing Line stating:

Yesterday, the Arkansas Court of Appeals issued Taff v. State, which was an appeal from a conditional guilty plea. The trial court had denied Mr. Taff’s motion to suppress, but the Court of Appeals reversed. Mr. Taff had been seen going in and out of a store several times, possibly with a gun. The store owner called it in, and the police went to check it out. The officer activated his blue lights when he saw Mr. Taff walking down the highway, turned around, and made contact with Taff. In the end, the court ruled that it was an illegal seizure and suppressed the evidence. For TFL purposes, here’s the important part:

Quote:
The State argued that Officer Davis seized Taff because he “had to determine the lawfulness of [Taff’s] conduct going in and out of the store and carrying that weapon and acting suspiciously.” Merely possessing a weapon is not a crime in the State of Arkansas. See Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-120(a) (providing that “[a] person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun … on or about his person … with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun … as a weapon against a person”); see also Op. Ark. Att’y No. 064 (2015) (“n general merely possessing a handgun on your person … does not violate § 5-73-120(a) and may be done if it does not violate other laws or regulations.”). Under the clear language of section 5-73-120(a), the possessor of a handgun must have an unlawful intent to employ it as a weapon against a person in order to make that possession a criminal act. Under the rule of lenity, any doubts as to the interpretation of a criminal statute are resolved in favor of the defendant. See Williams v. State, 364 Ark. 203, 208, 217 S.W.3d 817, 819–20 (2005).
There is nothing in the record before us to indicate that Taff demonstrated any sort of unlawful intent with the weapon prior to the engagement of the blue lights—such as threatening someone at the store or brandishing the weapon—that would have given officers reasonable suspicion of a crime sufficient to effectuate the stop with the blue lights. To the contrary, Officer Davis’s testimony was clear that there were no indicators of unlawful activity or intent and that he had no information that would have indicated Taff’s possession of a gun was unlawful.

Taff v. State, 2018 Ark. App. 488

USA Carry

Good.

I wish my state was still like that.

My Grandmother carried a 32 snub nose J frame in her purse until she died.

Even after they passed the CCW law, she would not stop carrying in defiance of the law and said she wasn't paying the state a tax on her right to defend herself.

This is where we all should stand.

Congratulations Arkansas!

Good.

I wish my state was still like that.

My Grandmother carried a 32 snub nose J frame in her purse until she died.

Even after they passed the CCW law, she would not stop carrying in defiance of the law and said she wasn't paying the state a tax on her right to defend herself.

This is where we all should stand.
John, I'll bet she was quite a character.

If you only knew.

If she liked you, she would do anything in the world for you.

If she didn't like you, she'd go to the end of the earth just to throw you off the edge of it.

Back