• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Options for a 500 Magpul Tactical - Breacher

Bucco78

Copper BB
I own a 500 Magpul Tactical that came equipped with an 18.5 inch breacher barrel. Took it out for the first time and really enjoyed firing the weapon. (This is my first shotgun!)

I was wondering if I can put a longer barrel on this particular model to, for example, shoot clays. The gun fits me physically really well and I'd hate to buy a second gun or trade this one... just looking for options.

Is it possible?

Very possible!!!

If you have the 8 round model you will also have to replace the magazine tube & spring but it is a very easy swap and a new tube will run you $25-$35 (if memory serves) depending on where you get it.

If you have the 6 round model I believe the lugs are in the same spot so you should be good to go.

Edit Looking the the OFM site looks like they may only offer that model in a 6 round version so I think you should be good to go.

Thanks Mike D! I have the 6 round model. Is there a link to a page that shows me the exact barrels that will work to choose from?

Like I said. Love the gun. This was a gift from my father-in-law, who works in public safety so he took me to a police/swat outfitter where he is able to shop and picked this out for me after telling him that my experience with the 500 was my favorite. So... he totally went tactical! I can't blame him being that my first need was home defense... but I'd like to spend time shooting as much as possible!

We do indeed like pics!

Heck, you could get a field barrel, or one threaded for choke tubes, and you could get a rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope base for sabotted slugs if you ever want to use it for deer hunting.

I got a "new" 28" ported, ribbed barrel with chokes off Gunbroker a couple years ago. Took a few weeks of scouting the ads before I found one reasonable (ie: under $100). About $90 to my door... :) It might have come off a Maverick because I don't think it says "Mossberg" on it. Retail they are in the $160 range. Midway might have a "better" price or look on your local Armslist or similar local firearms sale website.

Back