• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

arrrrrrgggg

11Dark11

So,

Poopy hunt weekend. Finally had a shot on a buck 130m distance.
My MVP 223 was 1.5 inch at 100 on the range.

I had time to lay down and get set up, the rnd went wide. The buck ran off, no blood no hair nothing found we spent 1.5hrs looking.

Took it to the range today same bullets as the 1.5 inch target shots. This time only 2 hit the paper. Wtf.......... fusion 62 gr......

I'm not exactly a fan of using 223 on deer, but my sincere question is that the same ammo that you zero'd with? Scope and mounts still tight?

Reason I don't really like 223 is the small entrance wound, and often little or no blood trail. Especially if you don't turn the vitals into slush puppy.

This isn't a dig on you. Seriously, it really isn't. I do hope that you can get it figured out.

Yes same ammo, every thing is tight still. Aimed at the lungs, the deer here are large dogs, Great Dain size.

I understand your response as to useing 223. After today I back to my 30.06 tikka. For the rest of the season.

I wish I had a sure fire fix for you, but I really don't. I hope you get it figured out though.

I know that feeling well. Unfortunately.

I know how this rnd can work well and how poor it can work. After yesterday I might never take it out hunting. Even now might not bother learning to reload for it. So it’s time to put it away for a month or two. Extremely disappointed in this Mossberg right now, even when I rack a 2nd rnd the bolt marks up the next rnd.

I used some fusion in one of my AR builds and I did not find it to be very consistent compared to others, but not to the extream you describe and it could just be that it was not the right load for my barrel. Just my experience, not sure how others have faired with it. Some ammo/barrel.combos just do not work. If you were able.to zero with this ammo it may not be the issue.

Recheck the scope mounts, rail, etc. Has anything come loose? Has it been dropped or hit since sight in?

Check the crown on the barrel, did it get damaged?

Did you sight in with a cold or hot barrel?

Did you sight in with a dirty or clean barrel?

Was the ammo from the same box? Same lot number?

Any one of these or combinations could cause variances.

My initial gut reaction would be scope or mounts given the amount of variance you described.

Check the internals of the scope the best you can. I once spent hours chasing the bullseye only to find the reticle was loose inside the scope. Unfortunately it took a while for it to become lose enough that I could hear it rattle before it became obvious that it was the cause of the issues. Can you hear anything loose when you shake it?

If you were really stable and missed by a foot it's got to be mechanical.

As far as having a rifle "zeroed" the best thing I can suggest is to get your zero with a fouled and cold barrel.

Let the POI wander as the barrel heats up when range shooting, it's just target practice. And don't fire a cold shot from a freshly cleaned barrel.

I have seen some rifles be way off if the final scope adjustments were done after a few 5-shot strings and the barrel then cooled. But usually that doesn't result in a foot or more off.

No dumb questions, no wind at the time of the shot, and no wind at the range.

I wait 2 to 5 min between shots when zeroing. Hunting is allways cold steel shot.

After it was grouping at 50m I switched to the 100m

Ammo was from the same box.

After the seasons over I’ll tare the rifle apart. The castle nut is stuck I tried putty no on a single point sling and wow the nut would not budge. Then I zeroed the rifle.

When I first bought my .223 rifle I tried shooting Fusion. After one box of that I never bought another. It has the least consistent long range performance compared to Winchester's or American Eagles.

But then I started loading my own .223's from a special formula & performance increased remarkably.

With my custom 75gn loads I could shoot as good or better a pattern at 200 yards as 65gn bulk ammo at 100 yards.

YMMV, but I cannot recommend fusion loads. I have also tried Fusion in my .30-30 carbine and my .45-70 govt guide gun.

They Keyhole.

So ended the season with the t3 lite 30.6 and boom meat in the freezer. D4C897C4-23CC-430C-8EA7-6D27B8C040B2.jpeg
It was a 30 min before the sun when down windless day. I’m glassing the cutblock and see something blue moveing..... did not see him untill then lol

Today is the day I start disassembling the rifle. Let’s hope I don’t lose any pices lol.

So I found tones of oil were it doesn’t belong. Most likely the cause of the poor performance.
6DE75A8C-B5F3-4C7C-995E-C90E0BD67D9A.jpeg 471C172B-F267-41F9-A49A-009898BA7DBF.jpeg Every location metal was required to be touching oil was in the way.

Last edited:
Back