• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Atr 100 .30-06

cvasta

Copper BB
hello all
I have been looking at the Atr .30-06 and depending on the web site some reviews are really good and other are horrible. So i wanted to see what you all have to say about it.

Thanks

I would say that the biggest complaint people have about the ATR are feeding issues due to the follower and spring configuration, which can be corrected by bending the follower spring. There's a little write up here in the ATR section on how to do it. But other than that, my ATR shoots straight (easily1") and goes bang every time.

While I'm a Mossberg devotee... the ATR is certainly a no frills type of rifle... but a good value buy none the less!

My ATR '06 was bought in 2007 and has been great. I did my own trigger job on it and it's just a hair over 1.5 lb pull now (this won't apply to the lightning bolt trigger, which adjusts down to around 2-2.5 lb). Anyway, my ATR shoots around .5 moa regularly with my reloads. That's VERY good. It has a button rifled barrel and only needs a complete cleaning with copper removal after 150 rounds. I've easily shot over 500 through it. That said, my 4x4 which I bought early this year has a broach cut barrel and it copper fouls badly within 15 shots. It's taking a lot of time and effort to shoot a couple rounds and then do a complete cleaning with copper removal each time. It's slowly smoothing out. So I guess whether I can recommend it or not depends a lot on how well the inside of the barrel is finished. You'll just have to look in the muzzle end with a flashlight to see if you can see the machining marks all through the rifling or if it looks smooth with nice crisp rifling grooves.

I heard good things about them also, I bought the 30-06 combo back in early Sept, I was excited to sight it in and test out for my self. Well before heading out the scope caps were lock on like loc tight, I try turning the cap for elervation it came right up. I sent it back on 9/26 payed 10.50 and after some help & communication They said 2-3wks. Yesterday I didn't feel comfortable that they will get it back to me in that Time I went out and bought a Good 3-9X 40 installed it and tomorrow I will shoot it for the 1st time. I could let you know how that goes. If you do buy one get it without their scope and put on your own. I wanted to buy the 4x4 in 270 or ATR but I think I'll pass on anyother Mossberg Rifles. I owned 12 Mossberg shotguns and they never seen a Gun smith, 1 rifle and I'am out $10.50 plus time plus over a months shooting to get ready for hunting trip. I hope it shoots well or I'll take the scope off and buy the Rem 700 in 30-06 or maybe the Ruger American My Son has the 270 and its a very nice gun in a flat shooting 270 130gr Power point.

I agree. Buy it without the scope. Make sure the scope bases (come with the ATR) are screwed on nice and tight. I have Nikon Buckmasters scopes on my rifles and really like them. I've looked through Nightforce and Zeiss at low light and they're only marginally better than the Buckmasters. The only downside of my cheapish scopes is they don't have a lot of MOA of adjustment (limited to around 900 yds), but they have plenty for my purposes. I realize a $290 scope is a lot of money on a gun that costs less than that. For quite a while I used a CenterPoint 4-16x40. It was $70 at Walmart. Even though the glass is pretty lame (hazy at high magnification and have to have eye perfectly centered to get full sight picture), it actually tracks pretty darn accurately, is rather durable, and has enough internal adjustment room to go well beyond 1000 yds... not that you should be shooting 1000+ with a $70 scope.

For other rifle options, I think the Howa 1500 is the best for the $. If you're wanting to swap barrels and want a really vast aftermarket, the remy 700 is it. Savage makes some decent ones too... although I'd rather have the ATR than the Axis.

The Nikon prostaff is a nice scope. The Simmons 8 Point is nice both hold Zero well The Nikon is a little more than the Simmons the Simmons has the Lock Zero. Nikon has life warranty even if gun sold. I seen the Nikon go for as little as $115 watch the Dicks, basspro flyers they run sales plus get the 10% off $50 or more coupon. After bow hunting today I'll be shooting the gun, I have heard the ATR are good shooting guns. One other thing if you mount your scope Loc Tight everything on the Scope mounts watch out around the base screws clean it good before no oil so it sets, once Zeroed you should hold good.

The Gun shoots well but if I could do anything different I'd wish I went 270. The 270 along side the 30-06 at sighting the 270 had tighter groups and less recoil. If only wanting a Deer gun go 270, if you want more options,bullet weight, hunt other game all around go 30-06. What ever you go with a good Scope will be worth it.

I'd say it's probably luck of the draw, so to speak, as far as groups. My 30-06 often shoots .5 moa and sometimes slightly better. Off a bipod that much variance is as steady as I can hold the crosshairs. I'd imagine of a lead sled or front sandbag it could do even better. It's been a long time since I've shot factory loaded ammo but soon after I started reloading I went from around 2-3" groups with the cheap Remington Core Lokt and Winchester grey box to a bit over 1" groups with my handloads. I've fine tuned my loads a bit since then and am a better shooter now, so if my 4 shot group is over 1" then I'm not too pleased... unless I know I pulled one a bit (which happens more often than I'd like to admit, but at least I know I pulled it and which direction before I see it on the target). So a 270 may shoot better than an '06, or maybe not. As always, it depends.

Back