• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are there different opinions on best HD shot pattern?

Tom396

.30-06
All I want to determine, with this thread, is whether or not there is any difference of opinion about the best shot pattern for home defense. We can always argue about what is the best, on a different thread. :D

It would seem, anyone who loads slugs definitely believes the tightest pattern is the only one to have. I understand the advantage of a tight shot pattern, since it minimizes the chances of a stray pellet hitting an innocent bystander. However, I can't help but think that in a life or death moment, a wider pattern would help insure that at least some pellets hit the attacker.

Again, I'm only trying to determine if there are even different opinions about this. Take care. Tom Worthington

I'm sure there will be many different opinions.

I personally like to aim small, miss small.

Can I do this under stress and under attack and being fearful, possibly in the dark and maybe injured or so mad that my memory blacks out coupled with an adrenaline kick?

I hope to never have to find out, but I have at least put forth my best effort in doing just that.

I have to deal with "across a parking lot" distances with my 590 so I go with all slugs. All the time.

When I am faced with room length scenarios I would not care one bit about the buckshot or slug load I had in my shotgun. Fifteen feet with a slug or buck is fairly similar with regards to effectiveness. But slug still rules..

I'm certain there are differences in opinion. I too like aim small miss small, every pellet on target.

NiteSite is right in that at 15' it makes little difference.

A few loads open up real fast, even at say 7 yards, but at a little less I couldn't tell any real difference between Fed FliteControl and Winchester Super X.

My philosophy with using 00 over a slug is I want each pellet causing its own wound tract, if that's possible given the distance. But still a tight pattern.

I know some hold the belief that a wider pattern is better because it increases the probability of hitting something. It means the shotgun doesn't have to be used as precisely and possibly their living situation allows that sort of mentality. But again, just as NiteSite said, it may not matter.

So is there a difference in opinion? Sure. Does it make a difference? Probably not to most of us.

In any case, I'm squarely in Johns camp and hope I never have reason to find out if it makes any difference.

Sorry, I know I was getting off target there a little. Hope I managed to bring it back around! lol

Plenty of opinions here and elsewhere, and not just about shotgun patterns, but also other firearms and weapons for HD. In fact, I change my own opinion almost daily. Sometimes, I even confuse myself. :mrgreen: I've come to realize that the only opinion that counts, will be the one I have at the moment of need.

I like a pattern that's going to spread to about 4-5" at a given distance within my home.
I feel that I have a better chance at hitting a vital organ or maybe two with that spread.
If I were in the middle country instead of in the middle of the city. I might go with slugs.

I still haven't found any #4 buck locality so I'm full with 00 buck for now.

nitesite said:
When I am faced with room length scenarios I would not care one bit about the buckshot or slug load I had in my shotgun. Fifteen feet with a slug or buck is fairly similar with regards to effectiveness. But slug still rules..

+1

i measured the farthest distance i might have to shoot in my house(21') then went to the range and set up a paper targret at that distance and fired loads i would likely use in my HD gun to find out 1) how big the patterns were at that distance and 2) where center of pattern hit in reference to point of aim. I highly recommend this method.....Mike

^I agree 100% percent zoner.

I always had 00 buck loaded, but after considering that the longest inside shot I would realistically have is 10 yards, and using the rule of thumb of 1" of spread per 1 yard of range with a cylinder bore choke, I switched to #1 buck. A 10" spread would put all the pellets within the torso and I'd rather have 16 .30 cal holes than 9 .33 cal holes. Both will penetrate deep enough to get it done. I also considered #4 buck but was concerned that penetration might be less than optimal. Just my opinion.
FWIW
YMMV

My shotgun is my fight to weapon, not my primary home defense weapon. My handgun, which is easier to manuver around the house is my primary. Foe that reason, I load my shotgun with all slugs. I have a 25 round mag on my pistol, so if it's not enough, crap has done hit the fan.

yep, figure out the distance you will shoot and then shoot different rounds and brands till you find what you like at that distance.
in a real situation I doubt things will go as we plan. the main thing is aiming. got to get that down pat.

What pistol ?

Glock 22 with extended magazine. I use a 22 rounder with a Taylor Freelance extension. I have a highly tricked out USPSA Open gun with red dot optic and comp on it. I have 6 25 round mags for it, so I keep one in my HD pistol as well.

My AR which is usually next to the shotgun has a Surefire 60 rounder in it.

Choke tubes really help to make a shotgun versatile..and more effective. Right now on my 930 I have a Carlson' s rifled choke in as I'm doing a little experiment on how much spread a 3" 15 00' mag will be at in the house range. I have read that out of a fully rifled barrel you have a large donut pattern at 25 yards that's considered unusable but I am thinking I just might get a 9" to 12" paper plate sized pattern at 23' which is the longest distance possible in my house..That's my goal. Since I am on 5 acres for any long shot I would tend to want to use a slug anyway and in my gun slug accuracy is much better with the Carlson's. I'm really curious if it will usable up close and then be good outside on the critters killing our chickens. And how it works with the PDX load.When a pack of sometimes 20 Yotes are out howling in the yard you just get a quick glimpses to get a shot off a big donut pattern might be useful. So try and experiment with different chokes and loads to see what works for your needs.Adding a Limbsaver makes working with the heavy 3" buck loads doable.

Back