• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATF Whitepaper:

S

SHOOTER13

{ Courtesy of the Firearm Blog.com }

==========

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations.pdf

===========

In what appears to fly in the face of the Bureau’s prior attitudes towards enforcement of gun laws, a white paper by BATFE Associate Deputy Director Ronald Turk was recently leaked which proposed loosening or modifying gun regulations in sixteen ways, to be discussed below. If you have not yet read Nicholas’ post on the leak, you can do that, and also follow the link here to the white paper itself. In this article, I’ll be taking a (hopefully) brief look at what the white paper means and why it’s so significant (and it is significant, don’t get me wrong).

First, we must understand what the white paper isn’t.

It is not a new set of regulations, and it is not an announcement that regulations will soon change.

It’s more like a memorandum containing suggestions that could be implemented in the future. Indeed, the entire document is worded this way, making it very clear. It even says, in the executive summary:

This paper serves to provide the new Administration and the Bureau multiple options to consider and discuss regarding firearms regulations specific to ATF. These general thoughts provide potential ways to reduce or modify regulations, or suggest changes that promote commerce and defend the Second Amendment without significant negative impact on ATF’s mission to fight violent firearms crime and regulate the firearms industry.

This white paper is intended to provide ideas and provoke conversation; it is not guidance or policy of any kind.

So we’re not looking at something that immediately changes the law, or even indicates that the law will soon be changed. However, even though it is just a list of suggestions, what those suggestions are and how they are written may indicate a major shift in attitude may be occurring within the ATF.

Let’s quickly summarize what these sixteen suggestions are, first (I have bolded the most interesting suggestions):
  1. Allow/facilitating gunshow-only dealers to apply for an Federal Firearms License
  2. Reform the process of classifying ammunition as “armor piercing handgun ammunition” to allow manufacturers to produce new armor-piercing rifle ammunition while maintaining the exemption for SS109/M855, as well as an acknowledgement that many rounds not classified as “armor piercing” will still penetrate body armor.
  3. Work with the State Department and Trump Administration to import surplus C&R US service arms for sale to the American public.
  4. Allow greater flexibility to the ATF to grant FFL/SOTs permission to transfer post-86 machine guns to other FFL/SOTs working for DoD agents and in the film industry.
  5. Remove the clause in the pistol stabilizing brace (PSB) ruling that lists shouldering the brace as an NFA violation.
  6. Revise the “sporting purpose” wording to accommodate so-called “Modern Sporting Rifles” within that category.
  7. Create a database of easily accessible and understood firearms regulations and rulings.
  8. Consider reclassifying silencers as non-NFA items, revising the definition of “silencer”.
  9. Allow FFLs to transfer firearms out-of-state (such as at gun shows in a neighboring state).
  10. Discuss changing Destructive Device rulings to better differentiate between launchers and munitions (e.g. by allowing manufacturers to register whole lots of munitions as DDs, rather than the individual munitions).
  11. Change the Demand Letter 2 (DL2) requirement to a number between 10 and 25 firearms (15 suggested), from the current 10.
  12. Eliminate Demand Letter 3.
  13. Review and possibly discard the current proposal to have FFLs retain records indefinitely, from the current regulation of 20 years.
  14. Allow FFLs to run NICS checks on potential employees.
  15. Push for a Presidentially-nominated, Senate-confirmed ATF Director.
  16. Remove or amend old, obsolete regulations like the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
Whew !!

Got all that...?!

Good...!!

Rest of Article:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/06/breaking-summary-leaked-atf-white-paper-analysis-nfa-free-suppressors-shouldered-braces-armor-piercing-ammo-oh/

. . .we’re not looking at something that immediately changes the law, or even indicates that the law will soon be changed. However, even though it is just a list of suggestions, what those suggestions are and how they are written may indicate a major shift in attitude may be occurring within the ATF.

Weird stuff is happening here too, but I'm afraid it's in the opposite vein.

The AW laws here in California are incomprehensible at this point, but I MUST register within a year.

-Oops, can't do it yet! System's not done.
-Wait!
-OK, Here's the NEW regulations, go register.
-Wait! Atty Gen Kamala Harris goes to DC, and her replacement pulls down her new regulations.
-Except the one requiring registration, (within this year which is already 1/8 over.)

Cal DOJ has not put up the new rules yet.
They are expected to be even more cryptic and un-followable, because the new guy is a crusading lunatic with no technical acumen but lots of anti-2A vitriol.

With one AR to defend I'm not sure why I want to deal with building another one.

I can see their new mandate to be;
"OK, just send in the data and we'll tell you later if you can keep the gun or not."

I sure can't see majority compliance with that system.

I have read about this so called "white letter".

To me, it would seem that someone in the upper echelon has done a complete 180 from the last few years.

This would tell me a few things.

