• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best way to store unloeaded 590

DTL

What is the preferred way to store your unloaded 590, action open or closed? I usually leave the action open in case I need to grab it and combat load a shell but I was wondering if this was bad in any way for the shotgun.

I leave the action open if it's unloaded. It can easily be verified visually that it's clear.

I leave the action open, only thing I don't like is having to remember not to pick up the gun by the forend and cycling the action when removing it from the safe.

My take is that the firearm should be stored with the bolt closed and unloaded. Gun safe, home hiding spot, car, truck, etc. Firearm should always be verified once it is in your hands.
If you need it ready to go then you may as well have 1 in the chamber and rely on the safety. Safety on or off it's your decision. Make this decision wisely!!
There is no advantage to open unloaded storage vs loaded storage. Loaded storage is the fastest way to get the weapon ready to use. You really need to be disciplined to apply this strategy. Leave this to the professionals.

My take is that the firearm should be stored with the bolt closed and unloaded. Gun safe, home hiding spot, car, truck, etc. Firearm should always be verified once it is in your hands.
If you need it ready to go then you may as well have 1 in the chamber and rely on the safety. Safety on or off it's your decision. Make this decision wisely!!
There is no advantage to open unloaded storage vs loaded storage. Loaded storage is the fastest way to get the weapon ready to use. You really need to be disciplined to apply this strategy. Leave this to the professionals.

Please explain what you meant when you said to make this decision wisely.

Any particulars on what is disciplined and applying a strategy actually was intended to describe.

I can and am always open to always learning a great deal more and enjoy the discovery of new strategies.

If the gun is stored in a case, container or safe, it is stored unloaded and uncocked, hammer down. "At rest" if you will... It seems to me if you leave the action open you invite dust, etc and also put continuous compression on the hammer spring. Would this lead to light primer strikes? I don't care to find that out... ;)

A rifle "go" bag will also have an unloaded gun, safety off but the mags will be full. Load mag, cycle bolt, ready-to-go!

Any pistol in a nightstand, desk, toolbox, waistband, briefcase, etc. is intended to be used immediately and is therefore fully loaded with one in the chamber, safety on (if equipped).

PS: I don't currently have a shotgun as a HD gun, but if I did it would be in condition 1 (fully loaded, 1 in chamber, safety on). I do have a PG in my trunk with a box/5 00buck that would have to be loaded in the tube. The aforementioned go bag is also there...

Last edited:
I've never worried about dust on an open action. After quite a few years like this, everything still functions and cycles and fires.

Please explain what you meant when you said to make this decision wisely.

Any particulars on what is disciplined and applying a strategy actually was intended to describe.

I can and am always open to always learning a great deal more and enjoy the discovery of new strategies.
Nitesite,
Let me try to explain. I'm a better talker than writer!
There are really 3 decisions I'm referring to in my post. All 3 need to be considered wisely. The first is to decide if the weapon should be stored loaded or unloaded. The second is to decide if a round should be in the chamber or not. The third is if the safety should be on or off.
The OP was asking if he should store his PG with action open "ready to combat load a shell" if the need should arise.
My point is that there is little advantage in this with respect to combat readiness. He would be better off storing it with a full magazine and 1 in the chamber and bolt closed if combat readiness is the #1 criteria.
The safety on or off decision needs the most thought of all. If he considers cocked and locked then there is at least 1 fail safe left in the go bang process. If he considers cocked and unlocked then it's only a matter of 5 or 6 lbs of trigger pull.
To apply the cocked and unlocked strategy (the fastest possible "readiness" strategy) requires superior discipline on the part of the operator. This type of strategy should only be used by professionals that require immediate response. I'd not recommend this as a strategy for the average guy wanting home defense. If there are other family members or people in the house it would be extremely dangerous.
One consideration for the OP is a SxS coach gun. He could leave this cracked open with 2 rounds in the bed side table drawer for fast loading. This way he would have 2 rounds with 2 trigger pulls.
Hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
A wise old man once said:
  • Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down. (store in safe or case this way)
  • Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down. ("Israeli carry", rack slide to bring to Condition 0)
  • Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down. (double-action pistols)
  • Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on. ("cocked and locked", 1911 pistols)
  • Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off. (gun is ready to fire with a squeeze of the trigger)
This was mainly to describe handguns but could apply to long guns, as well. By default, if the bolt is back, the hammer is back (cocked).

With my shotguns at home leaning against the night stands I opt for Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine tube in place, ready to cycle. Safety Matters; should this shotgun get knocked over for what ever reason there is NO chance a round will go off aka accidental discharge.

Wiped down and placed in the safe. I store most of my firearms in Condition 3 with the chamber empty, a full magazine in place, hammer down.

Back