• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATR 7mm-08 failure to fire

Charles Tiller

Copper BB
Ok, first off I have been a Mossburg fan for many years, but this rifle is one of the most frustrating firearms I have ever owned, bare with me three deer seasons to cover.

First season, Blacktail deer standing deer one shot, venison in the freezer
Second season, mule deer trotting, first round click, cycle next round, click, third round boom!
Deer over the ridge and gone. factory premium ammo
Third season, Start hand loading again, tested both factory and hand loads at the range, no malfunctions, great groups and excited for deer season, yesterday point rifle at a nice buck Click, cycle Click, buck now leaving third round boom, high miss my fault.

Primers have only light tap on miss fires, fired round normal primer strike, what is happening here? Not an ammo issue, I can find very little with on line research ideas please, Love the little rifle but I can’t trust it right now.

Check the firing pin/channel for burrs, etc? Maybe it is hanging up just enough to produce a light strike? Otherwise I got nothing... ;)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Back