• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Before I load these....

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
.....I thought I would throw up some pics .

Hornady 55gr FMJ vs. Hornady 75gr HPBT Match ......My 1:8 loves these, in fact it hasn't met a bullet it didn't shoot well

I put some Black Hills 76 grainer's through my BCM 1:8... those certainly wolloped a hell of a lot more than your standard 5.56. I like being able to hear a thwamp vs a ting;)

I was shooting some cinder blocks a while back and was really surprised they broke through the blocks way better than 55gr fmj's.......wasn't expecting that from a hollow point.

I was shooting some cinder blocks a while back and was really surprised they broke through the blocks way better than 55gr fmj's.......wasn't expecting that from a hollow point.
Yeah BUT that's a hollow point match. They don't expand - they just move a bit of weight farther back for balance. The tiny hole is either inconsequential or MAY have a positive effect on flight as well. They COULD make a 'hollow front' bullet and close the tiny hole up if they wanted.

I started shooting 75s when I built the 7:1 16" late last year. Going + 20 grains DOES make a difference!! :)

yeah, just structurally they don't seem as solid at first glance and thought, but your correct, and that open tip is supposed to create some sort of air pocket anomaly to help in accuracy. That being said the presence of a cannelure is what is supposed to create damage beyond an fmj's capabilities, although these have no cannelure I have yet been able to recover one of these that wasn't in 10 pieces of shrapnel in the water jugs.......I get a better recovered SP 55gr. They BLOW UP shit bad and it just tears water jugs a new one, major damage

Yessir, I find that the less expensive SP bullets are (to my eye and water tunnel) every bit as explosive as the plastic tipped wonders - red, green whatever!

I did get a big grin recently with a 110gr Nosler black tipped varmint round (30 cal in the 300 BLK) - shot low on a 16oz plastic soda bottle with plain water and a cap — I saw the cap at about the 6' height and walked down to nothing but plastic bits and a wet spot. Not a scientific test but I got the distinct feeling that the bullet was a keeper! Too bad I bought the last box. i'll send one in the tank and take a pic of what's left. now that the weather is nicer...

that would be cool, I have some 180gr balitic tip 30-06's I should see what they do someday since I have been able to shoot game with one yet, because I apparently forgot how to hunt or have had a bad luck streak lol

that would be cool, I have some 180gr balitic tip 30-06's I should see what they do someday since I have been able to shoot game with one yet, because I apparently forgot how to hunt or have had a bad luck streak lol
Well, when you learn how to make deer 'appear' PLEASE give me a call!
BTW - My 'big' gun - the 300 BLK can just make major power factor so I've had a 178 30 cal to 1900 fps. - you have a WHOLE lot more powder to play with!!

Thinking of doing some IMR 4895 on the 75's

I have two pound of AR-Comp but the data is real slim on it

I am torn between those two for the next 200 75's

Any input is appreciated.......

cool, don't have any Varget and I haven't seen any since January.....have even loaded with it yet

4895 it is

Do those heavier match, hollow points fragment or do they hold together. I though match hpbt ammo fragmented fairly easily, making it not a good hunting choice for larger thicker skinned game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how are you doing on the Blackout front ?
The gun runs like a clock. I went right for the major power factor rounds (so I knew that I had it!) - the Enos gang pretty much have it down 175/178gr bullets with Alliant 1680 or 5744 (bought 5 lbs at LGS once I had it!) pushing it. Add a mag primer if needed. ZING. Now I've been working on some long distance 150gr rounds. I'll post targets soon. I'm in a shootout that ends on the 30th.

Do those heavier match, hollow points fragment or do they hold together. I though match hpbt ammo fragmented fairly easily, making it not a good hunting choice for larger thicker skinned game.
haven't shot and animal with one but I have tried to recover some through water jugs and near as I can tell the fragment every time , violently. I can recover more from a 55gr softpoint

Back