• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATN X sight 5-18 Night Vision scope

A few of the videos I watched made reference to the narrow field of view. Have you had any issues adjusting focus quick if something walks out at 50 when you are focussed at 150, etc.

You could almost certainly still be able to make the shot even if the screen is out of focus as long as you can put the crosshair into the silhouette where you want it to hit, but focus is the units' biggest drawback.

It's more akin to a camera, than a scope in that respect.

Think of it like this, you have your camera focused on a particular thing, the objects in the background or the foreground, are not going to be focused as well as what you are "looking" at.

I don't know any other way to describe it.

Gotcha, I just couldnt tell from the videos I watched exactly how out of focus it would be.

Do you leave it on all the time when hunting with it. It looks like it takes about 10 seconds to power up.

Yeah, I leave it on.

It used to power on rather quickly, but ATN added their logo to the powerup portion now and it is slower. But not like 10 seconds. Maybe more like maybe 6 seconds including the few seconds you have to hold in the power button to begin the process.

I found one in the $430 range but still debating.

Interesting. Did anyone else catch the the pic at the top shows it mounted to a crossbow? :D

Looks like G2 may be easier to focus and may have some other features. Glad that ATN is listening to user feedback.

"The X-Sight II introduces the Recoil Activated Video (RAV) to help record those perfect shots. Set the video record to RAV and the system will buffer everything the scope sees. As the trigger is pulled, the user is left with a full video of what was seen before the shot was taken, the moment of and as much video after as desired. With more important things to worry about then remembering to press the record button before each shot, this new feature will revolutionize the way shot footage is taken."

I kinda prefer pushing my own buttons, but I'd be willing to try the RAV.

"Gyro Range Finder. This patent-pending smart range finder"

This has been a "thing" for a while now. Still trying to figure out how that's going to work without a laser.

I've looked for some external battery packs when I first got mine because I was concerned that AA's wouldn't last as long as I needed though for me they've been fine, and I still haven't quite found one that I could mount to the gun either. Other than tape or zip tie.

"Battery Life (LI-ION):
8-12 hours

Battery Pack Life (16000MAH):
22+ hours

I like the range finder ability and I like the range compensation ability, I just hope the user can use either independently and not be forced to always use them combined.

Just had a thought. This scope is in essence a camera with a retical imposed on the image. I wonder if at some point a model will be available that comes as a base only and camera lenses can be attached to the front. just like a DSLR, to change the base magnification, field of view, etc. There's my million dollar idea.

Got an email from ATN today.

Here's the link because it has more than I am pasting.

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-...=email&utm_campaign=new_atn_products_for_2016

Ballistic calculators were never this easy. No more charts, complex reticles, and calculators. The ATN Obsidian Shooting Solution does it all. Range in with your Smart Range Finder, enter your wind readings and let the Obsidian Core do the rest.Turn through the wind, change your incline angle, adjust distance and instantaneously your point of impact will shift to have the perfect shot every time.

Profiles
  • Rifle Type
    223 Remington
  • Drag Funnction
    G1
  • Ballistic Coefficient
  • Bullet Weight
    70 gr
  • Initial Velocity
    2850 fps

I hope they update this with the Gen 1 units:
Save all the Ballistic and Zeroing-in data in the profile Manager for every weapon that you plan to use the X-Sight on. No worries about resetting everything up every time. Just create a new profile and you are ready to go.

If this works good, it may be fantastic for rifle or xbow if you could program your own data.
Our Patent Pending Smart Range Finder will make your life easier than ever. With only two clicks and a simple shift of the scope you will be able to range your target. Once ranged in your reticle will automatically adjust its point of impact. No more guessing, chart memorization or complex calculations.

atn%20rangefinder%20directions_zpsqeujwswg.png

Unlike many traditional optics, the silky smooth zoom helps you get up close and personal with everything you’re looking at.
Mine is anything BUT smooth, and more of an annoyance. I hate having to focus it period.

Its not the end of the world, but you can see it from here. The view will leave you breathless.

Back