• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bisley Uk long range 11th Aug 2021

Daryll

.270 WIN
Had one of my rare trips to Bisley a week or 2 ago with my Club... normally about a 2hr drive from me, but being summer time, it took 2 1/2 hrs to get there, and 3 1/2 hrs to get back!

Bisley in Surrey, just south west of London, is the home of the Uk NRA, and a large range complex with ranges from 10m to 1200 yds, and everything in between.

I took my .308 MVP LC with the replaced barrel... I'd previously tried the stock rifle at 900yds, and I think I hit the target once!.. an 18'' barrel is too short for long range.
The new 24'' match barrel is much better.. :D
I was using handloads, Hornady 155gn HPBT match bullets over Vhit N140, doing about 2800 fps.

We started at 600yds... conditions were bright, mainly sunny, varying breeze left to right.

Most of the targetry at Bisley is electronic, which is great (when it works!!), so you can see where your shots go, and take a photo of the results.... this was my first group.

(sorry for the reflections, it was a sunny day!)

Tried again, this was the second group...Starting to get the hang of reading the wind a bit better...

Last group of the morning... a litle more scattered... and i had an odd spare round so used that up.. 11 shots fired..

After a break for lunch we moved to the 1000yd range... the furthest I've ever shot..!

This is where it started to fall apart a little... my first group was all over the place, and i strugged to get on target. It turns out the wind had increased a bit and I was going right. Once I dialled in more windage, they started going on the target, but only 5 of my shots were on... I didn't bother taking a photo.

Then the Electronic targets started playing up...not reading shots. One of the other shooters was putting them all in the bull, then it didn't read a couple of hits, then the last shot in the bull again.

When i next shot, it only registered 7 of my 10 shots... I fired another 3, but it only registered one of them.. so 13 shots fired, 8 shown on target.

At that point I was out of ammo, tired, and hot, so decided to call it a day. I did stop off at the NRA shop and picked up some .22rf ammo, then headed home.

Generally pleased with the day, and it shows my gun/ammo combination can "reach out and touch" at longer range.... but I need to change my scope.

I'd bought an Athelon Argos BTR 8-34x56 FFP scope for long range, but found that while it was fine on lower magnification, up to about 16x, over that it wouldn't focus on the target.... at 34x nothing I did with the focus/parallax knob would get it into focus.

I've now returned it to the retailer and exchanged it for a Sightron 6-24x50 FFP... lower magnification, but higher quality..!

I am very envious. I never get to shoot at those kind of distances.

But, looks like you sure know how.

Yes, nice targets! I can't shoot over 400 yds here, without the complications of joining another club, with more commitments.

Our club only has 25 and 50 yard ranges, so the club does book other ranges...Bisley is the easiest to book, the club is a member of the NRA, but we also book closer military ranges and one private one...
This coming Sunday we have a morning shoot on a military CGR (Converted Gallery Range), about an hour away from me, where we can shoot up to 600yds... only downside is its not the new-fangled electronic targets, half the squad have to be down in the butts scoring and marking the targets while the other half shoot, then swap over half way through the morning.

Back