1. Whoever wrote it should've had this stance for the last 8 years and was too much of a coward to do so in the face of the prior administration, which tells me they don't have an official view and are nothing more than more "yes men" to whoever they answer to.

2. Is kissing ass wanting to move up the ladder with a big fat promotion to the top.

3. Both.

4. ATF shouldn't be writing laws in the first place and should be abolished. That's the senates job.

Trump appears to be cutting back on "agencies" passing laws and they don't like it. In my mind that is why there are so many leaks. Those in charge of their little kingdoms don't want to be vanquished. Of course to get congress to start passing laws would require them to work regular hours like the rest of us.

The AW laws here in California are incomprehensible at this point, but I MUST register within a year...I sure can't see majority compliance with that system.

"Registration means Confiscation" or in other words "What they don't know won't hurt you..." From what I have gathered, states like NY and CT have had very high levels of non-compliance... If I were you, I would just as soon lose my "AW" in a very deep lake... That is my story and I'm sticking to it... ;)

Yeah I get it Bob.
My AR and my bare receiver were both registered the day I bought them.

10 days before delivery to me.

So they know.

Recently a retired local officer got busted here for not having a bullet button on his AR. He currently works as an FFL in Fresno.

The Cal DOJ arrested him & got a warrant to search his house. They confiscated his whole collection of over 35 legal registered firearms, plus several unserialized antique and heirloom guns. They put him in the county jail, he got a lawyer and bailed out.

He is still operating his shop and they have not closed his doors. I bought my Marlin from him after he'd been arrested, and he's selling guns every day. DOJ took almost all of his inventory though. They left a few guns and there seems to be no Rhyme or Reason as to which ones they left behind.

There has been no trial yet. Just motion after motion in court, dragging out 6 mos and many $$$ so far. . .

He's out on bail for this bullet button felony the whole time, but he still has a valid CCW, and so they gave him back his CC pistol when he bailed out.

The state of California handed a pistol to a suspected felon. That part wasn't on the news. Only the part where they took away all his guns.

I know only because I've known this fellow for many years. He was on the marijuana search detail, busting pot farms. He drove "the van" (the paddy wagon...) & flew on the Fresno sherrif's air squad as well.

The bad part is that he ordered this AR as California Compliant, but when received it had the standard button. He became guilty of importing an illegal weapon (felony) even though it wasn't what he ordered.

He had complained and the seller was supposedly sending him the correct button, but it never arrived.

His button finally came by UPS.

He was seen with the AR by a DOJ undercover agent "browsing" in the gun shop.

The gun was on a locked rack on the wall. This DOJ agent says he wants to buy an AR.

The victim said, "I'll sell you this one but I have to put the California button on it first."

The state is claiming that you cannot import a gun and make it compliant, and you cannot make a non-compliant AR compliant after the fact. It must be imported that way.

Also they claim the FFL could not legally convert the gun, as he was not a licensed manufacturer.

CAL DOJ claims that only a licensed manufacturer can install the "California parts" to make a gun legal and if the gun is imported from another state it must be done before importation (if the gun was purchased after a certain date.)

What a convoluted mess the law tries to weave about us when it doesn"t want to play fair.

Last edited:
Oh yes . . . They charged him with seven felonies to make sure he wouldn't be able to bail out, and would be thoroughly drug through the system for several days.

On first hearing it was reduced to 1 felony.

The need by the "state" to control our lives, and the need for more of our money drives these people. How long will the law abiding public sit by and be picked off one by one.

Sounds like this is a guy that doesn't deserve to be in jail.

Lots of LEOs buy guns from him because he's the cheapest in town.

Our state govt just doesn't care how much money they waste pursuing the silly technicalities of law.

They're too stupid to realize or care that they're wasting their kids money and their grandkids money. All these debts will have to be paid.

If any of you have time to read, take a shot at the John Ross novel Unintended Consequences. It is fiction with a bunch of gun and guncontrol history interwoven. Main theme is overzealous gummint interference. Connects to the Whitepaper-type shenanigans discussed here and the ATF is the main offender of rights.

images

Been meaning to get that and read it...looks like it has Janet Reno all over it.

Warsaw Ghetto, Janet Reno, Branch Davidians, Ruby Ridge, Miami shootout, Knob Creek, lots of Class 3 fun. You will enjoy ATF at the gunshow theme.

I've read it twice and hopscotched thru it once for research. Go for it.

. . . Main theme is overzealous gummint interference. Connects to the Whitepaper-type shenanigans discussed here and the ATF is the main offender of rights . . .

Our founding fathers would have understood.

We live in such a technical world, but we elect actors and lawyers rather than technicians to run it all.

Gee, what could go wrong?

I am so getting tired of Hollywood types. I don't care what they think, I don't want to hear them. Most of the stuff they put out is garbage, that includes what comes out of their mouths.

Back