• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best round / pellet size for small game?

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
Just wanted to get some opinions on the best round and/or pellet size to use for rabbit, squirrel and game of similar size. Also, is this going to work with small bird type game as well? Sorry if this is more of a hunting forum thread, wasn't sure were to stick it.

22 LR is a great choice for squirrel and rabbit. Insanely accurate at workable range is the reason. A Ruger MarkIII pistol with a Bushnell Trophy 2-6X32 handgun scope, or a Ruger 10/22 rifle is all you need. This is a mossberg forum, so if you are facing zombie squirrel or bunnies one of these would be cool!
70845.jpg
;)
3077609559_5cacf48a56.jpg

I have had good luck with

Squirrel, rabbit # 6
Turkey and flying ducks # 4
Flying geese #2

If I wanted to pick one for all it would be #4 and hope to get the shot off quick for geese and try for the head on small furry creatures so as not to riddle the meat up too bad. I don’t have much experience with steel shot just with lead, haven’t hunted with a shotgun in a long time.

Most important is to pattern the gun with different size shot and play with different chokes at varying distances so you know just how far you can take the payload and still be effective. My hunting shotgun has a polly choke so again no experience with threaded chokes.

What gun and choke are you starting with ?

blue said:
22 LR is a great choice for squirrel and rabbit.

Yeah it is if you can get them to pause and look at you for a second but I suck at leading with a 22 on such a small target.

oli700 said:
blue said:
22 LR is a great choice for squirrel and rabbit.

Yeah it is if you can get them to pause and look at you for a second but I suck at leading with a 22 on such a small target.

Oh no doubt. Ethical hunting with a 22 requires a stationary target. You hit a rabbit in the hindend with a 22 you just crippled a rabbit, you didn't kill it. If it drags itself off you either find it, or you're a dick. You'll have fewer opportunities with a 22, but an instant kill and pristine meat is the benefit.

I used to hunt rabbit with a .22 back in the day. Since I took a crack at it with a .410 I'll never go back. Less it be a swarm of zombie rabbits, like you mentioned above! :lol:

Mossy 500 20 gauge field/deer combo (54282). For small game I'll be using the field barrel, which I believe comes with a few different Accu-Choke tubes. I'll pattern them to see what I like best, but I'll probably start with modified and see where to go from there.

I made the mistake of asking one of the employees at Scheel's for a recommendation while I was waiting for my normal guy to get done with another customer and his response was, "Oh, it doesn't really matter. I've been shooting guns since I was little and they're all the same unless you're shooting at clays for a competition." ... boy, you're about 2 seconds from getting smacked upside the head. Learn your products then come back to work. -sigh-

Unbelievable how they hire these people…waist of skin. I have boycotted a couple places for that.

There are 2 employes there that no matter how busy they are, I will wait for to make any gun purchasing decisions because they've proven to me that they; 1.) Know their stuff and 2.) Have ACTUAL experience shooting varied models of firearms. Sadly, though, none of my local gun shops/sporting goods stores are very well staffed with knowledgeable people. I'll find the rare exception, but it's like anyone that knows anything is smart enough not to work at these places.

I know what you mean about boycotting places. We have a locally owned pizza place here that I refuse to eat at any more because one of their managers flat out called me a liar when I told them they messed my order up. I don't get mad to easy, but you can bet the owner got an ear full after I was done ripping that woman a new pooper.

there is only one thing worse than messing with my guns and thats messing with my food

Here's a good chart that shows the sizes of the shotshell projectiles...and depending on the range and size of the quarry, one can judge the load needed to take the target down without spoiling the meat. If the target is not to be ingested, such as a pest kill, I still decided by size of game and distance, always going for a clean kill.

SHOTGUNPELLETSIZECHART.jpg

PREDATORXTREMESHIRT.jpg

One load for all, I'm agreeing with the #4. Generally for bird #6.

Sorry I'm a little behind the curve right now due to my lack of the interwebs...

Rabbit... Allison killed a rabbit one shot with a pellet gun the other night. Would I recommend a pellet gun? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I told her not to do it again, but man shes an excellent shot!!! One shot right behind the ear, it jumped and died in 30 seconds. I'd rather it didnt take that long, but with a pellet gun that lacks the weight and force of a bullet, you cant do any better...

Back