• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel porting

Good job John !!

These guys seem to be proficient in regards to the porting of shotgun barrels...why not mimic what they seem to already have perfected...
( see Oli's barrel above )

Just a thought...

===============

The Vang Comp barrel modification system:

Lengthening the forcing cone
of the shotgun barrel to allow a smoother transition of the shot column from chamber to bore, thus decreasing recoil and shot deformation.

Back-bore the barrel so that the shot column is gradually tapered and squeezed together as it traveled down the bore towards the muzzle.

The hot gas is then discarded through 62 compensation ports , 31 on either side of the front sight, which contributes to the flat shooting, reduced felt recoil, eliminated muzzle flip and diminished muzzle flash characteristics.

=================

62 ports would be rather tedious without a cnc mill.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but that would be pretty tough to do manually.

Understood...but the size and spacing might give you an idea of which way works...and why.

Ok, first i apologise for the s***y photos and rough measurements but hopefully theyll give you some kind of idea.

uploadfromtaptalk1447702933976.jpg
Choke depth

uploadfromtaptalk1447702948982.jpg
Muzzle to centre of first top port

uploadfromtaptalk1447702973156.jpg
Muzzle to centre of lower first port

uploadfromtaptalk1447702996243.jpg
OD of port (upper set)

uploadfromtaptalk1447703015889.jpg
OD of port (lower set)

uploadfromtaptalk1447703059537.jpg
Total ports length

Hope this helps mate if you need anything else just ask

Cheers
Voodoo

I can explain how to read that caliper if anyone needs help... ;)

One way to find the ID of the port holes would be with the solid end of a drill bit. It should fit tight enough that there is no wobble and that would be the "size" of the hole...

Back