• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bantam and Superbantam question

Hello,

I am having difficulty finding local dealers that stock the Bantam. there are some within 50 miles that stock a Super Bantam model.

My question is that with the additional "butt plates" or spacers, does the Super Bantam and the Bantam both end up with the same LOP if both plates are added?

If I am buying an aftermarket recoil pad, such as a LimbSaver, does it go on over the included plates or do those get removed and it goes directly on the stock (In this case, presumably the Super Bantam would then have a shorter LOP then the Bantam and thus they wouldn't be "the same").

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to minimize the number of times I drive 50 miles to a dealer which has one shotgun in stock in order to check out the fit to me.

D'oh. The Super Bantam isn't available in a wood stock. I will try to call Mossberg and see if they can tell me if any local dealers might have a Bantam model in stock. GalleryofGuns doesn't show any of the ones I want as available.

bolivianram said:
Hello,

I am having difficulty finding local dealers that stock the Bantam. there are some within 50 miles that stock a Super Bantam model.

My question is that with the additional "butt plates" or spacers, does the Super Bantam and the Bantam both end up with the same LOP if both plates are added?

If I am buying an aftermarket recoil pad, such as a LimbSaver, does it go on over the included plates or do those get removed and it goes directly on the stock (In this case, presumably the Super Bantam would then have a shorter LOP then the Bantam and thus they wouldn't be "the same").

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to minimize the number of times I drive 50 miles to a dealer which has one shotgun in stock in order to check out the fit to me.

the bantam LOP= 13"
the super bantam= 12"- 13" with adding or removing spacers.
what LOP do you need?

I won't know until I can actually handle one of these in a store! I really want to see if the wood stocked bantam 500 fits my needs (and will also be maneuverable for my wife). However it seems like the only way for me to actually get my hands on a model is to order it, at which point if I don't like it it's a little late. I've called every shop in NJ and every one nearby me in PA and none of them have the model 54132 to check out.

this might help give you a rough idea for both your LOP.

C&P

Stand with your arms at your sides.

Bend your shooting arm at the elbow and hold it at a 90-degree angle with your palm facing up. At this point, your arm should be parallel to the ground, palm open and fingers pointing forward.

Have your assistant use the tape measure to measure the distance from the inside crook of your elbow to the first (outer-most) joint on your shooting finger. Even though this measurement is between your finger and your elbow, as opposed to your finger and your shoulder where the buttstock will mount, it is an accurate measurement of your true LOP.

Thanks! That's very helpful.

I still wish I could find one so I could see what it feels like in my arm and mounted. : / I signed up for every Walmart in Eastern PA to send me an email alert when it is in stock. New Jersey walmarts apparently don't believe in guns :evil:

I bought one there last night. The guy insisted it wasn't a Bantam model "This ones YOUTH not bantam" but a 3 minute call to Mossberg & Sons resolved that discrepancy quite nicely.

congrats on both of your new mossy's. get a chance post some pics. :)

After 3 weeks of waiting for the NJ State Police to complete my NICS check (should have just gone to PA and gotten it done in 15 mins), I finally got my Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 Gauge! My first shotgun:

8623224312_f4618e3c22_c.jpg

It took me a bit to take a picture of it as it came from the sporting goods chain store FILTHY - it's a couple of years old and the packing oils really gathered a TON of dirt in that time. Additionally, my Otis pull thru kit may not be as good as I thought (or at least not for bores this big). Must have taken 15-20 patches each for the rifled barrel and the smoothbore before I got clean pulls through, using Hoppes 9, a brass brush, and a "Squeegee" during the process as well. The bores went from dark and grimy inside to SHINY. Performed the full breakdown and rebuild so I'm familiar with the weapon (and got everything inside cleaned up and re-oiled) and now I'm ready to go dirty it up at the range tomorrow morning!

I replaced the rock-hard recoil pad with a Limbsaver, and replaced the front bead with a tritium bead by Meprolight.

:) that's a great looking mossy. thank's for posting the pics. let us know how it does at the range.

Nice, I just bought the Super bantam myself recently. Nice weapon, and light. Speaking of lights, I added the Elzetta ZSM and Streamlight polytac LED HP. Bought it for mainly home defense.

Back