• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Benchmade - worth the $$$ ??

Husker88

.270 WIN
Elite Member
I'm not a true knife addict. I tend to buy based on what the intended use is. Not being an outdoors-man [any more] I lead towards the simple folders and thumb-assist units so that my ageing fingers can get the blade out one-handed. Practical, inexpensive, blah blah. Right now my daily pocket special is a Smith & Wesson ExtremeOps. Nice and functional, but I've found the partially serrated blade is more annoying than useful.

ALL THAT SAID, I see a lot of reviews, articles, etc. about Benchmade knives. I thought a Benchmade Presidio would be nice - but I just cannot justify the cost for a daily pocket knife. Maybe I'm just taken in by all the hype.

Any feedback on Benchmade, or the new kid on the USA-Made block: Montana Knife Co., would be appreciated. The American made aspect of the Montana brand is appealing, but the last time I checked they had not yet started making folding knives.

THANKS

Husker88, can't comment on Benchmade other than good reputation. But as you said $$$.

You might want to look at Spyderco. I've used one of their folder for about 40 years without issues. They are also an American company out of Colorado.

The other folder I use daily for tough jobs is a cheap Milwaukee Fastback. Certainly not in the class of Benchmade or Spyderco but these are single blade workhorses and sharpen well.

Regards

Hey guys, not to resurrect an old topic of discussion or de-rail this one but wasn't Benchmade involved in a couple of anti-gun controversies going back to like 2019? I thought there was some donations to anti-gun politicians and then they even helped the cops chop up guns for disposal or something?

Honestly, I've avoided their products since. I don't know for sure if any of these issues were refuted with any degree of certainty.

CMC, you are right regarding the controversial issues back in 2019. Benchmade, a Oregon company helped the local police department destroy a number of confiscated weapons and the local police department issued a statement and pictures to the fact which got lots of blowback to the company. It was also made public that the company supported for a couple of Democratic politicans. The president of Benchmade issued some statements but there was a lot of public pushback.

I'm not sure how folks feel about the company these days. But I suspect an internet search would shine some light.

These days there typically is no second chance for companies that take political positions.

Regards

I'll have to look into that side of their history. There is SO much...material...out there that a person just doesn't know what or who to believe.

I know some companies that serve largely the 2A industry have been accused of playing both sides, when in reality they may have been blackmailed into supporting a leftist politician or cause due to pressure from their bank [or banks]. THAT happens a lot. Look at Bank of America willingly handing info to the feds without warrant, cause or request.

In truth, Benchmade and all of the designer knives are just too much for me. While I can make the expenditure, I can't really justify a $300 pocket knife. I'm just too cheap. There are more important things right now: food, shelter, fuel....and 00 buck. ;)

Benchmade, a Oregon company helped the local police department destroy a number of confiscated weapons and the local police department issued a statement and pictures to the fact which got lots of blowback to the company.
Personally, as a Libertarian, I don't have a problem with an owner of a firearm opting to destroy it rather than sell it. I don't agree, but I also feel anyone can do what they want with their legally-owned personal property. I do believe police depts should make an effort to gain maximum value from confiscated firearms through sales to FFLs rather than just destroy them.

Search "gunbusters" on Gunbroker and you will find a number of companies that their business model is destroying gun receivers and selling the rest of the parts. I've seen some rather desirable antiques get parted and I find that rather sad. Where they get the guns I do not know... :(

Personally, as a Libertarian, I don't have a problem with an owner of a firearm opting to destroy it rather than sell it. I don't agree, but I also feel anyone can do what they want with their legally-owned personal property. I do believe police depts should make an effort to gain maximum value from confiscated firearms through sales to FFLs rather than just destroy them.

Search "gunbusters" on Gunbroker and you will find a number of companies that their business model is destroying gun receivers and selling the rest of the parts. I've seen some rather desirable antiques get parted and I find that rather sad. Where they get the guns I do not know... :(
I don't disagree...anyone can do what they want with their own property. From my understanding Benchmade offered or agreed to do the destruction of confiscated firearms. As a business closely related the gun business with lots of crossover in clientele....I think it was a very stupid move. But hey, to each their own and each person can decide for themselves.

If they wanted to be a good guy to the local cops why not direct them to another machine shop? Personally, I think it was a deliberate act and it was posted online by the local cops. Benchmade executives are either really, really dumb or they were actually signalling. I tend to think the latter due to the other incidents.

I've talked to cops about this and for the most part, guns set for destruction are either stolen and original owner can't be located or they were involved in a crime and surrendered by the original owner for destruction. Thusly, the police dept. can't legally "own" the gun to be able to sell it.

Totally agree, they do it here too. I just wouldn't want to be a party to it myself.

Here's the thing as I see it Bob, the government has the luxury of writing laws. They could change the law and benefit in the process. But I don't believe that'll ever happen because the overarching goal is to reduce the number of firearms in civilian hands. In the end they do it because they want to...it fits the goal.

I bought a Mossberg shotgun at a sheriffs auction here in Oklahoma a few years back. As I reall firearms were the on ly items auctioned that day. We do have some redeeming qualities here. lol.

I bought a Mossberg shotgun at a sheriffs auction here in Oklahoma a few years back. As I reall firearms were the on ly items auctioned that day. We do have some redeeming qualities here. lol.
More than a few. Some years ago the state government amended their constitution to forbid the implementation of Sharia law or any variant thereof. Bravo.

Back