• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ARTICLE: Facts About Assault Weapons & Crime

mingaa

Raconteur
Wall Street Journal - 1/17/13 - missed this John Lott article for a week??!

This from the article - and more (with 17,000+ comments!):

"The civilian version of the Bushmaster uses essentially the same sorts of bullets as small game-hunting rifles, fires at the same rapidity (one bullet per pull of the trigger), and does the same damage. The civilian version of the AK-47 is similar, though it fires a much larger bullet—.30 inches in diameter, as opposed to the .223 inch rounds used by the Bushmaster. No self-respecting military in the world would use the civilian version of these guns.

A common question is: "Why do people need a semiautomatic Bushmaster to go out and kill deer?" The answer is simple: It is a hunting rifle. It has just been made to look like a military weapon.

But the point isn't to help hunters. Semiautomatic weapons also protect people and save lives. Single-shot rifles that require you to physically reload the gun may not do people a lot of good when they are facing multiple criminals or when their first shot misses or fails to stop an attacker...."

FULL ARTICLE: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... %3Darticle

hmmmm, heart in the right place but technically hunting has no protection, our right to defend ourselves does. I can see how this can win over hunters on the fence but as far as how hunting plays into the 2nd....it’s questionable IMO

Point taken but I think his over-arching point is 'why are we bothering to ban these weapons?

He closes:
"The Bushmaster, like any gun, is indeed very dangerous, but it is not a weapon "designed for the theater of war." Banning assault weapons will not make Americans safer."

He also defends their legitimate use when "...facing multiple criminals...".

The fact that it is a gun positive article in the largest US newspaper (not some blog blather) I believe is a good thing. The WSJ has an average paper and web circulation of 2,293,798. I find that impressive.

Back