• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barn deconstruction and reconstruction

diyguy

.270 WIN
How I spent the 4th of July. On one of my bowhunting leases, The farmer’s Barn collapsed under last year's heavy snows. The barn is 125 years old and built from virgin timber harvested on that land. The goal for the weekend is to take down the remaining roof and build short walls for trusses that should be here in about a week. The new roof will be a steel roof. Here is what it looked like on this morning. Day one. The far side roof is what came down last winter.
barn1_zpsb2e529b5.jpg

barn2_zpsddd7b451.jpg

Here is a view of the far side that has since been cleaned up of all the debris last winter.
IMG_8941a_zps5ad613b2.jpg

There was just no way to delicately take down the barn to reclaim all those old beams except climbing up with a sawzall and removing the decking I don’t really mind safe heights. This was anything but.
barn3_zps8f047d93.jpg

We moved right along tearing away the decking and hauling it out so more could come down. (thank God for a dump wagon.)

barn4_zps0449e7c0.jpg

barn5_zps4f433e1d.jpg

There were a lot of scary heights and moments up high with a running chainsaw cutting main support beams and hoping to not have to dive off. We were gentile and took it down beam by beam. No injuries and no damage to the existing barn or beams.

barn6_zpsdcbf124e.jpg

Some of the boards are 2 feet wide. The main beams are 32 feet long and in good shape but heavy as hell. I would have love to seen this barn being built in 1889 with no nails in the entire construction of the frame.
Some more tear down to do and then reconstruction with a steel roof. The plan is to build short walls and then put up trusses with a steel roof that I think will look like when finished.
barn8_zpsaebafc01.jpg

Day two was a bit easier. A little more deconstruction and then we got into construction. Today I had some good helpers. Here they are before we set the first new (repurposed) beam to support the trusses. You can see the beam in front of them, laying on my hammer. That beam section is 8 inches by 8 inches and 168 inches long and about all two men could do to lift and place it. How the original builders raised 32 foot long beams impresses me.
barn7_zpse07929c9.jpg

I told them after the beam was set to sign it so in a 125 years the next crew would know they were her.
barn8_zpsd1f1811b.jpg

One new beam set and another to go.
barn9_zps57ebbaa8.jpg

After we set the 2nd new beam I as down to one helper.
barn91_zpsa5d44ab5.jpg

With all the beams set and existing beams reinforced we turned out attention to an unsupported wall. It was a windy day today and several gusts looked like they were about to push the wall in so we stopped to build in a temporary reinforcement. After that, the wind didn’t matter. We even had the local Holstein building inspector checking our work
barn93_zpsbd6a2172.jpg

Tomorrow I will make the final preparations for the trusses which should be delivered by next weekend.

That's some good work. Dangerous also. Most folks would have just bulldozed it or burned it. Good on 'ya for salvaging. :)

Looks like a lot of work.

What are you doing with the old boards. A friend of mine just sold a lot from his old barn. Old Barn wood seems to be in demand for people wanting to create rooms with the old wood feel.

Looking forward to following the progress.

Those wooden items not repurposed will be sold to a person in the area that buys old structures for the weathered wood.

Is it possible for me to get a block of wood from one the beams you cut? Maybe the size of a flat rate box?

Nice that you are saving it diyguy! I have been in a few of the old barns in this area and they did use some serious timbers back then. It's looks like you could use some of the Amish guys from around here.

8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8" is the small flat rate box size.....1911 grips....after it has been stabilized.....

I'm guessin it would be chestnut or oak? The grain must be really tight too? I love old growth trees. I have some river salvaged heart pine just sitting on my desk....really nice tight grain. It's turning a reddish brown color now. Beautiful stuff.

Hey Ripjack, I had a cherry tree come down last winter that by the rings is about 35 years old. It's not a 100+ year old barn but if you want a slab let me know.

The wood is hemlock. very plain and very white and sort of soft. It lookls a lot like your average home depot 2 x 4.

Awe....poop. ok. Then cancel the request. Thanx.

Weekend #2 working on the reconstruction of the collapsed barn.
The Trusses have arrived.
truss1_zps4ccd9ba7.jpg

I got the first one up myself since it couldn’t flop over with a wall to support it. Each truss weighs 256 pounds.
truss2_zpseba184a6.jpg

The second one took me much longer. I nailed on a couple long braces and worked slow. I prenail the purlin hangers so I drop them in and nail them in place.
truss3_zpsfd28e201.jpg

Not bad for 5 hours alone. Saturday I will have helpers.
Things go a lot faster with helpers.
truss5_zpsf1bb8bd3.jpg

I had to extend the roof out to account for the barn beam
truss6_zpsc35e2e7c.jpg

truss7_zpsed65f0c3.jpg

truss8_zpsac803dea.jpg

Local building inspectors were on hand.
truss92_zps5ae716f6.jpg

The front side is ready for steel.
truss9_zpse720b911.jpg

Which arrived right on schedule.
truss4_zps9565170a.jpg

The farmer bought used steel so we will have to caulk all the old nail holes but at less than half the price of new steel it fit his budget. Its already cut to the correct length and the guy threw in an extra sheet.
truss91_zps6aafd902.jpg

One side up and tacked in a half hour.
truss93_zps74000991.jpg

truss94_zps686365f0.jpg

truss997_zps46685673.jpg

While another helper nails all the steel in place I can fill in the corner wall so we can raise the steel on the back side.
Before
truss95_zps3c4d37ab.jpg

After
truss97_zps8d03c9fe.jpg

That beam between the hip roof and the new roof poses a challenge to fill it in.
truss96_zps60e770bf.jpg

All the steel is up.
truss991_zpsf6252d85.jpg

Then all is left is to deal with the beam area and to get enough ridge cap.
truss992_zps2bd67ee9.jpg

truss993_zpsb60b0ccd.jpg

truss994_zps91bf0917.jpg

truss995_zps486b2468.jpg

Then the other local inspector showed up.
truss996_zps11284f20.jpg

In two weeks I head back for more reconstruction..

With phase one complete it was time to start working on the hay barn. The farmer had already begun putting up hay under the new steel roof.
phase2_1_zps18904c67.jpg

It was originally thought we could shorten the outer wall of the old barn, cut some trees on the farm to make the rafters and build the hay barn but after careful examination it was clear the foundation was just too far gone. Also some of the beams were too rotten to build upon. That meant we had to tear down the existing structure. The plan is to reuse as much as we can (including the outer barn boards.)
phase2_2_zps83c87a60.jpg

phase2_3_zpsf12bab41.jpg

phase2_4_zps9192705a.jpg

phase2_5_zps10bb6b51.jpg

I made a video of the walls coming down.
phase2_9_zps3dcc12fd.jpg

phase2_91_zps02835e91.jpg

Once the concrete tubes are poured it will be barn building time. In the meantime the new construction is getting filled with hay.

Back