• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel ports.

You guys that have the 500 "All Purpose" Field 12ga[28' barrel], do you notice any difference with that ported barrel? Anyone standing next to you complain? Or, nothing to it? This was brought up to me by a fellow shotgunner. I really thought about it. My 500 Field 20ga does not have porting. Still waiting to pick up the 12. Just curious. Thanks.

They do slightly increase the apparent volume to the sides a little.

But nothing compared to how loud a shotgun is to begin with.

Porting doesn't really help recoil or muzzle flip though.

My only ported shotgun is a Mossberg 500 SPX, 18 1/2" barrel. I've noticed no increase in sound, had no complaints from those around me on the firing line and felt no reduction in perceived recoil. So mostly nothing to it, although with certain loads there is a really cool blast of flame from the ports visible when shooting on an indoor range :D

So, trap shooting lead, then bird hunting using lead 6's& 7.5's, and steel[Fed Speed-Shok] #6's should be worry free? Again, in the ported 12ga 500 Field. Just don't want any hassle with common ammo with the ports. Thanks.

Back