• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

best shotgun under $250

i know this is a mossberg forum but it has been years since i bought a shotgun and just thought i would ask this question as i'm not knowing of all the models that may be out today. i am in need of a shotgun by november, i'm saving now and by then will have around $250 or so, i have about $160 now if that will get one. i will be using it as a deer gun in thick woods with shots 50-75yds at most, also it will double as a home gun along with my lcr 9mm. i am wanting a 12 gauge as i have lots of ammo saved up and don't want another gauge. like i said since it's been several years since i bought a shotgun, i thought i would ask what models can i get and the best bang for the dollar? thanks for any help

Don't know how your local pawn shops are where you're at, but you can sometimes find a gem at a good price if you are patient and shop around.

And the ones we have locally usually have a layaway plan.

It's worth checking into.

In no particular order,

Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 probably have the most aftermarket support for them where aftermarket accessories are concerned.

The (Mossberg) maverick 88 is basically the Mexican version, but be aware that the front end and the trigger group/safety are different than the 500's and not all parts are interchangeable.

Hard to go wrong with a good Winchester 1200, or 1300.

Stevens makes good shotguns.

If you can find an Ithaca model 37, grab it up. Unlikely in your price range, but it's worth saying anyway.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

PS
Just because it's a Mossberg forum, doesn't mean we snub noses for picking something else. We're collectors, shooters, hunters, and enthusiasts foremost.

Glad to see you this evening @old mossy

^^^pretty much all I could have said. Totally agree.

The savage Stevens I've been seeing a lot of lately in your price range. Even some of the new Winchesters. Of course the maverick 88 is in there too.

I'd love to find an Ithaca 37 but like you said John, not likely close to that price.

Our local pawn shops do layaway too. That's a great way to put something down on a gun if you find something you're really digging and then pay on it just the same as you're saving. The one pawn shop near here has a 90 day layaway but they'll let you pay indefinitely as long as you're paying something.

If it's to be a house gun too, I'd stay with the smooth bore as opposed to rifled.

If it's to be a house gun too, I'd stay with the smooth bore as opposed to rifled.

In the case of a 500 or 870, there's thousands of different (replacement) barrels for sale at any give time.

Ebay.

Gunbroker

Gun forums.

gun stores and internet parts houses like brownells

etc.

So, if one of those two don't have the exact barrel that you want, doesn't mean that you can't get a different one as money allows. That's why I said that the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 have the largest aftermarket support.

Many barrels usually hover around $100 depending on what you want exactly give or take.

And some (new) mossbergs come with 2 barrels to begin with, but you usually pay up a little more for that.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500.
Since then I have added 3 more for a total of 4.
Everyone was purchased used. All were purchased for under $200 each!

My gun safe is FULL of all kinds of shotguns for many different types of shooting. My wife and I both shoot Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays and hunt.

A 500 is a great starter gun for any type of shooting. Actually I do reach for one of my 500's quite often when heading out to shoot. That is except for going Trap shooting, my Browning gets the call there.

Look at used 500's for the price you can't beat them!

i went today and found a great deal on a new mossberg maverick 88, i got the gun for just over $150 otd. it has the 28" barrel but i can get a slug barrel for it to deer hunt if the field barrel doesn't shoot them well. the guy at the shop said he uses his 88 28" field barrel to shoot slug to 50yds and does good so i'm hopeful. thanks everyone.

Great deal! Congrats on your new Mav88. You can put any size barrel on it you want now from the 500 12ga family.

P.S. Contact Mike D. he might be able to help you out with a slug barrel. PM him;) @MikeD

Yeah, MikeD did have a slug barrel he was going to sell.

Congratulations on the good deal on the 88.

I shoot slugs out of smoothbores all the time. Granted I don't try to shoot more than 50 yards with them either, but they'll typically hit boiler room of deer no problem.

Congrats on the purchase.

I have been known to hit an 8" plate with a smooth bore 28" shooting slugs at 100 yds. Using one of my 500's and nothing but bead sights.

It can be done!

Tough to beat an 88, especially if cost is a factor. I'd like a Benelli M4, but @ $2,000 each, I could have 10 Maverick 88s. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

Back