• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

@nitesite, that's the same style of handle I bought for my old roofing hatchet. I still have to fit it, and the eye isn't perfect, so it'll be an epoxy job to get full bearing.

That handle fitting is about 6 projects down on the minor task list, but nowhere on the major list.

Of course one needs a break from all the major BS, which is how the minor stuff gets done.

My floor scraper-to-halberd project is on that minor list too, for a year now, so it may not get done in a timely manner.

Somebody in Fresno opened Bad Axe Throwing, an axe throwing club, and it looks like they are tossing those little Vaughns like I bought. It appears they have 24 locations!

https://badaxethrowing.com/

Well, might as well dive right in here, too!

Here's my Revolutionary War rifleman's pole-hawk, (polled tomahawk).
Started with an old Germantown roofer's hatchet I found by the side of the road. After researching them, I found that they are more than plentiful, and sell on ebay, (where I got the 1st pic), for around $10. If it were rare, I wouldn't have modified it, but at the time I read an article that said they made millions of them, and still do! I didn't grind off the Germantown so it won't be mistaken for anything more than what it is.

So, out came the torch and grinder! Red lines show where I torched it, then dressed it up with the grinder. It took forever to get the hexagonal throat and hammer head where I wanted it, (hand forged look, not perfect). The 3 notches were an afterthought.
Then I used Birchwood Casey plumb brown on it to get that old, rusty-oily look. Then, I used a sponge sanding block to knock the plumb brown back to steel on the edges for contrast and to highlight the features.
A simple, well-distressed Hickory long handle puts it more in the tomahawk range instead of the short, stubby hatchet it once was. Stained it and waxed it. (I like wax on hatchet and axe hafts because it's stickier!)
It sees regular service as a small camp axe.

PicsArt_02-16-04.28.36.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.29.23.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.30.00.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.30.38.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.31.12.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.31.47.jpg PicsArt_02-16-04.32.19.jpg

Spent about an hour and a half doing some misc. limbing and clearing in the woods today, with the USFS axe. Truth be told its the most I've used it. Chopped through a couple hardwood dead falls about 7-8 inches in diameter. While the axe makes quick work of stuff up to 2-3 inches, a chainsaw is much quicker for bigger stuff. I really should have took some pictures, but I rather enjoyed getting out and doing some hand work.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Spent about an hour and a half doing some misc. limbing and clearing in the woods today, with the USFS axe. Truth be told its the most I've used it. Chopped through a couple hardwood dead falls about 7-8 inches in diameter. While the axe makes quick work of stuff up to 2-3 inches, a chainsaw is much quicker for bigger stuff. I really should have took some pictures, but I rather enjoyed getting out and doing some hand work.

My friend, I agree with you.

Got me to thinking, I need to make a little pouch to hold my Lansky Puck, and maybe a small hard stone. Much like i made my axe sheaths. With a belt loop. Maybe get to that next weekend.

That movie brought back lots of memories of my time in the Great Frozen North.

I haven't camped out in woods like that in over 40 years.

It has been over 30 years since I felled a tree of any size.

Only a mere 11 years since I gave up pipe smoking . . .

But I do own 7 big trees, and I hope they all outlive me!

I sure wouldn't want to cut any one of them down.

That last saw had a motor bigger than my Hynudai uses, LOL. Maybe it was Chevy powered. If you're working like that first guy you get plenty of exercise. I imagine he has no problem sleeping at night.

Thanks for posting Nite.

Got me to thinking, I need to make a little pouch to hold my Lansky Puck, and maybe a small hard stone. Much like i made my axe sheaths. With a belt loop. Maybe get to that next weekend.

Im quite sure you should make several of,everything... Just thinkin;)

Back